Latest Movies

B*D*A

On 1/18/2022 at 9:45 PM, Duck said:

Disagree, respectfully of course. Don’t Look Up was one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I hate being preached to by the Left or the Right. This ended up being left wing propaganda for a painstaking 2:18. It wasn’t even entertaining. Skip it. You will thank me.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Don't Look Up was fine.  You're just falling into the traps of critics.  They're bandwaggoning the hate and I don't know why.  In the tone of Jen Lawrence, What the Fuck Is Wrong With You????  I loved the lampooning of billionaires.  I loved byline of the gaslighting politics.  They didn't preach to you, they just tried to reveal the absurdity of politicians and gazillionaires.  Don't skip it.  You will thank someone, especially when you think, "we can't be this stupid, can we?" 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The worst movies I have ever seen have been "Tarzan, the Ape Man," and "The Phantom Thread."

Today I add another to the pantheon of film turds:

Moonfall.

Absolutely horrible.

Unrelated, but during the opening credits I notice that some of the executive producers are Chinese as are the studios "in association with."

Which explains the inclusion of the Chinese space agency and an out of place Chinese exchange student featured in small, but heroic roles.

What a piece of garbage movie.  Not worth watching in theater or at home on any service or even having the electrons in your home.

I need some whisky...

4 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

Unrelated, but during the opening credits I notice that some of the executive producers are Chinese as are the studios "in association with."

I’ve been seeing that a lot lately. The Chinese market is hugely enticing to the entertainment industry and it’s not surprising to see the increased collaboration. The absolute best commentary I’ve seen on the situation is South Park’s “Band in China” episode. In addition to being hilarious, it absolutely hits the nail on the head and should be required watching for anyone who likes western democracy. 

16 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

Which explains the inclusion of the Chinese space agency and an out of place Chinese exchange student featured in small, but heroic roles.

Just now noticing this?

It's incredible how many movies pander aggressively to China. Once you see it you'll notice it everywhere.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:55 PM, Prozac said:

I’ve been seeing that a lot lately. The Chinese market is hugely enticing to the entertainment industry and it’s not surprising to see the increased collaboration. The absolute best commentary I’ve seen on the situation is South Park’s “Band in China” episode. In addition to being hilarious, it absolutely hits the nail on the head and should be required watching for anyone who likes western democracy. 

I mean they forced Disney to include a "historic" map of the 9-dash line in Mulan to allow it to release in China, an audience Disney knew it would excel in. Now 60 million American children will grow up with a sub conscience thought that China has historically owned those waters and territories, despite the fact that no map of the 9-dash line appeared prior to WW2. 

Not a movie, but if you have Amazon Prime, I’d recommend checking out Counterpart. It premiered on Starz back in 2017; interesting concept and really entertaining. 

And yeah, boo China. They’re the worst. This shit didn’t fly when Harvey Weinstein ran Hollywood. #justsayin /s

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mp5g said:

Not a movie, but if you have Amazon Prime, I’d recommend checking out Counterpart. It premiered on Starz back in 2017; interesting concept and really entertaining. 

And yeah, boo China. They’re the worst. This shit didn’t fly when Harvey Weinstein ran Hollywood. #justsayin /s

+1 for counterpart

10 hours ago, di1630 said:

Has anyone watched “downfall” on Netflix about the 737 max?

Watched it last night. Those Boeing execs should've went to prison, however as to be expected the CEO received that $65M golden parachute when he was told to resign by the board. I see a lot of the same quality control problems that Boeing has with their commercial aircraft in the KC-46 (which also has a version of MCAS, but not like the shit design of the original MAX).

5 hours ago, M2 said:

Nope, when you say Downfall this is the movie I think of (and all the parody videos from it!)...

Australian worker sacked over Downfall meme video wins job back in federal  court | Industrial relations | The Guardian

But here's the link to the documentary you mentioned, it looks interesting!

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81272421

This movie is actually fantastic and I recommend it to anyone interested in WW2 history.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

My youngest did an engineering ethics class getting his EE degree and did a paper on Boeing for the class. Building the 737 MAX to "save money" had cost Boeing @ $34 billion up to that point. 

The merger with MD was the worst thing that happened to Boeing which has caused a negative cascading effect.

With MCAS, they already had it in the KC-46, which is dual source input from both AOAs and allows the pilots to disengage it with yoke input. Since the technology already existed, why put a poorly designed version of it in the the 737 MAX?

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sua Sponte said:

The merger with McDonald Douglas was the worst thing that happened to Boeing which has caused a negative cascading effect.

Best way I’ve heard it put is that MD bought Boeing with Boeing’s money. Somehow it was a majority of MD execs that wound up running the company after the merger. I’ve also heard it said that McDonnell kills everything they touch. Did it when they merged with Douglas & doing it again with Boeing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Best way I’ve heard it put is that MD bought Boeing with Boeing’s money. Somehow it was a majority of MD execs that wound up running the company after the merger. I’ve also heard it said that McDonnell kills everything they touch. Did it when they merged with Douglas & doing it again with Boeing. 

That’s what I never understood, how did the CEO of MD become the Boeing CEO after the merger when his company was the one that was acquired? 

Cyrano.

Very good date movie (or if you really, really like Broadway musicals...not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Advance spoilers:  It's a musical.  It's a tearjerker.  Both were strikes I wasn't looking forward to, but I promised CinCHouse that I would take her.

Outstanding movie and Peter Dinklage acted his ass off.

No regrets.

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2022 at 2:31 PM, brickhistory said:

Cyrano.

Very good date movie (or if you really, really like Broadway musicals...not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Broadway Bro Down!

• Haha 1

Death on the Nile.

The 69th remake of the Agatha Christie mystery.

Pretty people dressed in pretty clothes on the Nile in late 1930s Egypt.

No real action, no real skin (pity since Gal Gidot ((of course, she's in everything)) and Margot Robbie lookalike Emma Mackey are 9.5s...).  Decent writing.

Meh...ok date movie.