Latest Movies

B*D*A

29 minutes ago, di1630 said:

Anyone ever fly vr-1355 the top gun low level? Specifically looking for where the steep mountain climb was filmed on it.

The route goes by Glacier Peak ~60nm ENE of SEA. Never flown the route but have been nearby in light airplanes. That’s some of the most spectacular terrain in the Cascades. Wouldn’t be surprised if much of the filming took place in that area. 

• 2 weeks later...

Officially the #1 Tom Cruse movie now.  Only trails Avatar in Revenue at this point in its run.

Saw it with my Dad, he took me when I was 5 for hte original.  Loved it!  Really great film to see in theaters.  

Made the wife watch the original and man was it corny!  Still fun to watch but didn't realize the amount of cheese.

When I was young the original Charlie was the ultimate prize.  Re-watching it.....Nah, she doesn't hold up as well as I thought.  Also thought you could have a Beach Home on a govt contractors salary growing up too.  Jennifer Conneley>Charlie.  There still hotter chics out there.

1 hour ago, ecugringo said:

Officially the #1 Tom Cruse movie now.  Only trails Avatar in Revenue at this point in its run.

Saw it with my Dad, he took me when I was 5 for hte original.  Loved it!  Really great film to see in theaters.  

Made the wife watch the original and man was it corny!  Still fun to watch but didn't realize the amount of cheese.

When I was young the original Charlie was the ultimate prize.  Re-watching it.....Nah, she doesn't hold up as well as I thought.  Also thought you could have a Beach Home on a govt contractors salary growing up too.  Jennifer Conneley>Charlie.  There still hotter chics out there.

You probably could have her little beach house on a contractor's salary when that movie came out. 

Just like you could buy a house with just dad working at the GM plant back in the 80s.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched “Created Equal” yesterday. Basically a biography of Justice Thomas. Some interesting personal history and worth watching to better understand the man and the Justice. He lived an interesting life through the turbulence of the ‘60s and early ‘70s (a Yale law grad who barely found a job) as the fight for equal rights turned more violent.

• 2 weeks later...

Another not so “latest” movie that I just watched for the first time:

Whiplash

Stars Miles Teller (you know, Goose’s kid) and a yolked JK Simmons (yeah, the guy from the insurance commercials). Well shot, well edited art-house style film that never stood a chance at the box office when the public’s preference is overwhelmingly “more superheroes please”. But the story is apropos to the current plagues of participation trophies and helicopter parents and the general acceptance of mediocrity. Indeed, one of the best quotes from the movie is JK Simmons’ character stating “there are no two words in the English language more harmful than…..’good job’”. It’s a story about drive, commitment, and the human condition. You don’t have to be a jazz fan to “get it”. Anyone who’s had a passion about something and experienced a coach or mentor who knew how to squeeze every last ounce from them, or anyone who’s been in the other seat as a parent or a leader, will understand what this film is getting at.  One of the best films I’ve seen in a while.  Recommend. 

Here’s a clip:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Prozac said:

Another not so “latest” movie that I just watched for the first time:

Whiplash

Stars Miles Teller (you know, Goose’s kid) and a yolked JK Simmons (yeah, the guy from the insurance commercials). Well shot, well edited art-house style film that never stood a chance at the box office when the public’s preference is overwhelmingly “more superheroes please”. But the story is apropos to the current plagues of participation trophies and helicopter parents and the general acceptance of mediocrity. Indeed, one of the best quotes from the movie is JK Simmons’ character stating “there are no two words in the English language more harmful than…..’good job’”. It’s a story about drive, commitment, and the human condition. You don’t have to be a jazz fan to “get it”. Anyone who’s had a passion about something and experienced a coach or mentor who knew how to squeeze every last ounce from them, or anyone who’s been in the other seat as a parent or a leader, will understand what this film is getting at.  One of the best films I’ve seen in a while.  Recommend. 

Here’s a clip:

I love this movie. I like your analysis but I think you missed one of the biggest themes of the movie. I think it’s the danger of obsession at the expense of everything else in one’s life. The Buddy Rich parallels and then at the end where Miles Teller basically turns his back on his dad and goes 100% into the drums. Fantastic movie.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

I love this movie. I like your analysis but I think you missed one of the biggest themes of the movie. I think it’s the danger of obsession at the expense of everything else in one’s life. The Buddy Rich parallels and then at the end where Miles Teller basically turns his back on his dad and goes 100% into the drums. Fantastic movie.

I think there are multiple ways to look at the message of the film, which is one of the things I really like about it. We all generally see obsession as unhealthy, but what about when it produces greatness? Are we ok with it then? Same with Fletcher’s methods, which are unquestionably heinous yet produce results. Another one: Is it better to lead a long but mediocre life or burn brightly for a short time as Miles alludes to at the dinner table scene? What about when it’s someone you care about acting in such a way? The film makes you think about these questions. And it’s brilliantly shot, directed, and acted. Loved it. Wish more films like this got produced. 

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
Watched the new Predator movie on Hulu this weekend.

I wished they had done a Hunt for Red October language scene. But overall, a very good movie.

They actually talk about in a featurette how much they were trying to make that exact formula from RO work and just couldn’t get it right.

Apparently that trick set a trend that everybody wants to follow so perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MC5Wes said:

Watched the new Predator movie on Hulu this weekend.

I wished they had done a Hunt for Red October language scene. But overall, a very good movie.

There’s a dubbed Comanche language version if you really want to go nuts.

12 hours ago, Lawman said:

They actually talk about in a featurette how much they were trying to make that exact formula from RO work and just couldn’t get it right.

Apparently that trick set a trend that everybody wants to follow so perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could have just done the camera spin. Then have everyone speak English and use English terms. Including the French guys.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:23 PM, Danger41 said:

As a sexual tyrannosaurus superfan of the first Predator, I thought Prey was great. Loved it.

Point of order...it is actually a "Goddamn Sexual Tyrannosaurus"...you'd know that if you were one....like me.

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

Point of order...it is actually a "Goddamn Sexual Tyrannosaurus"...you'd know that if you were one....like me.

At least you knew that unlike the bunch of slack jawed…people of alternative lifestyles living their truths around here.

• Haha 1

My 12 year old grandson saw it twice, once with his DAD, and again with me.  That was a few weeks ago.   

Yesterday he wanted to debrief the F-14 fight with the Felons.   Of course he had no idea what a Tomcat even was, so we debriefed with hands and drawings.

He thought Hangman was super cool for saving Maverick and Rooster.

Eight years from now a bunch of new UPT students are going to show because of this movie.

• Upvote 1