Latest Movies

B*D*A

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, b52gator said:

Final Top Gun trailer. Riding in a Tomcat and a Felon cameo at 2:03. My guess: Mav and baby Goose hijack a Tomcat and fly it out of Iran.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Admiral Kazansky reference was a nice touch too. As cheesy and rehashed as I expect this movie to be, I’m not ashamed to say I’m really, really looking forward to it. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Admiral Kazansky reference was a nice touch too. As cheesy and rehashed as I expect this movie to be, I’m not ashamed to say I’m really, really looking forward to it. 

I mean, you can’t be a military pilot and ‘not’ see Top Gun 2.  I’m old enough that I remember seeing the original when it first hit the theaters.  Hindsight, it wasn’t really appropriate for a young middle-school kid to hear all the swearing and see Tom Cruise thrusting and french kissing Kelly McGillis.

I heard Cleared Hot and M2 saw the original as well when it first hit the theaters…right after they both retired from the Air Force, so it probably brought them back some good memories of being in the military.

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, HeloDude said:

I mean, you can’t be a military pilot and ‘not’ see Top Gun 2.  I’m old enough that I remember seeing the original when it first hit the theaters.  Hindsight, it wasn’t really appropriate for a young middle-school kid to hear all the swearing and see Tom Cruise thrusting and french kissing Kelly McGillis.

I heard Cleared Hot and M2 saw the original as well when it first hit the theaters…right after they both retired from the Air Force, so it probably brought them back some good memories of being in the military.

I was born in 81'.  My Dad took me to see it in the theatres LOL.  I think my wife would kill me if I took my boys to see it.  Crazy that my 5 yr old will be about hte same age when Top Gun 2 comes out as I was when the original came out.  And Maverick is still in the Navy!

I didn’t see one person fat enough to pass for Navy in that whole trailer.

Every Key West dive school support mission 3/160 does they walk into the base gym like we are the first ones to have ever found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

On 3/30/2022 at 12:48 PM, ecugringo said:

I was born in 81'.  My Dad took me to see it in the theatres LOL.  I think my wife would kill me if I took my boys to see it.  Crazy that my 5 yr old will be about hte same age when Top Gun 2 comes out as I was when the original came out.  And Maverick is still in the Navy!

That is Awesome! This sequel won’t be nearly the draw Top Gun had in the eighties for new wanna-be fighter pilot recruits (like myself as a Senior in High School), but it should do fairly well as the Navy is once again the support group / advocate. It flooded the market with recruits for many years and it didn’t help my cause when I was deep in ROTC during Desert Storm and the immediate after math of 1200 pilot slots dropping to 100 nation wide for ROTC and the Academy suffered as well. The massive drawdown and banked pilot alternate AFSC was mind numbing. Turned out well in the end.

*I did finally snag a slot after 7 years as a MX Officer to include an age waiver and the trip was a blessing to have been a heavy driver for most of my remaining decades in the service. Still driving heavies in the civilian world globally and grateful for the amazing opportunities. Nice to fly into Dover, Charleston, Ramstein, etc and see birds I flew. Good times. Still haven’t seen any F-14s lying around as I tool around in the desert from time to time. Cruise is such an adrenaline junkie thankfully.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

Guess I should review some movie. Unless previously mentioned: Last Duel was entertaining, well - entertaining while on a business class run from Europe to Chicago. Matt Damon as a scruffy wronged hero vs Star Wars long haired jousting wife stealer Kyle Ren to include a weird Ben Affleck take all comers type of Mid-Evil Hunter Biden. If you need to kill time take a gander; if not, don’t waste your time on this he said, she said and then he said movie scenario.

Saw ‘Uncharted’ this evening with my better half.  Thought (hoped) it would be a little bit better, but it was decent I guess…corny at times and of course a lot of the action scenes were a little over the top for what they were trying to do.  Not nearly as good as when I saw the first ‘National Treasure’ 15+ years ago.

• Like 1

The trailer only showed F-18s, I wonder if Fat Amy will make an appearance in the new Top Gun.

History: I had completed my T-38 contact check and was prepping for the form check when the original came out. Some of us went together to check it out and of course were throwing penalty flags on some of the BS/hype but we still enjoyed the attention it got us at ASU's Devil House and other locations around Tempe/Mesa after its debut.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:21 AM, TreeA10 said:

I'm not sure I can withstand the outrageous level of bogosity. 

Had to look that one up.  I agree:

bogosity:  informal : the quality of being bogus : phoniness, bogusness

Old man rant ahead……

The original Top Gun was successful due to a simple two-part formula: The Tom Cruise Movie + Naval Aviation.

