VA disability that doesn’t affect FAA/ civilian flying

Guardian

Just now, di1630 said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say 80% of USAF claims are natural aging related. Maybe more.

Hard for me to believe that sitting behind a desk leaves so many shoe clerks disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

True, I can’t say my above comment references a single shoe clerk. But are true desk jockeys really 80% of the VA claims from the AF? That’s probably significant hyperbole. I’m sure there are many valid ratings for MX, some poor bastard shoe clerk who got sucked into Chang’s AFPAK wet dream and got hurt, SF guys, every dude who flies on airplanes, etc. 

Id give up all monetary possessions to remove mental illnesses from people who sufer from them.  All of it.  Its fucking scary when you cant control your mind or actions.  When your family is always uncomfortable around you, when you cant go out without getting into verbal and physical altercations with people.  Thinking you're going to die because you hit a bump in the car.   Pointing weapons at people you love.  Thinking about bad things most of the day.  You cant have conversations with people because  you cant stop talking (pressured speach).  Scaring your family and friends daily.   Seeing and hearing dead people.   Nightmares every fucking night.   Get help if you need it, don't end up dead or in jail.  

Edited by Biff_T

14 minutes ago, brabus said:

Valid there are scammers, but I don’t believe that’s a large percentage. I know a ton of dudes, and have met many more, who have legit VA claims. It’s unfortunate dbags exist, but certainly don’t want random civilians thinking “it’s a scam” as the default when they meet a vet who has a VA rating. 

This

8 hours ago, Danger41 said:

I don’t have a solution to prevent the false claims and it’s not up to me to determine.

I mean there is a very drawn out, multi-level reviewed process for how VA disability claims are adjudicated. The fact that a system can be scammed by some small % of people doesn't mean the system is bad, I challenge you to find any large system with zero waste or scamability.

I do shake my head at veterans who openly try to maximize their VA disability for BS reasons, but at the same time it's not up to me to judge, even as a taxpayer. If their disability is found to be legit by the process that I consider pretty thorough (I have a disability % myself), then ok, I will not ever have access to all the details on someone else.

12 minutes ago, di1630 said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say 80% of USAF claims are natural aging related. Maybe more. Hard for me to believe that sitting behind a desk leaves so many shoe clerks disabled.

That's completely beside the point. Straight from the VA website, "VA disability compensation provides monthly benefits to Veterans in recognition of the effects of disabilities, diseases, or injuries incurred or aggravated during active military service."

If you are affected by a disability, disease, or injury that happened while active military service, you may be eligible for VA disability compensation. The fact that many of those disabilities, diseases and injuries happen to the civilian population during the course of their working careers is irrelevant - VA disability is setup to pay veterans for these things if/when they happen.

Example: one of my best friends laid down his crotch rocket and broke his collarbone while on active duty. Got 10% for that due to arm mobility limitations afterward. Is riding a crotch rocket on a Friday night and hitting a bit of gravel something that's super unique to military service? Absolutely not. But he was injured while serving on active duty; the compensation is appropriate. Sucks for the civilians who suffer similar injuries, the recruiter's chair is always open. Military service confers all kinds of unique benefits while also sometimes asking for very unique sacrifices.

Honestly understanding the intent of the system, think of VA disability as a piece of delayed compensation not unlike your pension, which is highly unique compared to the 98.69% of the civilian sector of today.

Bottom line on bottom: don't claim shit that's not true, be able to look yourself in the mirror, but understand the intent of the VA disability system and don't leave money on the table that you should be getting.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

Bottom line on bottom: don't claim shit that's not true, be able to look yourself in the mirror, but understand the intent of the VA disability system and don't leave money on the table that you should be getting.

This as well

9 hours ago, Danger41 said:

The guy I work with who is a retired E-7 and told me that he “sold it” to get a carpal tunnel diagnosis and some other crap to get 100% like that’s a badge of honor. Or the Boot Camp PTSD claims for 100%. 

I bet these guys like being pegged.  

I call these guys out on their bullshit and not with my mouth.   It's worth being arrested for. 

That guy better not say that to an operator.  Those guys actually know how to fight.  Lol. But a throat punch is a throat punch.  

Edited by Biff_T

It’s also important to remember that a disability rating for a service member is completely different from a civilian. A bum knee or shoulder might just be an annoyance in civilian life but could disqualify you from worldwide deployment and curtail further military employment. 

Take the AF fit test for example. The AF expects you (males at least) to be able to run a timed 1.5 mile course with little regression for ages 18-49 (after age 49 you get three more minutes) and in any weather environment! 

There is also a certain amount of fudging going on with VA claims too. I remember one SVO who wanted me to claim all sorts of things I thought was dubious at best. He also had no good answers on what disability claims might affect civilian or GS employment.

I can certainly see some individuals being talked into claiming benefits they might later regret. 

