The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

17 minutes ago, SocialD said:

What ever came of the UPS voluntary retirement initiative?  Hopefully they got more than enough volunteers to not have to move to further steps. 

They did get more than enough. There we so many applicants they increased the number to 190-200, I think.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Update on the United Military Pilot Hiring. Email I received this morning.

IMG_7661.jpeg

That’s somewhat cryptic, and probably too early to tell exactly what that email is truly saying. Who has the Pelosi angle on this one?

P.s., ‘Pelosi angle’ is my newly-minted phrase for colloquialisms like market insight, insider trading, inside baseball, gouge, etc.

1 hour ago, Standby said:

That’s somewhat cryptic, and probably too early to tell exactly what that email is truly saying. Who has the Pelosi angle on this one?

P.s., ‘Pelosi angle’ is my newly-minted phrase for colloquialisms like market insight, insider trading, inside baseball, gouge, etc.

I want to post it on Facebook and watch all those idiots on the various websites trying to decipher some crazy hidden message behind “we’ll look 6 months from retirement”. 

I want to post it on Facebook and watch all those idiots on the various websites trying to decipher some crazy hidden message behind “we’ll look 6 months from retirement”. 

I’m guessing the response was automated or written by someone who isn’t up to speed on the program. Once you’re within 6 months of availability, you’re no longer eligible for the UMPP and have to submit a traditional app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Boldface confirmed?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/23/us/alaska-airlines-passenger/index.html

An off-duty pilot riding as a passenger in the cockpit of an Alaska Airlines flight Sunday tried to seize control of the plane headed from Seattle to San Francisco, forcing the flight to divert to Portland, Oregon, according to the airline and a source familiar with the matter.

A pilot assigned to the flight told air traffic controllers a person riding in the cockpit of flight 2059 attempted to turn off the aircraft’s engines in flight. Pilots will occasionally ride a cockpit “jump seat” when traveling in an official capacity or commuting to another airport.

Joseph Emerson, 44, has been arrested by the Port of Portland Police Department and charged with 83 felony counts of attempted murder, 83 counts of reckless endangerment and one count of endangering an aircraft, online booking records show.

Edited by uhhello

Good bye jump seats!

On 10/8/2023 at 10:25 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Yes: they increased it from 167 to 194 pilots accepted for the early retirement. 
I'll be interested to see how many apply to another airline. 

This pilot is suggesting that there might be more trouble on the horizon for UPS! 

11 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

Pro tip: don’t do magic mushrooms and then sit jump seat 😅

This.  

Edit: If you do, dont shutdown the engines in flight.  

Edited by Biff_T
Afterthought