“The Tom Cruise Movie” is a term coined by some movie reviewer that I can’t recall.  But, in general, it’s an acknowledgement that much of Tom Cruise’s success in the early years was a product of remaking the same concept over and over.  Tom Cruise is a young, idealistic character (often with some demons from his past).  He’s placed in a new, challenging situation, where he must somehow persevere.  After some challenges, he ultimately comes out on top.  Along the way, there is a love interest.  Often an older mentor figure.

• Risky Business: Tom Cruise and Early Adulthood
  • Cocktail: Tom Cruise and Bars
  • Days of Thunder: Tom Cruise and NASCAR
  • The Firm: Tom Cruise and Evil Corporatism
  • A Few Good Men: Tom Cruise and the Military Justice System

Modern military aviation is cinematic in its own right.   It’s hard to make military aircraft not look good on the big screen.  Naval Aviation gets you the added bonus of military aviation at sea, making it even more cinematic and adding to the potential drama.

“The Tom Cruise Movie” plus Naval Aviation resulted in an instant classic that made the studios a ton of money, catapulted Tom Cruise to ultra-stardom, and made the job of Navy recruiters much easier for years.

Based on the trailers, I’m not sure what formula Top Gun: Maverick is following.  Certainly not the original formula.  It looks to be more like: Big CGI + Complex plot + Some sort of Goose-related conflict + Many, many head nods to the original.

I’m sure it’ll be cool and make a shit ton of money.  But it all looks so overdone, and just not as much of a fun movie as the original.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, bfargin said:

The trailer only showed F-18s, I wonder if Fat Amy will make an appearance in the new Top Gun.

History: I had completed my T-38 contact check and was prepping for the form check when the original came out. Some of us went together to check it out and of course were throwing penalty flags on some of the BS/hype but we still enjoyed the attention it got us at ASU's Devil House and other locations around Tempe/Mesa after its debut.

During the part with the Su-57 Felon they were in an F-14. Which makes total sense timeline wise...

TOP_GUN_2_SU-57_FELON-1.jpg?quality=70&w

There is also an SR-72/Aurora looking thing at one point (or maybe that was an older trailer). But it's in there.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So definitely not in the "latest" category, but I rewatched the 1960 "Judgement at Nuremberg."

Simply outstanding movie.  Great, understated acting.  Superb writing.  And a subject that makes you think about "orders."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So definitely not in the "latest" category, but I rewatched the 1960 "Judgement at Nuremberg."
Simply outstanding movie.  Great, understated acting.  Superb writing.  And a subject that makes you think about "orders."

Concur

Field Farmer Hare scene with Montgomery Clift was / is one of the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Batman" is on HBO now, so I could watch it at home on my 4K home theatre, pause it to go take a piss and not miss out on anything (great for a 3 hr show), make my own non-shitty non-salt-bomb popcorn, etc.  Read that the writer/director wanted to re-imagine Bruce Wayne as a pseudo Kurt Cobain, as a strung-out reclusive night shift guy, and used Pattinson's pasty emo vampire background ability to go a bit further.  Which is interesting, seeing said dude in Tenet and a fucked-up indie sci-fi movie called 'High Life', he's obviously more than that.

Anyway it was okay.  I give it a 7/10 or so, maybe 8.  C to B effort.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:14 AM, Clayton Bigsby said:

"The Batman" is on HBO now, so I could watch it at home on my 4K home theatre, pause it to go take a piss and not miss out on anything (great for a 3 hr show), make my own non-shitty non-salt-bomb popcorn, etc.  Read that the writer/director wanted to re-imagine Bruce Wayne as a pseudo Kurt Cobain, as a strung-out reclusive night shift guy, and used Pattinson's pasty emo vampire background ability to go a bit further.  Which is interesting, seeing said dude in Tenet and a fucked-up indie sci-fi movie called 'High Life', he's obviously more than that.

Anyway it was okay.  I give it a 7/10 or so, maybe 8.  C to B effort.

Went to see it in the theater and the beginning was all fucked up due to the projector being broke. So I gotta watch it again. I did enjoy the more "emo" bit of it and more detective focused. But I liked those comics and stories more. I'd rate it slightly higher.

Just watched Dune again (3rd time) at home. I fee like I was finally able to get past whatever hangups I had trying to pick apart how it deviated from the book and just enjoy the film.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 12:15 PM, skibum said:

Also not "latest", but I like Red Flag: The Ultimate Game (1981). My dad was was flying F-4s there at the time so maybe I'm biased.

That movie was made with the full support of the US Air Force and maximum participation of public affairs. It is a horrible embarrassment to our beloved service.

11 hours ago, JimNtexas said:

That movie was made with the full support of the US Air Force and maximum participation of public affairs. It is a horrible embarrassment to our beloved service.

Versus Iron Eagle 1-4🤣🤣🤣