Latest Movies

B*D*A

On 3/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, b52gator said:

Final Top Gun trailer. Riding in a Tomcat and a Felon cameo at 2:03. My guess: Mav and baby Goose hijack a Tomcat and fly it out of Iran.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 5/25/2022 at 5:14 PM, panchbarnes said:

Watched Top Gun: Maverick last night, great movie, opening scene/credit was awesome.  Great aerial footage, especially the last aerial battle in the movie.  Will have to watch it in IMAX next!

The original was still better.  Better acting, soundtrack and overall entertaining movie. 9/10.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:49 AM, di1630 said:

About 30 min into top gun I thought it was going to end up overhyped but damn, the end was awesome. Great flying scenes throughout. My wife, 9yr old daughter and 12yr old son all really liked it.

Def see it in theater preferably a imax or Dolby.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:59 AM, guineapigfury said:

I saw it in a theater with 4DX, which is the moving seats.  Absolutely worth the money for the upgrade.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:11 AM, Guardian said:

It was 1000 times better than the original

On 5/27/2022 at 9:02 AM, Hacker said:

There's nothing better than watching an O-6 stand in front of a room of graduated TOPGUN crew and explain to them that they have to fly low on the ingress to stay below the radar of the SAMs, and that their Super Bugs are "no match" for the 5th Gen threat.

On the other hand, Jennifer Connelly is a massive MILF.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:43 PM, disgruntledemployee said:

Maverick. Probably the best movie Tom Cruise has ever done.  And I watched the original a few nights ago so it was fresh.  Really nice air work too.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:10 PM, b52gator said:

TG: Mav obviously wasn’t made for the seasoned military aviator, but damn I thought it was really well done and enjoyed it beginning to end, even the stuff that was not “true to life” for military aviation and tactics.

8/10 from this guy

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 5/27/2022 at 11:17 PM, StoleIt said:

Top Gun: Totally unrealistic...stole an F-14A and never once had a compressor stall with those shit-tastic TF30 engines. Sheesh...hack writers.

Also, was waiting for a Star Wars reference with their bombing run.

Also, also...best sequel I've seen in a long time. Would recommend.

On 5/28/2022 at 8:14 PM, uhhello said:

Had to remind the 70 year old sitting next to me that it was a fucking movie after his 20th discussion with his wife about how "that's not how it really works".  Other than the middle 45 minutes of useless drama, it was fucking outstanding.  

And yes, MILF champion of the world.  

On 5/29/2022 at 4:22 PM, tac airlifter said:

I thought TG:Maverick was great for a  movie. Unrealistic and corny, yes, but who cares?  Possibly the best Tom Cruise movie I’ve ever seen.  It makes me sad that despite how many unbelievably awesome missions we’ve done,  the Air Force is too retarded to have any good movies about our service.

On 5/29/2022 at 8:30 PM, nsplayr said:

Top Gun Maverick was fantastic and I’ll fight you if you disagree 🇺🇸 Damn near made me wanna hop up out of my seat and sign up to become a pilot…wait a second…😆

p.s. - their strike mission was tailor-made for a stealthy RPA that you don’t care if it “makes it home” ::runs for the exits as every fighter pilot throws his beer at me::

Or maybe a 90 degree impact angle on that vulnerable Death Star vent straight from space rather than, what, 4x GBU-12s? Those things probably woulda fuckin’ missed 50m long haha

Finally, Penny is 100x better than Charlie. She’s hotter, and frankly filthy rich! The beach-side bar, the beach-side cottage, the beautiful sail boat and god damn if I didn’t blow a load for her gorgeous 1973 911 🚨🚨 That girl has it all.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c267dae45bd0d5248752afc08ce3718.jpeg

On 6/8/2022 at 10:13 PM, brickhistory said:

Saw Top Gun: Maverick today.  Solid A- approaching A for an entertaining movie.

Enough of the looking back to tie it in, but good enough to stand alone.

Amazing what a haircut and a 'stache can do to an actor's appearance.  Rooster/baby Goose was spitting image of the deceased RIO in the film, but nothing like him in real life.

Some minor quibbles, but overall a good flying and entertaining movie.  Kick ass music to go with the flying.

On the bittersweet side, I watched the original in the theater when it came out.  I was newly commissioned, awaiting active duty start.  I was also newly married to the A-model wife.

Naive and motivated, I couldn't wait to join (even on the non-flying side) "we few, we happy few" of the 1986 Air Force.  It was gonna be all doing a meaningful job with the bros and drinking at the O'Club.

Watching it today was the opposite bookend.  Much older, fatter, balder, and with the B-model, I recognized the military as being more the drone admiral's vision than that of the bros.  

Sigh...

And back then, Kelly McGillis' Charlie would've been the choice.  Today, the Jennifer Connolly/Penny would be the age/looks choice.

Good movie.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, Vito said:

I was in UPT when TopGun premiered. We were just finishing up Tweets and heading over to the -38 side. A bunch of us went to see it at the on,y movie theater in Columbus MS. We all thought it was hokey and corny, but good fun. Shortly after, a tidal wave of women entered my life due to their admiration of that hokey, corny movie. Who was I to complain. Outside of being a real Tomcat Driver, it was as good as it gets. So as goofy as the original was, the great memories it conjures up will always have a place in my heart.

