What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

21 hours ago, timberlin said:

There's a saying in AFSOC in regards to Q3s "those who have and those who will."  A Q3 doesn't tarnish your community rep like I would imagine it would in those where they are far more sparse; it just makes life more difficult as a whole to leave/fly outside of AFSOC (TPS, white jets, etc.)....unsure if that's a bug or a feature.....

You gotta be an MC dude…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeA10 said:

Admittedly, I retired in 2011 but WTF is up with the Q3 thing? A Q3 was unheard of in the fighter community.  Did your CCs just hate themselves and their fellow aviators?

It's an AMC thing.   

22 hours ago, timberlin said:

There's a saying in AFSOC in regards to Q3s "those who have and those who will."  A Q3 doesn't tarnish your community rep like I would imagine it would in those where they are far more sparse; it just makes life more difficult as a whole to leave/fly outside of AFSOC (TPS, white jets, etc.)....unsure if that's a bug or a feature.....

Yea, that's not an AFSOC thing. 

23 hours ago, timberlin said:

There's a saying in AFSOC… "those who have and those who will."

Is that applicable to naked gunner hugs? I’ve only heard about it. Maybe an expert in that kind of thing (*cough* @ClearedHot *cough*) can provide fill-ins.

19 minutes ago, brabus said:

Is that applicable to naked gunner hugs? I’ve only heard about it. Maybe an expert in that kind of thing (*cough* @ClearedHot *cough*) can provide fill-ins.

Naked gunner hugs are a sole product of the MH-53 Pavelow community.  I believe it started in Korea when AFSOC used to keep a detachment of Pavelows in theater.  In my many years on the gunpig I never saw said maneuver attempted by a gunship guy or girl.

46 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

KBAD about to lose it’s golf course because…DEI?

IMG_3864.jpeg

Not DEI.  Just spin after the fact of it closing.  Base golf courses are beyond dead when they made the funding changes a few years ago.  

Edited by uhhello
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Barksdale is 22,000 acres, mostly woods. A golf course is 100 acres. Something tells me this isn’t about space.

where do you see a reference to space?  

Sounds like the trend of Air Force golf courses closing has been going on for the past couple years.  Relevant Reddit thread here.

I know golf in general as a sport has declined in a lot of places around the country, due to the usual suspects (lack of free time, shrinking middle class, changes in people's interests, etc).  The fact that the AF golf courses have to be self-funded just make it that much more difficult.

Interesting to see "inclusivity and diversity" weaved into the official press release.  It seems like people in command get extra points anytime they can invoke the holy trinity of DEI.  Perhaps this is just the Barksdale Wing CC being savvy and tacking on "inclusivity and diversity" to anything and everything.

Need to repave the main road?  It's going to be the most inclusive and diverse pavement we can get, utilizing asphalt from underprivileged areas.

Need to replace a snowplow?  We're going to ensure the new plow implements the highest standards of equity, and drive it around in the summer and winter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Sounds like the trend of Air Force golf courses closing has been going on for the past couple years.  Relevant Reddit thread here.

I know golf in general as a sport has declined in a lot of places around the country, due to the usual suspects (lack of free time, shrinking middle class, changes in people's interests, etc).  The fact that the AF golf courses have to be self-funded just make it that much more difficult.

Interesting to see "inclusivity and diversity" weaved into the official press release.  It seems like people in command get extra points anytime they can invoke the holy trinity of DEI.  Perhaps this is just the Barksdale Wing CC being savvy and tacking on "inclusivity and diversity" to anything and everything.

Need to repave the main road?  It's going to be the most inclusive and diverse pavement we can get, utilizing asphalt from underprivileged areas.

Need to replace a snowplow?  We're going to ensure the new plow implements the highest standards of equity, and drive it around in the summer and winter.

Thats what I was saying.  Golf has become more popular after COVID due to it being 'allowed' during the lockdowns but it's expensive to play and expensive to maintain.  Base courses normally are great value due to the low cost for players on above average courses mostly.  With the push to be self-funded, base courses either have to have a great course (phoenix, san diego, C springs, etc) and higher green fees or go away like a lot of good places (tyndall, dm,etc).  

53 minutes ago, uhhello said:

With the push to be self-funded, base courses either have to have a great course (phoenix, san diego, C springs, etc) and higher green fees or go away like a lot of good places (tyndall, dm,etc).  

I thought the only "recent" change in MWR funding was ~35+ years ago when everything was moved to non-appropriated funds (NAF) - meaning all MWR activities had to be self-funded.

Was there something more recent?  Or am I not understanding the history of MWR?

Edited by Blue

58 minutes ago, Blue said:

I thought the only "recent" change in MWR funding was ~35+ years ago when everything was moved to non-appropriated funds (NAF) - meaning all MWR activities had to be self-funded.

Was there something more recent?  Or am I not understanding the history of MWR?

I think it was the 2018 NDAA that forced those sorts of activities to become self-funded/sustainable versus being subsidized by NAF. 

Shortly thereafter, several smaller bases closed their lodging because they couldn’t afford to keep them open. I don’t know what all activities were covered by that NDAA but I believe golf courses was one of them. Now, underutilized activities on base are closing.  

It’s also why some Wg/CCs have tried to mandate TDY travelers stay in base lodging. I understand the reasoning but that’s in violation of the JTR and the mandate usually goes away quietly. 

It’s the ultimate catch-22. Lodging jacked up prices to offset expenses but now the normal traveler that would go on base to save money (retiree, PCS folks, etc) go off base for the same cost and better facilities. The on base activities can’t fund themselves and usually can’t get funding to upgrade to match off base activities. 

Not sure why Congress felt it was a good idea but it really screwed a lot of smaller bases and their ability to have services and infrastructure available all the time. 

• Upvote 2

A number of years ago, Beale went from 9 to 18 holes.  However, 3 years ago the course closed.  There is a local country club just 10 minutes out the Flightline gate that I'm sure is happy to grab a few more members.  

Like Blue, I recall back in the late 80's or early 90's when MWR "deals" began to become "not good deals".  I saw it at the O'Club primarily.  

MWR is a far cry from what it was when I was on active duty.

1 hour ago, Bigred said:

It’s the ultimate catch-22. Lodging jacked up prices to offset expenses but now the normal traveler that would go on base to save money (retiree, PCS folks, etc) go off base for the same cost and better facilities. The on base activities can’t fund themselves and usually can’t get funding to upgrade to match off base activities. 

This.

I remember not that long ago, a room could be had on base for like $39 - no shit - then, almost overnight, it seemed like prices shot up 3X. It made absolutely no sense and made it so that you might as well just stay off base and get the points and better facilities.

1 hour ago, ViperMan said:

This.

I remember not that long ago, a room could be had on base for like $39 - no shit - then, almost overnight, it seemed like prices shot up 3X. It made absolutely no sense and made it so that you might as well just stay off base and get the points and better facilities.

In a giant majority of the places now days, you can go off base for $5 over on base rate with much much nicer accommodations, breakfast and points.  

• Like 1

KBAD about to lose it’s golf course because…DEI?
IMG_3864.thumb.jpeg.3629ffd0aadc214f24897aa3b89d4559.jpeg
Maybe they replace it with a TopGolf kinda setup, rock climbing wall, and some other cool shit? The amount of O's I know that golf is decidedly in the minority.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

This.

I paid $7/night for the DV suite at Randolph on TDY in 1991 because the BOQs were booked. Went to SAT on vacation and stayed in the same suite, for the same price, SPACE-A a year later.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

13 hours ago, ViperMan said:

This.

It’s cheaper to stay in a decent place in Old Town than it is to stay at Andrews. WTF?