The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Crazy stuff. I was behind on the SRS podcasts, but recently he hosted a former GB gone GB. He went to Mexico and did psychedelics under medical supervision and had nothing but great things to say. This occurrence certainly won’t enhance the possibility of using psychedelics to help treat PTSD and TBI victims. Damn shame. 

24 minutes ago, SocialD said:

And quite a few Alaska pilots got to move up a number.

You’re right…the media really should post the person’a seniority number when things like this happen so the rest of us can truly appreciate the depth of the situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the bright side, the Captain and FO now have a good “Tell me about a time…” story on their next interview.

Indeed.

However, it might be a little awkward if they are Alaskan airlines interview…

Alaskan interviewer – “Tell me about a time you faced a conflict or dispute with a crewmember in the aircraft and how did you resolve it?”

Well ok, there was this one time back in October of 2023 when I was flying for Horizon and we had a jupseater from Alaskan show up…Do you need me to keep going or should we just move on?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Scooter14 said:

Indeed.

However, it might be a little awkward if they are Alaskan airlines interview…

Alaskan interviewer – “Tell me about a time you faced a conflict or dispute with a crewmember in the aircraft and how did you resolve it?”

Well ok, there was this one time back in October of 2023 when I was flying for Horizon and we had a jupseater from Alaskan show up…Do you need me to keep going or should we just move on?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Max points 

• Like 2

American decided to mandate the use of a bargain surgery marketplace network for all joint and spine surgeries, usurping the in/out-of-network inherent to the plan as a cost cutting measure after the new contract. Gotta watch these nerds like a hawk.

• Upvote 1

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/money-losing-spirit-stops-hiring-flight-crew/

Saw that Spirit stopped hiring, which got me wondering about FDX/UPS.  Any of you cargo bros hearing anything about hiring starting up?  I had a few friends ask but I haven't kept up with the cargo hiring situation.  

FedEx is overmanned given their jet retirements. Spirit is only pausing its hiring for the winter season and JetBlue merger. My personal take is that FedEx is subcontracting with cargo carriers like Atlas/Omni/Kalitta given their reduced DOD workload. If they get busy again I expect FedEX to stop shrinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FedEx is overmanned given their jet retirements. Spirit is only pausing its hiring for the winter season and JetBlue merger. My personal take is that FedEx is subcontracting with cargo carriers like Atlas/Omni/Kalitta given their reduced DOD workload. If they get busy again I expect FedEX to stop shrinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No recent FedEx flying for Atlas that I have seen and we closed our MEM base. Have done a UPS flight recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 10/24/2023 at 8:26 PM, Standby said:

Crazy stuff. I was behind on the SRS podcasts, but recently he hosted a former GB gone GB. He went to Mexico and did psychedelics under medical supervision and had nothing but great things to say. This occurrence certainly won’t enhance the possibility of using psychedelics to help treat PTSD and TBI victims. Damn shame. 

I actually know people who take/ have taken psychedelics what their opinion was on this episode and outside of some small studies there's no commercial sourcing. Quality control is very much how much you trust the guy cooking this up. It's possible this had some "extras" added and certain mental conditions may not play well with this. As mentioned above medical supervision is critical.                                

3 hours ago, McJay Pilot said:

I take it this isn’t the outcome the interviewer looks for with the “You call a go-around and the Captain continues the approach” scenario…

Name looked familiar:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/04/with-three-conservatives-dissenting-court-declines-to-intervene-on-behalf-of-air-force-officer-who-wont-get-vaccinated/

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, StoleIt said:

On 11/1/2023 at 12:19 PM, McJay Pilot said:

I take it this isn’t the outcome the interviewer looks for with the “You call a go-around and the Captain continues the approach” scenario…

This guy is a former B-1 pilot. He was in my squadron in the 2007-2010 timeframe. 

Edited by BONE WSO

I mean, at least your bone nerds don't get convicted of B&E, brutally assaulting exes in the shower with a lead pipe after a multi-hour out of state drive with body disposal kit in the car; serve nine hard time, with another 40 pending on parole, then get hired by a blue LCC (for a short while anyways), like the buff nerds do. #fightclub

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 7:05 PM, SurelySerious said:

American decided to mandate the use of a bargain surgery marketplace network for all joint and spine surgeries, usurping the in/out-of-network inherent to the plan as a cost cutting measure after the new contract. Gotta watch these nerds like a hawk.

Half the story. The company, upon notification that restricting out of network offices was against the JCBA, are working to ensure it never goes into effect for 2024. 

Half the story. The company, upon notification that restricting out of network offices was against the JCBA, are working to ensure it never goes into effect for 2024. 

It’s not half the story. The association capitulated that not using the roulette of lowest bidder Surgery Plus was still out of network and could cost member tens of thousands for using a reputable doctor that would otherwise be in-network under the BCBS administered plans. So APA gave up and called the loss a win.

A-L-P-A.

7 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

It’s not half the story. The association capitulated that not using the roulette of lowest bidder Surgery Plus was still out of network and could cost member tens of thousands for using a reputable doctor that would otherwise be in-network under the BCBS administered plans. So APA gave up and called the loss a win.

A-L-P-A.

I'm all for ALPA, but your insurer, which is AA, gets to decide what is in-network and out-of-network. And Supplement K (Now section 5) does not mandate what is in-network, it only mandates an out-of-pocket max for out-of-network care.

The ALPA cheerleaders are going to be thoroughly disappointed with ALPA based on the myriad industry norms they seem to think only affect APA.

I'm all for ALPA, but your insurer, which is AA, gets to decide what is in-network and out-of-network. And Supplement K (Now section 5) does not mandate what is in-network, it only mandates an out-of-pocket max for out-of-network care.

Is BCBS administering the plans, or are they not? Because if they’re not anymore to determine what is in and out of network, that’s a pretty serious change. If APA is not going to have the foresight to anticipate these backhanded efforts, they could at least have the balls to fight them.