VRRAD is Back!!

M2

1 minute ago, uhhello said:

I honestly can't come up with a scenario where someone would do this.  Financially or quality of life wise.  

Few years ago, I remember reading about a retired O6 who, due to divorce expenses, was living in his car.

26 minutes ago, uhhello said:

I honestly can't come up with a scenario where someone would do this.  Financially or quality of life wise.  

I’m getting ready to retire this year after 21 and change.  If the no shit ballon would go up with China, Iran, or Russia I’d do this, but probably nothing before that scenario.

1 hour ago, DirkDiggler said:

I’m getting ready to retire this year after 21 and change.  If the no shit ballon would go up with China, Iran, or Russia I’d do this, but probably nothing before that scenario.

Obviously if there is a direct threat to the US of A but that is a completely different scenario.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BFM this said:

Few years ago, I remember reading about a retired O6 who, due to divorce expenses, was living in his car.

They want em' back! 

4 hours ago, BFM this said:

“If he gets back in, I demand half his pay”

• Upvote 1

If they give me a huey gunship, some cobra wingmen to fly with me, a big sq bar with strippers and no queep,then and only then would I volunteer to come back.   Maybe even an air tractor for a fixed wing companion trainer.  Lets goooo!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My Terms because I've already given up a lot of my life to uncle Sam.  

2 years contract, then year to year after.

$100k/yr tax-free bonus (minimum), both years paid before I depart for my duty station.

Flyer only.

5/4/9 schedule.

No in-voluntary TDY's/Deployments (I'm probably going, I just want control).

No writing or receiving OPRs/awards.

Paper Voucher (1351-2).

Paper Leave Forms (988)...I really don't want to have to justify why I can't fly across the country with SVTC.

Duty assignment of my choosing.  

No Blues.

I'll do PT tests because it's always fun to beat the young 20-somethings as a 40 year old overweight dude with a jacked up back/neck.  

Oh, and I want that time to count toward my reduced retirement pay.  

If there is a real near-pear, shoot-em-up war, scrap all that, I'll be first in line to come back and do what I can to help!  

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I did the VRAAD from 2010-2014. Kind of a funny story. 

You may have found it humorous, the rest of us were terrified. I still have no idea why Big Blue thought it was a good idea to bring back a UPT 65-14 grad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 15
  • Upvote 1

After 9-11, my dad tried to get back in as a retired 59 year old United pilot. He said he would come back and fly 135’s and they said they didn’t need that but would love for him to help in an AOC. He asked what that was while sitting at the family computer, looking over his glasses at the keyboard and typing with 1 finger at a time and forwarding those infamous chain emails from back then. Needless to say, he didn’t get to contribute to the air war in OEF.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Spoo said:

still have no idea why Big Blue thought it was a good idea to bring back a UPT 65-14 grad.

Somebody has to do the fix to fix.  

2 hours ago, brabus said:

IMG_0393.gif.070ee1256d8d3b5d81d4ff278a93ad9e.gif

This is the reality, that somehow, we'd all be tanker planners.  

• Upvote 1

After 9-11, my dad tried to get back in as a retired 59 year old United pilot. He said he would come back and fly 135’s and they said they didn’t need that but would love for him to help in an AOC. He asked what that was while sitting at the family computer, looking over his glasses at the keyboard and typing with 1 finger at a time and forwarding those infamous chain emails from back then. Needless to say, he didn’t get to contribute to the air war in OEF.

Those same category of people did VRRAD to the Pred/Reaper late 2000s, thick reading glasses, hunt-and-peck typing, and all. It was humorous, but it was great when the 64 y/o Lt Col had your back.
  • Upvote 2

Does the AF really want a bunch of old salty dogs back in the Sq winning hearts and minds away from Big Blue?

I think we’ve found that they only consider 1s and 0s of end strength numbers and green chiclets on slides, let’s be honest. You know they’re not known for considering the second order effects.

No bonus?  What 11X do they think they're going to get to come back?  I'm already going to get half my base pay just to breath.  That would cost me in lost revenue as much as the AF would pay me.  And what are the chances I get a TX course?  Probably slim, so I'd just be some admin dude, scheduler, or designated brick holder for the OG?  Solid pass.  Without more than the normal AD yearly bonus amount, the only way they're going to get any pilots is if they offer a better QOL than the airlines.  Good luck with that.  If they let me work from home (assuming no TX), max of 30 hrs per week with a schedule of my choosing averaged out over the month, I'd maybe consider it.  Maybe.  But probably not for long. 

I'm sure they'll get a few guys in unique life situations, but I think the response will be mostly guys laughing and saying "I told you so".

14 hours ago, Spoo said:

You may have found it humorous, the rest of us were terrified. I still have no idea why Big Blue thought it was a good idea to bring back a UPT 65-14 grad.

Until I flew with Huggy I had no idea that we even had pilot training in 1865. His class patch was printed on papyrus...

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

Until I flew with Huggy I had no idea that we even had pilot training in 1865. His class patch was printed on papyrus...

Guess my understanding is off by a few years, because wasn't the patch chiseled in stone? Like 865 B.C. (and not back course)!?😝

But seriously: mad respect @HuggyU2  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Smokin said:

Without more than the normal AD yearly bonus amount, the only way they're going to get any pilots is if they offer a better QOL than the airlines

In my case, if I make it to AGR retirement with my current orders, they’d have to give a $200k+ bonus per year to even match DAL+retirement pay…and then there’s that QOL and willingness to put up with bullshit thing. I actually have a pretty good full time job right now in the ANG, but even this will get immediately dropped at 20y 0m AGR and I will run back to DAL with a significant smile and sense of relief. In the end, I’d stay in my current job longer if they gave me a $300k yearly bonus…that’s my price AF!

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 1