What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

5 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Yes

Technically he didn’t make it go away, he was Q3’d for it by the 1st SOW/CC, then Col Slife.  Obviously it didn’t impact his career any.

That’s how I remembered it as well. He then said something how everyone needs a Q3 for some reason since he’d given out dozens.

1 hour ago, HuggyU2 said:

How did he get the Cat5 callsign?

Isn’t a call sign, it’s a nickname coined by some guys in the 15th when he was the DO & CC.  Came from his habit of rolling into offices in the unit, completely upending/wrecking everything and leaving nothing but destruction in his wake.  See Danger’s above comment as an example, when he was a Sq/CC he gave out 34 commander directed Q3s.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, DirkDiggler said:

See Danger’s above comment as an example, when he was a Sq/CC he gave out 34 commander directed Q3s.

WTF is with all the command directed Q3s?  I've gathered that the heavies seem to use them as punishment, but I know we didn't have a single one in my career at my squadron.  A keg/equivalent booze and stand up in front of the squadron to brief the fuck up.  Why put so many black marks on your people, when there are better ways to get your point across?  I feel for these dudes who have to explain a Q3 in an interview when they can't say that their boss was the lead rower in the douche canoe.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, SocialD said:

WTF is with all the command directed Q3s?  I've gathered that the heavies seem to use them as penis.....  I feel for these dudes who have to explain a Q3 in an interview when they can't say that their boss was the lead rower in the douche canoe.  

Maybe they do this so they dont bounce to the Majors as easily?  Or it at least throws a small pebble in the road........ if you're at the interview, they want you. 

Not a lot of Q3s in my dirty little end of the 11H community. Usually given if you crashed (at fault) or blew up an engine, etc...

When I was a boom (man 😢 tear), Q3s were given quite often.. in all crew positions.  I think it was all those GD left over SAC Warriors!

Edited by Biff_T
Spelling bee failure

28 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

I think it was all those GD left over SAC Warriors!

Make sure you say "SAC Warriors" with some respect. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Haha 2

On 12/31/2023 at 9:22 AM, ClearedHot said:

Screaming at his wife.  
... he is a sociopath lunatic and proof the system is completely broken.

Other than that, would you say he's an ok guy?

• Haha 4

yeah, it's one of two biggest lessons in Leadership I've learned the hard way early in my USAF career, at the hands of one of these toxic communities and their approach to Q3s. It really shaped and informed my future evaluation philosophy when I left for greener pastures and into the SEFE role in later life.

I take great personal investment in being as objective as I can, and bring that holistic training opportunity into every evaluation debrief that doesn't warrant a chat with the commander. I can't fix the past, but I can influence the future of the young guys in a productive way. I'm willing to say we do a better job at that than my predecessors in said community. As such, my experience as a SEFE tracks closer to the experience of the 11Fs on here. It's a shame that punitive/quota-driven nonsense persists in the heavy world.

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SocialD said:

WTF is with all the command directed Q3s?  I've gathered that the heavies seem to use them as punishment, but I know we didn't have a single one in my career at my squadron.  A keg/equivalent booze and stand up in front of the squadron to brief the fuck up.  Why put so many black marks on your people, when there are better ways to get your point across?  I feel for these dudes who have to explain a Q3 in an interview when they can't say that their boss was the lead rower in the douche canoe.  

Pressure from your OG/CC, sometimes even Wing/CC. The BPZ types were the most notorious for dishing out Q3s…got to hold the line and can’t take any risks on your way up. Caveat: AMC only, can’t speak to other communities. 

17 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

Idk if it’s funnier if he was named CAT-5 before or after he knocked down all of those trees 🤔

Having personally talked to a few folks that were on said CV-22 when it happened, they are lucky to be alive, one thought for sure they were going to roll over into the trees.

Yes he was Q-3'd but Daddy Slife stepped in and assured Fiel, "I can fix him."

12 hours ago, Danger41 said:

That’s how I remembered it as well. He then said something how everyone needs a Q3 for some reason since he’d given out dozens.

As the CC or DO, you (CAT 5) should be taking a long hard look in the mirror at your own leadership style if you feel like you need to hand out dozens of Q3s in your own damn squadron.  I can’t imagine looking at my section and seeing a single Q3 let alone dozens. 

Edited by lloyd christmas
G
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Make sure you say "SAC Warriors" with some respect. 

Yes sir!

They were still wearing little SAC (sts) patches under the AMC badge..One thing about flying with all those old SAC dudes, is I knew how to make my 69 pounds of paper pubs flawless.  They really liked looking at those write in changes.  They also made sure I knew my shit.. I think the MAC dudes that are still left in AMC are wanna be SAC and they give out Q3s for personal reasons and not because your pubs or you suck as an aviator.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Isn’t a call sign, it’s a nickname coined by some guys in the 15th when he was the DO & CC.  Came from his habit of rolling into offices in the unit, completely upending/wrecking everything and leaving nothing but destruction in his wake.  See Danger’s above comment as an example, when he was a Sq/CC he gave out 34 commander directed Q3s.

This

Quick thread off-ramp:

SAC gave us a patch to wear on our jackets. When the staffing was done, it was given to Gen Chain for final approval. 
He ticked a checkmark on the drawing to signify he approved it. His staff saw the check and figured it was something he wanted added... and so they did. He had a reputation for being pretty gruff and supposedly none of his staff wanted to ask him about it. 
IMG_9166.jpeg.54e402d2b68cfbb77cc21f105960c162.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

I’ve always hated the weaponized Q3 thing but the one I really don’t get is the Q3/Q1 or whatever it’s called. I’d never heard of it until I went to AIS and a bunch of AMC guys had horror stories of busting a level off by 100’ and immediately correcting or other minor things and getting Q-3 then immediately Q1 with no further action. Total lunacy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

...Q3/Q1.

I've heard of a valid Q3/1. Early OEF with sorties going around the clock a crew over torqued all four engines. DECTO 3/1'd the pilots and FE so the story goes to alleviate requal requirements while deployed. I agree, missing a level off by <100' and getting a 3/1 is asinine...monetary deviations and all. Even getting a Q2, or a line item downgrade for that is a bit much for a one time occurrence not on an IAP. 

On 1/2/2024 at 11:04 AM, SocialD said:

WTF is with all the command directed Q3s?  I've gathered that the heavies seem to use them as punishment, but I know we didn't have a single one in my career at my squadron.  A keg/equivalent booze and stand up in front of the squadron to brief the up.  Why put so many black marks on your people, when there are better ways to get your point across?  I feel for these dudes who have to explain a Q3 in an interview when they can't say that their boss was the lead rower in the douche canoe.  

There's a saying in AFSOC in regards to Q3s "those who have and those who will."  A Q3 doesn't tarnish your community rep like I would imagine it would in those where they are far more sparse; it just makes life more difficult as a whole to leave/fly outside of AFSOC (TPS, white jets, etc.)....unsure if that's a bug or a feature.....

Edited by timberlin
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:42 AM, Biff_T said:

Yeap.  Lol.  Piss, shit and fell down reading this. 

Most Excellent! 

Well, if that’s what happened your unicorn dildo must’ve worked. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Bigred said:

Well, if that’s what happened your unicorn dildo must’ve worked. 

😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 .....😉

3 hours ago, brabus said:

I thought DAL was my retirement job, but maybe there’s more $ to be made in eco-friendly dildos. @Biff_T and I are going to be rich!

20240103_152519.gif.cb8edcca1f5354ee94dc1edffc299d52.gif