VRRAD is Back!!

M2

My question is if you’re bringing pilots back, I certainly haven’t gotten the impression that B Course/TX courses are sitting around going unfilled. If they are, this is very much my Milton getting moved to the basement because I’ve been striking out right and left looking for a flying sunset tour.

15 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

My question is if you’re bringing pilots back, I certainly haven’t gotten the impression that B Course/TX courses are sitting around going unfilled. If they are, this is very much my Milton getting moved to the basement because I’ve been striking out right and left looking for a flying sunset tour.

image.gif.f797db8ad0140ecb9ea0c34c74db103d.gif

• Upvote 1

You guys are missing it…the AF is freaking out because of how much worse the forecast is wrt people getting out in the near future, not just because of how bad it is has been in the last 1-2 years.  The only way this has any chance at working/providing any noticeable change (it probably won’t btw) is if enough people sign up to offset PCSs to other assignments which require long upgrades.  For example, on the pilot side, if they could bring in a couple hundred prior T-6/38 IPs who only need a requal (or a full course with a lot of PAing) this would offset needing to send new C-17 ACs to a backed up PIT, where clearly a prior T-6 IP would do better.  Now keep that C-17 pilot at their current base or PCS them to another C-17 base and the whole manning issue improved ever so slightly.

This all being said, the AF screws up most things, especially when they’re trying to fix something…so I perceive things to get worse, not better.  But they said diversity is our greatest strength so I think they should continue to focus their recruiting/retention efforts on DEI stuff while I cuddle up in my warm DD214 blanket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Weird, certain locales are even running CGOs doing the DO job, the lack of FGO bodies is that deep. You're either being too picky, or someone who is a somebody, doesn't like you. 😄 /s

AETC will get ya mad air under ass, if you're willing. Sure, these well-to-do 121ers will make fun of ya, but pay them no mind. Come join us "scutwork flyers" down here in the salt mines. I got zero staff, zero ragrets for all my troubles in this life.... hell they're even promoting me! Unironically running in tandem with the best of what's left crowd, gets me 5k TT and 3k Talon patch (now that the T-7 is DOA before 2030 anyways) pretty much guaranteed at current book, before I even hit 20 TAFMS. IOW...

YARN | I'm just living the dream. | Wedding Crashers (2005 ...

So my fvcko roomates nicknamed me 'catfish' in undergrad, bfd..... sure as hell wasn't "Picky". More cushin' for the pushin' served me well. Rent was paid and I ate a hearty meal every other month. I'm a self-made man, so sue me. 🤣

Edited by hindsight2020

31 minutes ago, hindsight2020 said:

Hold on, I need back of the room running start for this one....

image.png.6dff39fc1055ab500f37453dd8b22046.png

You're right on that one, I try to fly as little as possible at my airline gig!  Averaging 20 hours/month right now...need to deflate those numbers a bit though.  Well at work anyway.  Unfortunately I have to pay for my fun flying these days...some of the best money I spend though.  

Anywho, on topic, it's really hard to want to go back to an organization that seems to try their level best, to make life harder for the individual.  I guess if you were in a non-combat coded squadron, that never goes TDY, it wouldn't be terrible.  On an unrelated note, has the new pay system been rolled out yet?  I'm told it's going live Jan of 2020 and will fix part timer flight pay.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Danger41 said:

With the U-2 going away, a lot of dudes are trying to find flying jobs. The words passed to us are that a lot of ACU and B-courses have significant backlog. 

Aka, a lot of the guys are staring at an AETC future. 

15 hours ago, Bigred said:

a lot of the guys are staring at an AETC future. 

Lol, not anymore! Its Airmen Development Command, geez, get with the times 😂 /sarcasm

God speed to anyone wanting a flying gig as a career nightcap. I know it’s not the same as manned flying, but Guard MQ-9 has been a fantastic second-half for me. Kill bad guys by day, sleep in my own bed every night. Ok to be fair sometimes those are reversed…

Haven’t PCS’d in 10 years and don’t plan on needing to. Will promote twice in my Guard time and additional opportunities are likely to be there if I want them, or not. Washed-up O5 line flyer ain’t a bad gig if you can get it, and I’ve seen about half a dozen tread that path very, very successfully!

