The WOKE Thread (Merged from WTF?)

tac airlifter

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

Yea it's those "local control" dickhead planning commissions that f everything up usually. It's a bug everywhere but incredibly prevalent in many liberal strongholds. "Environmentalists" are cutting off their noses to spite their faces when rejecting clean energy, desalination, etc. projects because we need all that stuff about 10x over if we're going to thrive on our changing / heating world. So so much new stuff needs to be build and the government needs to push aside these low-level commissions, partner with industry, and just build it.

Case in point, my HOA initially tried to deny my project to put solar panels on the back roof of my house for basically aesthetic reasons i.e. no good reason. Joke's on you MFers, I'm now the president of the HOA (which I hate BTW) and approved the project back in January. IMHO HOAs are localized aesthetic fascism typically run by busybody, brainwormed Boomers and I highly recommend never living in one if you can avoid it 😅 What you do on your property is between you, the government and God, I as a random neighbor should have zero say in that.

If I were king for a day I would greenlight every single housing, clean energy (including nuclear) and desalination / water reclamation project on the books and tell the private sector I want 1,000 new projects on my desk by Monday. We need a liberalism that builds and any conservatives that wanna jump on board are also more than welcome too!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, nsplayr said:

What you do on your property is between you, the government and God, I as a random neighbor should have zero say in that.

See, fundamental difference…the government shouldn’t really have a say either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Standby said:

See, fundamental difference…the government shouldn’t really have a say either.

?? How about noise ordinances. Would you be jazzed if your neighbor was discharging firearms outside all night? Or blasting music till 4am? or how about if they were burning trash in their front yard upwind of your home? 

Yes HOAs suck because they tend to overstep, but the government absolutely has a role to restrict certain behaviors even on private property. Because unless you're on a ranch in rural Montana all the stuff I listed above will affect other people in a normal neighborhood. 

I hope you don't have to experience truly sh!t neighbors. I have. And I assure you that after they blow you off in a face to face talk, you wouldn't hesitate to get the government involved. 

7 minutes ago, Pooter said:

?? How about noise ordinances. Would you be jazzed if your neighbor was discharging firearms outside all night? Or blasting music till 4am? or how about if they were burning trash in their front yard upwind of your home? 

Yes HOAs suck because they tend to overstep, but the government absolutely has a role to restrict certain behaviors even on private property. Because unless you're on a ranch in rural Montana all the stuff I listed above will affect other people in a normal neighborhood. 

I hope you don't have to experience truly sh!t neighbors. I have. And I assure you that after they blow you off in a face to face talk, you wouldn't hesitate to get the government involved. 

Is this the same government that allows squatters to pirate someone’s home, and then forces the owners to endure lengthy waiting periods before eviction action…oftentimes without further reprisal to the criminals? Or is it the other government that forces me to spend exorbitant amounts of money for a pool fence to prevent trespassing kids from drowning on my private property? Or perhaps it’s the other, other government that wants me to gain their permission before cutting down dead trees on my land?

Loud music, gunshots in residential, trash burning…maybe you should stop being a tight wad and move out of the slums. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Standby said:

Is this the same government that allows squatters to pirate someone’s home, and then forces the owners to endure lengthy waiting periods before eviction action…oftentimes without further reprisal to the criminals? Or is it the other government that forces me to spend exorbitant amounts of money for a pool fence to prevent trespassing kids from drowning on my private property? Or perhaps it’s the other, other government that wants me to gain their permission before cutting down dead trees on my land?

Loud music, gunshots in residential, trash burning…maybe you should stop being a tight wad and move out of the slums. 

Are these things that have happened to you or just a list of Fox News prime time gripes?

Regardless, thanks for validating my argument. The fact that you called it "the slums" is an overt admission that doing whatever you want on your property can have externalities and can make a whole area less nice. In an alternate reality we could have a nuanced discussion about which things the government should and shouldn't regulate on private property. No trash burning: probably makes sense. Overly specific pool fence laws: probably not.

