The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Meh, even the best job in the world becomes a job at some point.  I'm glad I'm no longer installing/removing septic systems, laying water main and digging graves like I did after high school, but that doesn't mean I want to go to work all the time with a nice gig.  I have a friend who is a trust fund baby, he's got it pretty damn good.  I guess I was really meant to be a trust fund baby...is that too much to ask?  Come on powerball! 🤣

Break break

After a  nice 19 day break, it's time to head back to work tomorrow.  First real snow events of the year...lame!  Stay safe out there ladies/gents.

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 1

Hey ya’ll,

I’m just over a year out. Filled out the app with AA and got an immediate email asking for some sort of online assessment. I haven’t yet done any of the interview prep courses. Anyone have any insight as to what to expect once i click on the link?

Thanks.  

i did a quick search on here but didn’t see anything specific

3 hours ago, GettinReady said:

Hey ya’ll,

I’m just over a year out. Filled out the app with AA and got an immediate email asking for some sort of online assessment. I haven’t yet done any of the interview prep courses. Anyone have any insight as to what to expect once i click on the link?

Thanks.  

Recommend you call these guys.

Anyone have any insight as to what to expect once i click on the link?

If it's the same online thing as a decade ago, definitely get some coaching like BFM said before taking the assessment. I took it with my "A code" PIC mentality and in hindsight got about everything wrong. (i.e. You generally don't divert for a medical unless the doctor on the ground, maybe sitting in South Africa, says you divert.)

If it's the same online thing as a decade ago, definitely get some coaching like BFM said before taking the assessment. I took it with my "A code" PIC mentality and in hindsight got about everything wrong. (i.e. You generally don't divert for a medical unless the doctor on the ground, maybe sitting in South Africa, says you divert.)

More recently it’s two parts: the would you rather amputate baby legs or kill a bus full of nuns section, and the fly blocks through canyons.
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GettinReady said:

Hey ya’ll,

Thanks.  

The assessment is one of two things depending how far along you are.

It’s most likely AA’s pilot skills test (basically an IQ test with weird games). Basically all puzzles, no questions about flying at all. You can wing it and do fine. Honestly there isn’t much prepping that would help. It’s either you are good at that stuff or you aren’t. They give you examples and let you practice as much as you want before each section anyways. I think they just use it as a data collection point as of now to see how it correlates to extra sim time and such. This is an example of one section. They have another where you fly a ball through a tunnel and dodge walls.

image.jpeg.96fb73066414d3b0d159cfa382d00acf.jpeg

If you have an interview already then it’s an HR assessment. Psychological assessment kinda stuff. Which is a bunch of would you rather questions and pick the answer that feels best for you. And they are all bad answers sometimes and all good answers sometimes.

i recommend Pilot Counseling Services, it’s the Judy Tarver service, that’s who I prepped with and they knew exactly how the interview was going to go. The whole team there has so much AA experience and is hard to beat when prepping for AA.

Edited by jonlbs

6 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

More recently it’s two parts: the would you rather amputate baby legs or kill a bus full of nuns section, and the fly blocks through canyons.

3 hours ago, Danger41 said:

I know several guys that failed these personality tests for one of the majors and got hired by another one. Good system.

I took several of these tests with no prep and failed about half of them the first time.  Probably because given the choices above, I'm always shooting the bus full of nuns.... it's more scalps and moving targets are fun.  But they're looking for different priorities.
The majors were a 6 month pause before reassessment, so I recommend being as honest as you are on the post deployment health survey when they ask if you have more than one to two drinks a month. Of course you don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/26/2023 at 9:40 AM, SocialD said:

Meh, even the best job in the world becomes a job at some point.  I'm glad I'm no longer installing/removing septic systems, laying water main and digging graves like I did after high school, but that doesn't mean I want to go to work all the time with a nice gig.  I have a friend who is a trust fund baby, he's got it pretty damn good.  I guess I was really meant to be a trust fund baby...is that too much to ask?  Come on powerball! 🤣

Break break

After a  nice 19 day break, it's time to head back to work tomorrow.  First real snow events of the year...lame!  Stay safe out there ladies/gents.

On 11/26/2023 at 3:28 PM, HuggyU2 said:

My name is Huggy, and I support this message.  

I think Jeff Foxworthy said "if you believe that the lottery is a legitimate retirement option, You Might Be a Redneck"😁

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2023 at 7:38 PM, SocialD said:

McDonald Douglas built my jet to be EMP/JAM proof on accident lol.   I was bored on my flight the other day because I had more than 50 minutes at cruise (the worst!), so I checked out the airways based on VORs.   Maybe it was because I was on the east coast, but I was surprised at how many VORs are still online.  I know they're closing more but I think I could easily go back to flying airways with an RMI.   We already fly approaches where we just get cleared a common navaid and told cleared for approach (whatever approach we want) in places like AVL.  Might be fun for a bit, but that would get annoying.  I like my airline flying like I like my women....easy!

