What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

17 minutes ago, Standby said:

If you’re too dumb to grab your booze before starting your shift or after it ends…maybe you shouldn’t be destroying more of those braincells? I don’t agree with the why behind it, but I also don’t see 2200-0600L sales restrictions being unnecessarily burdensome. 

Because there's times you alert at 0400 to show at 0500 then fly a 17 hour day (fragged for 10) due to various delays, and the entire crew could really use a beer after that.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, LiquidSky said:

Because there's times you alert at 0400 to show at 0500 then fly a 17 hour day (fragged for 10) due to various delays, and the entire crew could really use a beer after that.

If you’re alerting from your squadron and you don’t have a stocked bar, shack your LPA. If it’s from a forward location, shack yourself for not keeping a stash of road sodas for morale after demonstrating exemplary performance. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2023 at 5:59 AM, Danger41 said:

Just stay in, have the kid, take a year off, never be available when you come back, schedule kid appointments in the middle of the day, come off sorties constantly because “the baby had a rough night”, get sent to the wing after the article about being a fierce fighter pilot Queen that can do it all, get tagged for a deployment, immediately get pregnant again, repeat cycle. 

Happens in MX too, had a troop have 3 babies in 5 years, she was our training NCO, just making everyone got scheduled and we had no red slides. She was an SRA then when it was time to come back to the flight line, she had a line # for Tech. She was given a jet as a DCC with strong SSGT who the actual Crew Chief was. I felt sorry for her, she thought she would stay in the training the office but her rank and DAFSC required us to put her on the line.  Also spending 4 years being pregnant she put on weight, and the fat boy program was messing with her to get it off. She was a great troop but being short and top heavy she chose to separate. If she was ops I would imagine her life would have been easier but MX at this time we were short of everything, and she had to pick up a wrench.

3 hours ago, Standby said:

If you’re too dumb to grab your booze before starting your shift or after it ends…maybe you shouldn’t be destroying more of those braincells? I don’t agree with the why behind it, but I also don’t see 2200-0600L sales restrictions being unnecessarily burdensome. 

Had to double check this wasn't Chang.🙂 Unnecessarily burdensome? No. Unnecessary useless bullshit? Yes.  

This was done at Hurbie, 2008ish?, to stop DUIs, lasted a short few months. How about this idea. Reverse the hours and stop selling during the day because it promotes day drinking. Same logic eh. 

Planning is cool but you do get a bit of the stink eye walking out of the express at 0630 with a 30 rack of natties on your way to crew brief.

That being said I lived in Santa Rosa county for many years with alcohol sales restrictions. You learned to plan around those. Got to the Navarre Winn Dixie one night after a flight at 1155 got to the checkout at 1159, just made it.

Not saying you agree with the restrictions

Edited by arg
Because
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Prohibition doesn't work, and I'm sick of the knee jerk reaction to ban things for promises of safety.  The same GO restricting booze sales to "keep Airmen safe" doesn't think twice about dropping a tasker at 1700 on Friday and sending those Airmen home to a furious wife after the kids are asleep.  In my experience senior leadership should look in the mirror when trying to understand rising suicides in their force. Instead, they hit the easy button of restrictions & claim a halo for their duplicity.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Prohibition doesn't work, and I'm sick of the knee jerk reaction to ban things for promises of safety.  The same GO restricting booze sales to "keep Airmen safe" doesn't think twice about dropping a tasker at 1700 on Friday and sending those Airmen home to a furious wife after the kids are asleep.  In my experience senior leadership should look in the mirror when trying to understand rising suicides in their force. Instead, they hit the easy button of restrictions & claim a halo for their duplicity.

Even worse the same GO's give themselves a personal waiver.  DJ was the perfect example, the non-SOF folks could have two beers per day (SOF was under GO 1 and could have two beers once a month), meanwhile the colonels and GOs would sit in the screened in porch at the while house drinking bourbon and scotch until two in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Even worse the same GO's give themselves a personal waiver.  DJ was the perfect example, the non-SOF folks could have two beers per day (SOF was under GO 1 and could have two beers once a month), meanwhile the colonels andGOs would sit in the screened in porch at the while house drinking bourbon and scotch until two in the morning.

Ya, that never made sense to me.  When I was there way back when, we worked in the SOF compound and I was surprised to hear they had this rule.  On the flip side, the Navy O-5 exec (Hornet driver), would blanket approve our memo anytime we asked to pick up the entire squadrons beer allotment at one time.  Do that enough times and you have a nice setup, especially when there were non-drinkers in the mix.  

To your last comment, we all know damn well that the bosses we're doing that.  If you're not in the Col club to drink their booze, make friends with the Guard squadron on base...

2 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

So...alcohol sales will discontinue until morale improves!?

19 hours ago, LiquidSky said:

Because f*ck anyone that doesn't work a normal day shift schedule.

