Latest Movies

B*D*A

Go watch "the dissident" right now. Documentary made by the guy who made Icarus, it goes into detail about the Jamal khashoggi murder and the Saudi coverup/social media campaign to silence political opponents. Not available for streaming yet but you can rent it. 

Edited by Pooter

11 hours ago, Pooter said:

Go watch "the dissident" right now. Documentary made by the guy who made Icarus, it goes into detail about the Jamal khashoggi murder and the Saudi coverup/social media campaign to silence political opponents. Not available for streaming yet but you can rent it. 

Good podcast on JRE too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

But why the VA hospital???

Sean Patrick Flanery (Boondock Saints) stars as decorated army veteran Jason Hill. While on a routine visit to the local VA hospital, organized terrorists infiltrate the building and take hostages, including a decorated general, and Hill's wife. The highly trained veteran is outnumbered and the last line of defense, taking on a building full of armed insurgents before it's too late.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/assault_on_va_33

But why the VA hospital???
Sean Patrick Flanery (Boondock Saints) stars as decorated army veteran Jason Hill. While on a routine visit to the local VA hospital, organized terrorists infiltrate the building and take hostages, including a decorated general, and Hill's wife. The highly trained veteran is outnumbered and the last line of defense, taking on a building full of armed insurgents before it's too late.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/assault_on_va_33

VA hospitals were getting marginally efficient at care, so the terrorists had to knock it back down to deplorable.
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

VA hospitals were getting marginally efficient at care, so the terrorists had to knock it back down to deplorable.

At the end, the VA's bureaucracy and inefficiencies were just too much to handle for the terrorists.  The terrorists chose to surrender and be taken away rather than continue to argue with the VA staff...

• Like 3

At the end, the VA's bureaucracy and inefficiencies were just too much to handle for the terrorists.  The terrorists chose to surrender and be taken away rather than continue to argue with the VA staff...

Are these so called “terrorist” just a group of humble ole marines, with a couple of battle scars, in search of some VA disability?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

“First they Killed my Father”

It’s on Netflix, and while it’s a 2 hour absolute bummer of a movie it is amazing as far as historical docu-drama about the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

As a father there were moments in that movie where I just had to stop because you see this perspective of events from a 5 year old little girl trying to understand the insanity going in around her and her family, and it’s incredibly humbling. It’s based on the events of an actual family and the survivors from it, and other than “The Killing Fields” I’ve never seen anything so in your face about the reality of what went on there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Wife had friends over, so needed to get out of the house for a bit.  Figured hitting the local cineplex would be a good way to kill some time.  Was in the mood for some action/adventure, and narrowed the choices down to:

Wrath of Man: Jason Statham does the Jason Statham action thing in a Guy Ritchie movie.

Nobody: Better-Call-Saul Bob Odenkirk does a "shadowy badass pulled outta retirement" thing.

Army of the Dead: Zombies and Las Vegas.  And guns and stuff.

Settled on Nobody.  Was disappointed.  Good cast, good concept, but the whole thing kinda missed, as if they had a half-baked script and just made the rest up.

Glad I didn't go to Army of the Dead, just realized it's 2:28 long.  Awful long for a zombie flick.

Curious about Wrath of Man, but the Guy Ritchie stuff always seems to come off as all sizzle and no substance.

Edited by Blue
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Army of the Dead was a bit promising for like the first 2/3rds of it, then gets bogged down in standard zombie film cliché for the final bit.  But at least it's 2.5 hrs long.  Big meh on it.  It had potential...

And the fall of Vegas is because of the ineptitude of a SrA!  Love it.

• Like 1

I just saw “News of the World”—I like westerns and Tom Hanks is still a pretty good actor.  It was a bit slow, but neat how they discuss various areas of Texas (if you’re familiar with the state).  I give it average to slightly above average.

• Upvote 2

Breach on Amazon prime was Well below extremely below average. Best analogy would be the Dave Chappelle skit as Rick James (I wish I had more hands, so I could give the movie 4 thumbs down).

I thought Bruce Willis could save the sci-fi space movie, but he became a joke about halfway through it. 

On 5/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, HeloDude said:

I just saw “News of the World”—I like westerns and Tom Hanks is still a pretty good actor.  It was a bit slow, but neat how they discuss various areas of Texas (if you’re familiar with the state).  I give it average to slightly above average.

Really want to see it, just not in a rush to do so. 

Oddly, Castroville (as mentioned in the trailer), about 30 minutes from where I live, was founded by Alsatians from the French and German border region who came to Texas in search of a better life.

It sits about halfway between Lackland and Hondo.  I drive through there all the time...

• 3 weeks later...

The Hitman's Bodyguard was a solid movie - good, fast-paced writing, witty, along with exotic locations, lots of cool guns, and explosions.

I gave it a sold "B" at the time.

Just saw The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard and it gets, barely, a "D."

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 6:50 AM, M2 said:

Really want to see it, just not in a rush to do so. 

Oddly, Castroville (as mentioned in the trailer), about 30 minutes from where I live, was founded by Alsatians from the French and German border region who came to Texas in search of a better life.

It sits about halfway between Lackland and Hondo.  I drive through there all the time...

Huh, no idea we lived so close!  We almost got a house out there, very nice town. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 9:28 AM, Guardian said:

The zombie movie is on Netflix now so you saved yourself there

And...I didn't think it was that good. Below average, and/or average for a Zack Snyder film.  Paint by the numbers with a cool concept they fail to use in any meaningful way.