On 11/22/2023 at 8:59 PM, Clark Griswold said:

Same...

Yep, my guess is that more than the currently planned number of VORs will be left on if the do-it-yourself EM jamming becomes more common...

Just playing catch-up reading this thread. Nothing new regarding the EM jamming, but I will say it has become rampant due to the war issue as mentioned. Flying Westbound a couple of weeks ago just under the “No Operation Zone” passing over the Black Sea from Georgia to Bulgaria the jamming was rampant. Used VORs to ensure everything was copacetic and it was. 

*Apologies for the circle back, but I actually had to work a bit earlier this month to get back for Turkey early. The next two months will be very lean work escaping the holiday mash thankfully. What an ugly time to flesh peddle.

On 11/27/2023 at 3:33 AM, GettinReady said:

Hey ya’ll,

I’m just over a year out. Filled out the app with AA….

Out of curiosity - Are you a year out from retirement or commitment? Either way congrats on capitalizing on the opportunities available and very good timing whether it’s the check of the month club or being caught and now released. Welcome to a whole new world of personal benefits and adventure. Easy compensation, easy life and quality time at home or abroad or both. AA like the other Majors has that variety that you can find your niche immediately or with some time served. Narrow or Wide = options if needed.

*Hopefully you don’t have to remind yourself of previous work to realize you have a sweet gig 🤗 

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

3 Viper tours, a ROK visit, and throw in a sweet gig flying the hornet with some Northern friends takes me just over 20. I picked up an ATP before the big change over during a white jet tour. Turns out I may have wasted my money. I did like flying the Barron around though. 

i thought about doing the Guard job/ transition a while back, but the AF kept pulling be back with some sweet assignments. I have no regrets. I am looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel, but im sure im gonna miss the Viper. 

• Upvote 1

I picked up an ATP before the big change over during a white jet tour. Turns out I may have wasted my money. I did like flying the Barron around though. 

Rest assured, you didn't waste your money.

1. You skipped the CTP BS class that the current generation is subjected to

2. Your app wouldn't have moved forward at AA without it.  At the moment, major's aren't interviewing if you don't have an ATP in your pocket (could change tomorrow)

3. So at the very least you saved the additional $5k that it takes to get the rating on your own, or the requisite touch-and-go at a regional to accomplish same, probably saving 10's, if not 100's of thousands of long-term dollars.  

I also knocked out my ATP before CTP reared its ugly head (2011 VSP debacle): money well spent.

9 hours ago, GettinReady said:

3 Viper tours, a ROK visit, and throw in a sweet gig flying the hornet with some Northern friends takes me just over 20. I picked up an ATP before the big change over during a white jet tour. Turns out I may have wasted my money. I did like flying the Barron around though. 

i thought about doing the Guard job/ transition a while back, but the AF kept pulling be back with some sweet assignments. I have no regrets. I am looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel, but im sure im gonna miss the Viper. 

Sounds like a very accomplished career well spent in the correct seat vs desk time. Well done. You may miss the viper, but not the runaround, queep and Tom foolery. You will miss your squadron mates, but you have witnessed how things change rapidly and nothing will be like yesteryear. 

Now you will be on a salary minimum guarantee with expandable income based on multiple contract sources and play according to your schedule requirements. Whole new world.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, HeloDude said:

For attempting to kill everyone on board,  you get a misdemeanor.  Shrooms are cool. 

Edited by Biff_T
I miss the E175. Nothing quite like flying with handle bars.

6 hours ago, Biff_T said:

For attempting to kill everyone on board,  you get a misdemeanor.  Shrooms are cool. 

No shit. He made the bad decision (drugs plus knowing he was mentally struggling, and still took a JS). He needs to get a substantial sentence…he deserves it, and there needs to be a precedent set.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, brabus said:

No shit. He made the bad decision (drugs plus knowing he was mentally struggling, and still took a JS). He needs to get a substantial sentence…he deserves it, and there needs to be a precedent set.

Exactly, grounded for life = not even as a passenger (just me talking.) As villains say: “You know too much!” Uber with passenger cage only perhaps. Personally, don’t care whatever you’re going through there are always signs when we need to pull up. Precedent is everything especially for an action that was coherently executed even if it was supposedly mushrooms or anything else. Consequences/accountability are what’s lacking these past few years. Rant of fact over.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747