No more late night beer runs — AAFES to end overnight alcohol sales in 2024

In a move aimed at suicide prevention. stores on Army and Air Force bases worldwide will stop selling alcohol after 10 p.m. Beer, wine, and spirits will only be sold between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. at all Base Exchanges, Shoppettes, Express shops, Class Six, and other stores run by AAFES.

So let’s not address the real causes. Overworked, under resourced, constant pressure to do more with less, ops tempo that’s higher than it was when we were actually fighting a war…nope, overnight beer sales are the cause. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

In an effort to reduce suicides, the Air Force is making suicide illegal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 11:52 PM, LiquidSky said:

Oh right because the support services on base are supportive of Aircrew schedules! Can’t count the number of times I’ve landed in RODN for example late in the evening only for every eating establishment to include the shoppete to be closed; or better yet, deployed ops, land and chow hall is closed. Heck I’ve had to haggle with AMOPS to keep the runways open for our HHQ missions. It’s an Air Force run by nonners for nonners. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, dream big said:

Oh right because the support services on base are supportive of Aircrew schedules! Can’t count the number of times I’ve landed in RODN for example late in the evening only for every eating establishment to include the shoppete to be closed; or better yet, deployed ops, land and chow hall is closed. Heck I’ve had to haggle with AMOPS to keep the runways open for our HHQ missions. It’s an Air Force run by nonners for nonners. 

Guarantee you CoCo’s was open

• Upvote 4

On 12/3/2023 at 9:32 AM, SocialD said:

Ya, that never made sense to me.  When I was there way back when, we worked in the SOF compound and I was surprised to hear they had this rule.  On the flip side, the Navy O-5 exec (Hornet driver), would blanket approve our memo anytime we asked to pick up the entire squadrons beer allotment at one time.  Do that enough times and you have a nice setup, especially when there were non-drinkers in the mix.  

To your last comment, we all know damn well that the bosses we're doing that.  If you're not in the Col club to drink their booze, make friends with the Guard squadron on base...

My time at DJ, the local Navy dudes ran a Ward Room, tent at 1st, then self funded/built a hard building.  Open on Fri and Sat nights.  Me and the guys would sip drinks, play corn hole, and bust chops.  No drink limits, just a basic rule; behave.

And most did behave, save for a P-3 dude that hit on some other unit's lady officer and got shown the door after a little physicality.  P-3 unit was banned for a month.

My boss asked if I went to the Ward Room.  Yep, proudly.  Got some work/networking done too.  He mentioned something about drink limits and I mentioned the O-6 Scotch stash.  We all behave and that's why it works.  Our little gang had zero issues.  Treat people like adults, they often behave like adults.  Such a foreign idea to many higher ups.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

My time at DJ, the local Navy dudes ran a Ward Room, tent at 1st, then self funded/built a hard building.  Open on Fri and Sat nights.  Me and the guys would sip drinks, play corn hole, and bust chops.  No drink limits, just a basic rule; behave.

And most did behave, save for a P-3 dude that hit on some other unit's lady officer and got shown the door after a little physicality.  P-3 unit was banned for a month.

My boss asked if I went to the Ward Room.  Yep, proudly.  Got some work/networking done too.  He mentioned something about drink limits and I mentioned the O-6 Scotch stash.  We all behave and that's why it works.  Our little gang had zero issues.  Treat people like adults, they often behave like adults.  Such a foreign idea to many higher ups.

I’m actually wearing my Wardroom tshirt as I type this! That place was great, when I was there the drink ‘limits’ were supposed to be two marks on your hand. Most nights I’d go back to the connex with most of my hand covered in marks. Those bartenders were awesome.

8 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

After 20" of that video, I was done. I have no clue what point he was going to make. 

Unfortunately, there is no shortage of screaming douchebags in the US Army! 🤪🤪🤪

19 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

After 20" of that video, I was done. I have no clue what point he was going to make. 

You should push through, its his schtick and not all of his vodeos are like that.  He has done some great work calling out and exposing BS directed towards our troops.  Like A senior Army GO blaming the troops for moldy barracks , calling out a Marine Officer who says publicly said "we should not commission prior enlisted because it eroded the esteem, legitimacy and distinct culture of the officer corps" , the case of a Marine Lance Corporal who as of a few months ago was under arrest and in SOLITARY CONFINEMENT for refusing to get the COVID Vaccine and my favorite an epic case of Stolen Valor he helped exposed and resulted in the offender going to prison.

11 hours ago, M2 said:

Unfortunately, there is no shortage of screaming douchebags in the US Army! 🤪🤪🤪

He is far from a douchebag, he is a guardsman and I think if you watched a few of his videos you probably share 90% of his views on things like toxic leadership, stolen valor and guns.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Sounds like they are bringing back Total Quality Management

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

He is far from a douchebag, he is a guardsman and I think if you watched a few of his videos you probably share 90% of his views on things like toxic leadership, stolen valor and guns.

I've seen his videos before and honestly, the screaming puts me off to a point where it doesn't mater what he says...

• Upvote 1