But you already came up with the most genius solution.. just stop being poor! Wonder if poor people have thought of that..

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Pooter said:

hope you don't have to experience truly sh!t neighbors. I have. And I assure you that after they blow you off in a face to face talk, you wouldn't hesitate to get the government involved

This would suck.  

To be honest, I'd have no issues punching my neighbor in the face if they were this disrespectful.   I live in CA and I would definitely be arrested and become the first person excuted here in the last few decades (because Im a white male and we're on the chopping blocks) lol.  But to punch someone who deserves it, there is no better feeling on Earth.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Standby said:

Here's where you lost the thread. You were doing well.

Are conservatives so far on their heels now that they're arguing for no government involvement at all? Because that's not conservatism, it's not even libertarianism, it's anarchy. The right to property includes protection against other people whose actions would prevent you from using/enjoying yours the way you see fit.

No matter how hard we try, ultimately, that is the subjective line that needs to be defined with limiting principles. Your entire first paragraph was a great list of oversteps, but it's pretty nuts to tell someone that they should move out of the slums as though that's the only place you'll ever be where someone is playing loud music at 3:00 a.m.

You should spend some time if you ever get the chance talking to someone who deals with code enforcement at the city or town level. They're not going to be able to justify everything, but a lot of the rules that seem absurd are actually based on very difficult to decide cases. For example, I found it thoroughly obnoxious that our town has someone driving around making sure no one has overgrown yards (greater than 12"). And honestly, I don't think they should have someone who is proactively looking to enforce these rules, but the tall grasses very quickly become breeding grounds for rats and mice that migrate to the surrounding houses seeking shelter. I know this because my neighbor was overwhelmed by a flood of rats from my property, and when I finally got around to whacking down the overgrowth it looked like one of the biblical plagues scurrying away from my lot.

My biggest problem with code enforcement is when the actual affected parties are all communicating and comfortable with a code violation, but the town is unwilling to waive policy. These laws and regulations exist to protect property owners from other property owners, so if the property owners don't care, the town shouldn't have any standing to enforce. That's where we start to see the real overreach.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

Smart words

100%. Limiting principles are the name of the game. I will be the first to admit HOAs and local governments can go way overboard with restrictive regulations. But that doesn't validate the "gubment can't tell me what to do on my property" argument. 

@HeloDude

and yes I will also acknowledge the government is ineffective in many ways, most notably in the war on drugs.. which has basically nothing to do with local level property code enforcement.

21 minutes ago, Pooter said:

@HeloDude

and yes I will also acknowledge the government is ineffective in many ways, most notably in the war on drugs.. which has basically nothing to do with local level property code enforcement.

Actually it does.  It shows that laws don’t stop certain things from happening…whether these are laws against using drugs or laws against putting a pool in your backyard with only a 4’ fence and not a 5’ fence.  It’s all selective enforcement…so all you’re doing is screwing over a certain segment of the population for a victimless crime, regardless of whether it’s a local, state, or federal law.

Try calling the cops in NYC for your neighbor playing their music too loud and see if the cops care enough to stop by…I doubt it many cases it will happen. So saying we need laws for people to put up/not put their fences, put up/not put solar panels, etc is straight up stupid.  

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

https://twitter.com/OliLondonTV/status/16743LGBT Foundation recommends people use the word bonus holeinstead ofvaginain order to avoid upsetting trans people.

Ok, all of you who blindly support this wokeism are Bonus Holes.  How's that?

So is 'penis' now 'joystick'?!

Bonus Hole lol

The bonus hole has historically been her butt, only now have the liberals decided to shake things up with another change to the way things have always been.  Is it a distraction from something? Lol

10 hours ago, HeloDude said:

But nearly half the country supports this type of nonsense…even several guys on this site.

I think most of the country does not support the radical bullshit. However most of the country does share in the blame when they do nothing about it (except stick their heads in the sand/bitch about it at the BBQ but demonstrate no action). There’s a difference between actively believing in, and actioning on, these things and just standing on the sideline. 

• Upvote 2