I thought the new one was way better, more realistic ( to a degree) and I liked how they tied in the original cast and storyline in the new one. I will see it again with my pilot Son, and soon to be F-18 software engineer Nephew. 

BTW, you are on crack if you think Kelly McGillis, on her best day , is in the same league as Jennifer Connelly!

On 6/20/2022 at 2:16 PM, ecugringo said:

Officially the #1 Tom Cruse movie now.  Only trails Avatar in Revenue at this point in its run.

Saw it with my Dad, he took me when I was 5 for hte original.  Loved it!  Really great film to see in theaters.  

Made the wife watch the original and man was it corny!  Still fun to watch but didn't realize the amount of cheese.

When I was young the original Charlie was the ultimate prize.  Re-watching it.....Nah, she doesn't hold up as well as I thought.  Also thought you could have a Beach Home on a govt contractors salary growing up too.  Jennifer Conneley>Charlie.  There still hotter chics out there.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:07 PM, JimNtexas said:

My 12 year old grandson saw it twice, once with his DAD, and again with me.  That was a few weeks ago.   

Yesterday he wanted to debrief the F-14 fight with the Felons.   Of course he had no idea what a Tomcat even was, so we debriefed with hands and drawings.

He thought Hangman was super cool for saving Maverick and Rooster.

Eight years from now a bunch of new UPT students are going to show because of this movie.

Jesus fucking Christ, top gun Maverick may have been one of the best movies I've ever seen, and I did not like the first one.

Whatever ancient movie writing formula they pulled out of the closet to make Maverick, I hope they don't lose it again. 

No message, no franchise, just a hero, a challenge, and a victory. Awesome.

• Upvote 2

Full disclosure:  After my grandson saw the movie, he asked me if I used to be like Maverick.

I answered honestly:  "I was really more like Bob".

His face fell a bit.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Highly recommend watching the documentary (on Amazon), “Facing Nolan”.  Very well done.

I was a baseball fan growing up in the 80s (not so much now), and Nolan Ryan was always worth watching.  He’s just a great human being, along with being one the best pitchers to ever play the game.  Side note:  I remember watching the game live where Ventura charged the mound and got his ass handed to him by a 40+ year old pitcher from Texas lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Highly recommend watching the documentary (on Amazon), “Facing Nolan”.  Very well done.

I was a baseball fan growing up in the 80s (not so much now), and Nolan Ryan was always worth watching.  He’s just a great human being, along with being one the best pitchers to ever play the game.  Side note:  I remember watching the game live where Ventura charged the mound and got his ass handed to him by a 40+ year old pitcher from Texas lol.

Yup.  Great to show the gargantuan difference between pitching then and now.  

• 1 month later...

But maybe there are some that want to see The Rock in tights and being a meany.  Oh wait, that's Pro Wrestling.  When its on streaming for free, maybe I'll see it on a commute.  Sometimes, all anyone wants is some good ol bashfest between supes cause they don't really get hurt, kinda like Pro Wrestling.  So it'll be the WWF/WWE crowd will be in the theaters, and they don't read the SF Chronicle.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Saw this yesterday. Good watch. 

In other news, this movie got made:

Everyone: "Nothing is new in Hollywood anymore. All they do is reboots and comic book movies." 

Elizabeth Banks: "Hold my beer...."

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, FLEA said:

Everyone: "Nothing is new in Hollywood anymore. All they do is reboots and comic book movies." 

Elizabeth Banks: "Hold my beer...."

Loosely based on a true story. The real bear was apparently posthumously named “Pablo Escobear”. 🤣 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, Fly4five said:

I thought it was a great movie. I saw it on paramount plus though. I didn't think it was on Netflix.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Baseops Network mobile app

Maybe it was Paramount+. I never heard of it until my dad mentioned it to me last night. Then I googled it and it looked awesome. Couldn't believe I haven't heard of it yet. 

Devotion the book is great, the movie fell well short of the book (which is fairly common I suppose). A ton of just OK CGI and green screen, tons of detail missing from the story, not that many actual combat scenes considering the length of the movie. It’s worth a free watch when you’ve got nothing else to do, but I wouldn’t prioritize it or spend money on it. The book is definitely worth picking up. 

Edited by brabus

2nd on reading Devotion, the movie was decent and worth the 3.25 in the desert. It left a lot out on the humor of Jessie Brown and his desire to fly and his up bringing. The flying scenes are decent and the director did his best to use actual planes and sets vs cgi completely like Red Tails. If you’ve got Paramount + watch it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I watched "13 Lives" on Amazon the other night. Disclaimer: Im an avid diver and love scuba diving. The movie was fantastic though. A very emotional story about the recovery of the Thai soccer team that got stranded in that cave in 2018. There were some surprising things about that rescue that were kept hidden from the public at the time that I only learned through the movie, but fact checked afterwards and it was all true. Amazing stuff.