What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

The problem is using this TTP you are still breaking the rule set by "The Man" and you can still receive punishment if someone found it on your hard drive.

That wasn't my question.

Hypothetically, let's say I rename the recall roster from April999MDGrecall.docx to something like horseradish.bmp, then email that to a personal email, then rename the file back to the correct file type on my home computer. What's the chances of being busted or exposing PII?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

We had a mandatory squadron briefing from OSI after someone emailed a mission data card to their personal email. All because it had drop times for a local training sortie.

All the CFP BS made me think of another idiotic antiquated issue we have. If I want to pick up the phone and make a long distance call....I can't. Eventhough every phone company in the US has free long distance phone calls, the Air Force still hasn't figured it out. When I worked in safety, this become a big issue when we had a mishap - we weren't able to make calls to the FAA and ATC folks, and since cell phones don't get reception in our building, we were running back and forth from our office to the front doors on our cell phones while trying to run safety checklists.

After the fact we tried to get access on our phones for long distance calling and were told that we could:

a) Be issued a long distance PIN that we'd have to enter prior to every long distance call

b) Have a phone granted long distance access, but every long distance call would have to be logged.

Both of these are kind of inconvenient when there's a smoldering jet on the airfield, so we just stuck with cell phones and jogging.

Yep. Best part about where I'm at.. we lost the ability to log. So we're making people use PINs or get "Class-A" lines (unrestricted) and can't verify anything. Never mind the fact almost no-one has a local number anymore. Damn.. I'm so used to this stupidity I didn't think we could change it. If Travis has, perhaps we can do something.

For these issues call your CS Ops Flt CC and he should be able to hook you up as long as he's not a douche and remember what the mission is.

Also, the AF just did away with the AFI requiring the additional duty position, TCO - Telephone Control Officer, in each squadron who would verify phones/pins...but requires it as an inspectable program. Figure that one out.

Edited by 17D_guy

Hypothetically, let's say I rename the recall roster from April999MDGrecall.docx to something like horseradish.bmp, then email that to a personal email, then rename the file back to the correct file type on my home computer. What's the chances of being busted or exposing PII?

I wouldn't ops check that one. One of the joys of being a PII investigating officer and drafting the 69 page report for the Wg/CC was learning that he NWS (Network Warfare Squadrons?) continually monitor every email leaving the .mil domain, and will quarantine anything that looks suspicious. In the case I had to investigate, the attachments were named something generic, but it was still discovered that they contained SSNs and next-of-kin.

ProTip: When I need to send PII shit out of the .mil domain I just log into my gmail, draft a message, then attach the file. I don't send it, but I can still access the draft and any attachments from anywhere I have access to gmail.

• Upvote 1

ProTip: When I need to send PII shit out of the .mil domain I just log into my gmail, draft a message, then attach the file. I don't send it, but I can still access the draft and any attachments from anywhere I have access to gmail.

Good advice. My current method of updating recall information into my phone is to log-in to gmail contacts at work and typing everything in, which will push updates to my phone.

Ahh, the ole Petraeus technique.

• Upvote 4

Do you no longer have to be a TCO to submit a WOMS request?

For those of you who dont know what that is... Be thankful.

Not sure what they're doing with the new TCO doesn't exist..but be ready for inspection nonsense.

NWS is network warfare. I've said before how convoluted AFSPC has made the cyber AOR, this NWS isn't any better.

So, question because I don't know/haven't had to do it, when do you have to send PII out of the .mil domain on the regular? Realize that Google has access to that information now, and I'm not sure what the NWS' can pick up at the proxies/gateways. So while it might work, it's not "right", and it'll probably get caught at some point.

Why not just mail it? :thumbsup:

Stop the madness!!!

Suggestion: only serving commanders, SQ/CC and above, should have assigned parking spots.

Our base has two wings - the CC of the tenant wing is an O-6, host wing is an O-7. The commissary has a number of O-6 spots as well as one O-7 spot and a spot for each wing CC. The host wing CC is the only O-7 on base...so he effectively has two parking spots. I asked a manager why this was and she just shrugged it off, which I suppose I should have expected.

Stop the madness!!!

Suggestion: only serving commanders, SQ/CC and above, should have assigned parking spots.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

This!

Especially at a base like Eglin where the GS and Contract civilians have an inordinate amount of reserved parking spots.

Same shit, different medium... Why can I have enough gigs in my Yahoo account to hold emails from college, but my AF Outlook locks up after sending one attachment?

And does anyone else have issues with the quote buttons on this forum?

You can try this technique if the queep is piling up excessively.

1) Send yourself a GINORMOUS ppt file. Wait until you get a "mailbox is full" warning, you may have to send it a few times. Good work, now your email is inop and if someone really needs something they will either find you in person or call you.

2) Go fly / do something tactically relevant.

*3) IF you want to get your email back delete the messages and empty your trash. Don't forget the sent items.

*Not recommended

• Upvote 3

Our base has two wings - the CC of the tenant wing is an O-6, host wing is an O-7. The commissary has a number of O-6 spots as well as one O-7 spot and a spot for each wing CC. The host wing CC is the only O-7 on base...so he effectively has two parking spots. I asked a manager why this was and she just shrugged it off, which I suppose I should have expected.

But where will those other one-stars park when they visit the base?

Parking at Scott is already a clown show...and made even worse when about two lanes worth of spots in front of the BX are all for DV's. Transcom and AMC's parking lots are even worse. The funniest thing I have heard is they can't make a parking garage because there is no place to park if they close down the lot to build the garage. It's a vicious cycle...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

It works like a champ and the attachment doesn't get scrubbed off. Use it all the time to send .xlsm type files and what not.

You can try this technique if the queep is piling up excessively.

1) Send yourself a GINORMOUS ppt file. Wait until you get a "mailbox is full" warning, you may have to send it a few times. Good work, now your email is inop and if someone really needs something they will either find you in person or call you.

2) Go fly / do something tactically relevant.

*3) IF you want to get your email back delete the messages and empty your trash. Don't forget the sent items.

*Not recommended

I just didn't use email. As a part-timer, every time I showed up, I required a new password or they needed to re-map printers or something and it became a royal pain and waste of my time...so I quit checking and happily flew my ass off.. After about a year and half, some guy shows up at my door asking if I could please delete some stuff because it is clogging up their server. I had something in the neighborhood of 1500 emails.

• Upvote 4

I just didn't use email. As a part-timer, every time I showed up, I required a new password or they needed to re-map printers or something and it became a royal pain and waste of my time...so I quit checking and happily flew my ass off.. After about a year and half, some guy shows up at my door asking if I could please delete some stuff because it is clogging up their server. I had something in the neighborhood of 1500 emails.

Well played Tree! Being a part timer truly is the best gig there is!