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Airmen Development Command

I had to google to see if you were kidding or not. Not, I see.

The ADC redesignation will pave the way for an expanded, people-focused footprint that will help the Air Force posture to rapidly adapt training programs and curriculum, produce mission ready Airmen at an accelerated rate, and develop human capital in a holistic manner conducive to retaining talent.

Wow. Who knew changing the letterhead was so damn powerful! Imagine what they could accomplish if they changed the font, too!

Also, this was a perfect chance to make it Airpeople!

running-eddie-murphy.gif

• Haha 1

I think the problem is that dudes dont wanna join because we call it AETC.   That's too many letters to be successful as a MAJCOM.   Lets change it to ADC.  That'll get them to join.  What an absolute waste of time and resources.   Good job big blue! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nunya said:

I had to google to see if you were kidding or not. Not, I see.

Wow. Who knew changing the letterhead was so damn powerful! Imagine what they could accomplish if they changed the font, too!

Also, this was a perfect chance to make it Airpeople!

running-eddie-murphy.gif

Bullet(s) for the OPR/OER

If they truly change the inspection system to be random and unannounced, that will greatly improve the lives of airmen. A lot of nonsense will have to be cut out for fear of ruining the records of Wing commanders everywhere.

I wouldn't count on it

AF needs a new A1.

Yo, try these out.

1. TIS counts.  Upon re-retirement, pay is calculated from the last single month. 

2. Free Tricare, forever, dental too.  At 65, it remains Prime/Select/Std and covers spouse til they pass.  Full freedom to select PCM.

3. Tax free bonus, enough to fully fund a 401k (managed by Schwab or similar) to IRS max; 1:1 401k matching.  Base pay multiplier.

4. ANG/Rsv that want an active retirement, its automatic upon retirement regardless of years served, but calculated at years served.

5. Reset on Post 9/11 GI Bill.

6. Free SBP and 100% for spouse, not 55%.  Gotta take care of the Mrs/Mr/Sugar.

7. Guaranteed cockpits at signing.

8. No PT tests, no OPR (or whatever its called), no PRF (but step promotions allowed), blues not required, no mobility status, no GTC, no ADSC, PCSs negotiated

9. O-6 level BAH (gotta pay for that Captain mortgage).

10. Retirement pay continues and VA pay/offset, if applicable, continue.  Besides, it's a different DFAS.  If Retired DFAS starts messing around with it, they'll fuck it up.  Best to just let it continue as is.

OK A1, your turn.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Biff_T said:

I think the problem is that dudes dont wanna join because we call it AETC.   That's too many letters to be successful as a MAJCOM.   Lets change it to ADC.  That'll get them to join.  What an absolute waste of time and resources.   Good job big blue! 

Pepperidge Farm remembers all the patches and signage that had to get swapped Downrange to go from USCENTAF to USAFCENT so that the naming convention was standardized. Increased war fighting lethality by at least 4%

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hermey said:

Isn’t the ADC where you go after the CC reads you your Miranda Rights? 

Lol

2 hours ago, ToHoldShort said:

You can now start and finish your career going to the ADC

Yeap, like a good aviator. 

1 hour ago, disgruntledemployee said:

..., try these out.

I'd like to make  change one to these demands.   

Chg 1.

Add: Demand 11.

11.  We bring back a flying sq (or group) of retirees.  Something simliar to the how the Flying Tigers were in WWII, except we'd be called the Flying Silverbacks.  We fly whatever aircraft whenever we want.  Composite wing of dudes who are too old to care about bullshit...50, 60, 70, yo Capts, Majors and Lt Cols getting it done.    

I want a Huey and a P-38.  

• Like 2

Crazy part is DoD, before BRS, had and has TSP matching which could compliment the Defined Benefit for Retired Reserve...and they choose not to use it...imagine the immediate retention bump for those members stuck under High 36/Final Pay/CSP-REDUX. That's some extra 'green'. 

BRS already gets this...

Break, break: Demand 11 I like

• Upvote 1