Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

15 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

but a common phenomenon is weak commanders fearing interpersonal conflict allowing a leadership void to develop which is exploited by uppity civilians.

This.

Observed first hand in multiple Gp, Wg, and higher front offices.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:56 AM, Sua Sponte said:

KC-135s out of ENJJPT? He was a bitter dude.

Well damn.  Hate hearing that.  I lived down the hall from him in college and he was a good guy.  We were all stunned when he got tankers but he was also the only guy from our ROTC det to go to UPT for a 3-4 year span so we all thought that was better than nothing.

Edited by Bergman

12 hours ago, McJay Pilot said:

320th STS/CC fired at Kadena and there’s a data dump on FB here, that reads similar to the 27 SOG/CC’s rebuttal from awhile back.

I know a lot of the names mentioned, it’ll be interesting to hear what all they have to say. 

Also, that’s the second Sq/CC fired from the 353rd SOW in 4 months.  1st SOS commander was fired back in November with no cause or details that were made public.  Must be something in the water over there.

13 hours ago, McJay Pilot said:

320th STS/CC fired at Kadena and there’s a data dump on FB here, that reads similar to the 27 SOG/CC’s rebuttal from awhile back.

I know a lot of the names mentioned, it’ll be interesting to hear what all they have to say. 

This sounds like the O6 leadership at every base I was stationed at.

At some point people are going to realize that the corporate, academic, and political rot within the leadership class has completely infiltrated the military as well. It's a bummer, but it should not be surprising.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

This sounds like the O6 leadership at every base I was stationed at.

At some point people are going to realize that the corporate, academic, and political rot within the leadership class has completely infiltrated the military as well. It's a bummer, but it should not be surprising.

Amen. I actually read all of that and if a GS-11 civilian can do this, that is such a massive failure of so many people it’s hard to fathom. I don’t care if they have a strong union or not, you fire that chick immediately (assuming all his allegations are true).

10 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Amen. I actually read all of that and if a GS-11 civilian can do this, that is such a massive failure of so many people it’s hard to fathom. I don’t care if they have a strong union or not, you fire that chick immediately (assuming all his allegations are true).

You'll notice this dude was shit-canned as soon as he started hinting that the disappearance of expensive equipment would need to be reported. As soon as his "antics" transitioned from obnoxiously advocating for his unit to potentially tarnishing the reputation of his leadership, he was toast.

You don't get to the top in today's military (college, government, etc) through competence, results, and successful leadership of your subordinates, you get there by protecting those above you.

When the consequences for failure are restored, the institutions will resume filtering for and rewarding competence. It's going to get a lot worse before that happens, I fear.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

On 2/17/2024 at 1:48 PM, DirkDiggler said:

words

Man I got stories for days from my time in AFSOC HQ....but now is not the time. I will say that there are always a valiant few fighting the good fight, but they are mostly beaten down by entrenched civilians with agendas, company men keeping their noses clean, incompetent staffers, and indecisive/weak/toxic leadership (take your pick).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Exactly this. There aren't many uniformed MWS guys in HQ AFSOC left (maybe a half dozen/MWS). It's a struggle between the bureaucracy, lots of change, and CC pet projects/good ideas. It doesn't help when the boss threatens to fire anyone who doesn't quickly implement his 50% more BS, 50% less FTU product. Ironically, it really seems to take a while to implement all this change when there's no uniforms left in the building to staff all these "priorities."

Also, I feel it for the 'favored' community getting kicked in the teeth with more with less taskings, picking up FTU training, and one of the core mission events considered non-essential.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MechGov said:

Exactly this. There aren't many uniformed MWS guys in HQ AFSOC left (maybe a half dozen/MWS). It's a struggle between the bureaucracy, lots of change, and CC pet projects/good ideas. It doesn't help when the boss threatens to fire anyone who doesn't quickly implement his 50% more BS, 50% less FTU product. Ironically, it really seems to take a while to implement all this change when there's no uniforms left in the building to staff all these "priorities."

Also, I feel it for the 'favored' community getting kicked in the teeth with more with less taskings, picking up FTU training, and one of the core mission events considered non-essential.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

I've got some buddies up there that are trying to effect change/do the right thing where they can, but agree with everything you wrote above.  I've never seen this level of thrash/the HQ reaching into line units directly.  I honestly think the only thing that would satisfy the guy is every -130 and person in the unit fully committed 100% of the time.

On an another fucked up note, CAE just laid off 100% of the MC-J CIs at Kirtland two days ago.  That's really gonna do wonders for PFT production/shortening the pipeline like CAT 5 was adamant about. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

I've got some buddies up there that are trying to effect change/do the right thing where they can, but agree with everything you wrote above.  I've never seen this level of thrash/the HQ reaching into line units directly.  I honestly think the only thing that would satisfy the guy is every -130 and person in the unit fully committed 100% of the time.

On an another fucked up note, CAE just laid off 100% of the MC-J CIs at Kirtland two days ago.  That's really gonna do wonders for PFT production/shortening the pipeline like CAT 5 was adamant about. 

CAE is trash when they took over the KC-135 ATS.

5 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

// CAE just laid off 100% of the MC-J CIs at Kirtland two days ago //

Only to hire them back? Who else is qualified!?

What news...

44 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

What news...

They’ll probably hire them back part-time, then work them 29 hours a week so they don’t have to pay any benefits.

1 hour ago, Swizzle said:

What news...

CAE currently has the contract; it was just re-bid and awarded to a company called ATC.  Someone protested, so the ATC can’t do anything until the protest is resolved.  Government asked CAE to bridge the contract until the protest is resolved.  CAE said sure, give us X number of dollars to do it.  Government said we’re not gonna give you anything, CAE said great, dueces, and laid everybody off.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DirkDiggler said:

CAE currently has the contract; it was just re-bid and awarded to a company called ATC.  Someone protested, so the ATC can’t do anything until the protest is resolved.  Government asked CAE to bridge the contract until the protest is resolved.  CAE said sure, give us X number of dollars to do it.  Government said we’re not gonna give you anything, CAE said great, dueces, and laid everybody off.

The best part is that’s the first time I’ve heard that explanation since the Bobs here have yet to address it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Out of respect for Munch and his family I won't elaborate, but it was from natural causes. Great person, father, husband, leader and Weapons Officer.  The world (and Air Force) is a lesser place without him in it. 

To Munch... 

Edited by abmwaldo
clarity
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, Chuck17 said:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-charleston-fired/

A couple of 628ABW kills at CHS with the standard reasoning… What was bad enough to take out SEL, Sq/CC, Grp/CC?!

Chuck

Toxic leadership and uppity HPOs that don’t listen to direction/guidance and don’t know what followership means. Sounds like a slam dunk when it comes to getting rid of the wrong type of leaders. 

• Like 1