Words of wisdom for new LT's?

bs98

There's some good wisdom on here, and I cannot thank you folks enough for steering me on a good path thus far. Curious to know what you wish someone told you years ago. Whether it pertains to flying, Air Force, or life in general. 

• Like 2

Dont burn any bridges too soon in your career and be the best aviator you can be.  

• Like 1

Have fun and fly your butt off.

Know your job well and volunteer for every flight or skill improving opportunity available.

Press boundaries when and where appropriate.

Spend time with maintainers to see what they do to keep you safely airborne.

As stated above, look after the Es who are taking care of your planes and life support equipment.

Make sure the bar is good for Friday.  No excuses.   Jalapeño corn is better than non jalapeño.  

• Upvote 1

@TreeA10 @HossHarris @joe1234 Another mentorship question for all you: I am coming from the Army, where our pilot LT's were leaders first and foremost, pilots when time allowed. Cultural stuff like that is one of the many reasons I switched branches, but what are the typical leadership expectations heavy units have for their new LT's? How about Captains? 

1 hour ago, bs98 said:

@TreeA10 @HossHarris @joe1234 Another mentorship question for all you: I am coming from the Army, where our pilot LT's were leaders first and foremost, pilots when time allowed. Cultural stuff like that is one of the many reasons I switched branches, but what are the typical leadership expectations heavy units have for their new LT's? How about Captains? 

I know you didn’t tag me but I’ll chime in as I was in a heavies. 

New LTs are expected to learn the aircraft and maybe be an assistant to some flight commander/skeds/etc. Realistically you won’t get much leadership opportunities as a LT, and even as a younger Captain, because a lot of ops squadrons don’t have a huge amount of enlisted. Heavies do have loads, booms, etc, so you will have plenty of exposure but you won’t be directing leading them. 

22 minutes ago, Bigred said:

I know you didn’t tag me but I’ll chime in as I was in a heavies. 

New LTs are expected to learn the aircraft and maybe be an assistant to some flight commander/skeds/etc. Realistically you won’t get much leadership opportunities as a LT, and even as a younger Captain, because a lot of ops squadrons don’t have a huge amount of enlisted. Heavies do have loads, booms, etc, so you will have plenty of exposure but you won’t be directing leading them. 

Didn't mean to exclude you or anyone, but didn't want to bother too many. Thanks for the info! When a crew goes out for a few days and there's about an even split of O's and E's, how does that dynamic look, and how should it look? Where does the Air Force draw the line at fraternizing? e.g. hitting the bars together every weekend when tdy?

40 minutes ago, bs98 said:

Didn't mean to exclude you or anyone, but didn't want to bother too many. Thanks for the info! When a crew goes out for a few days and there's about an even split of O's and E's, how does that dynamic look, and how should it look? Where does the Air Force draw the line at fraternizing? e.g. hitting the bars together every weekend when tdy?

Did it every single TDY and have some very fond memories.  Its all predicated on the douchebag career bobs, that also happen to wear wings, never finding out about your shenanigans.

4 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Does a prenup do anything if you don’t have anything?

I think it matters more if they have something. But prenups don't stop herpes. 

Edited by BeefBears
Scotch
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bs98 said:

Wasn’t ever in heavies. But in the fighter world, Cgo’s are expected to learn the mws and tactics first and foremost. And ensure the bar is up to snuff secondarily. 

if you didn’t know 3-1 inside outside backwards and forwards in short order during your first ops assignment, you were fucking up. 

Edited by HossHarris
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, bs98 said:

1. When a crew goes out for a few days and there's about an even split of O's and E's, how does that dynamic look, and how should it look?

2. Where does the Air Force draw the line at fraternizing?

3. ...hitting the bars together every weekend when tdy?

1. It looks like the whole crew sticking together.

2. Keep it professional, don't bang each other, or abuse power.

3. Hitting the bars every day with the crew when TDY is the standard. 

If you go 11H Co Pilot: Congrats you have huge nuts!!! Now...Dont hit powerlines, or fly directly into a mountain.  Use your GD radar altimeter dumbass!  Admit if you dont see something.  Speak up if a target is moving and its not suppossed to be.  Just because you're settling with power, doesn't mean you stop flying the aircraft, same with loss of tail rotor effectiveness.  Once again, watch out for powerlines, towers and mountains.  Don't continue flying into an updraft taking us into wx, lower the collective.  No, we will never have rockets again on USAF helicopters.  I don't like it any better than you do lol. Sorry, nothing directed towards you amigo.   Lol.   Oh yeah, you will be the red headed stepchild in the USAF aviation community until people need you.  Lol. Nomatter what type of helo you fly.  Not sure about CVs though?  I dont trust those dudes /s.  They fly faster than 200 knots.  They cant be true giant nutted mouth breathers at that speed, too much air to the face.  

Edit: Most chicks dont consider you cool.  You're kinda around the garbage collector scale on both smell and respect amongst your fixed winged peers in the aviation world, but my God a pair of tittes looks spectacular at ten feet..  on the other hand, girls at the beach and lake appreciate your service!!! Especially the drunk ones.

Edited by Biff_T
Afterthought
  • Upvote 3