25 minutes ago, HeyEng said:

It’s also important to remember that a disability rating for a service member is completely different from a civilian. A bum knee or shoulder might just be an annoyance in civilian life but could disqualify you from worldwide deployment and curtail further military employment. 

Take the AF fit test for example. The AF expects you (males at least) to be able to run a timed 1.5 mile course with little regression for ages 18-49 (after age 49 you get three more minutes) and in any weather environment! 

There is also a certain amount of fudging going on with VA claims too. I remember one SVO who wanted me to claim all sorts of things I thought was dubious at best. He also had no good answers on what disability claims might affect civilian or GS employment.

I can certainly see some individuals being talked into claiming benefits they might later regret. 

There is an entire industry dedicated to getting the highest possible rating 🙂 I would love to know how we get a system that ensures that folks get exactly what they are legally entitled to while not allowing biking of the system.  It's not possible.  Once or twice a year they will publicly arrest/prosecute a sickening high profile fraud case but thats just a drop in the bucket.  

On 2/16/2022 at 3:38 PM, Butters said:

You should never worry if there is a VA Disability Condition that will keep you from getting an FAA Medical. Why? Because you either have the conditions or you don’t. If you do, you shouldn’t have an FAA medical. If you don’t it doesn’t matter.

If you do, and say you don’t, or vise versa you are lying and will end up in jail if you are caught. 

Butters for the win.  

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

What ever happened to Butters?  

I think he went full Professor  Chaos!  Lol

Edited by Biff_T
Spelling bee failure
  • Haha 1

On 8/27/2023 at 3:51 PM, di1630 said:

Quasi-retort from AOPA

https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2023/march/01/va-benefit-update

TL/DR

The good news is that things are looking better for airmen caught up in the FAA’s VA disability “special project” with the FAA’s more prevalent use of Letters of Correction. For those who have received a Letter of Correction, the good news is that you are likely to avoid revocation of all certificates and the focus should be your continued eligibility to hold an airman medical certificate. If you are one of the unfortunate airmen who have received an Order of Revocation, keep in mind that the arbitrary and capriciousness of the FAA’s decision to not give you a Letter of Correction may be a viable defense in your case. If you need to “amend” your previous application(s), do so immediately, as the FAA continues to actively pursue airmen under the “special project.”

They also link to their own article on how/when/why to preemptively self report/amend (& don’t just wait until your next AME visit).

I do agree with the assessment that this is somewhat discriminatorily focused against veterans, because they are an “easy” cross reference check… a fair solution would be to also cross reference non-veteran medical records… but an eventuality might mean no more self reporting and PCM records reviewed during AME visit… which could actually exacerbate the problem - instead of being treated and hiding the fact of that treatment, pilots wont even seek professionals help.

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 7:59 AM, Tommy said:

SSRI side note… I’m an active duty pilot and on a SSRI and the FAA doc doesn’t see any issues with me getting a special issuance first class medical…. With that said if I stay on the SSRI it’s gonna cost me $3,000 to $7,000 just to get my first class medical once you factor in the Pyschologist and psychiatrist appointments to include the testing they want me to do. The price varies depending on how I do on my testing. Then the reoccurring appointments/testing is gonna cost me $1,000 to $3,000 a year to keep my first class medical. One Pyschologist that I spoke to recommended I just get off the SSRI and apply for a regular first class and that’s the route I’m thinking. He said it’s much cheaper to get a first class medical while not on an SSRI vs getting a special issuance while on an SSRI. I Just figured I’d give some people first hand knowledge of what I’ve been going through. Basically, it’s doable but costly for the SSRI and the CPAP seems much easier to get approved and much less costly. 

I know this was 2 years ago… but I thought they (FAA) since removed the need for, at least some of, the re-evaluations (psych, neuro, ??) have any experience with that? And they’ve added Wellbutrin to the list. Still requires a 6 month trial I believe.

On 8/28/2023 at 11:21 AM, uhhello said:

There is an entire industry dedicated to getting the highest possible rating 🙂 I would love to know how we get a system that ensures that folks get exactly what they are legally entitled to while not allowing biking of the system.  It's not possible.  Once or twice a year they will publicly arrest/prosecute a sickening high profile fraud case but thats just a drop in the bucket.  

Medicare fraud is estimated at $20B a year and there's probably a similar amount in Food Stamps, Social Security Disability, etc. and Uncle Sam ain't lifting a figure to stop any of that. 

Im too lazy to look it up.  What do you need for flying an experimental?

Just a pilot's license correct?   

No FAA physical?  

I lost my FAA physical in 2019.  I really miss flying.  

Lazy Biff

Edited by Biff_T
Spelling bee failure

No FAA physical?  
Lazy Biff

Might want to look up light sport vs experimental and basic med.
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

No FAA physical?  

Lazy Biff

You can do anything once. (See articles regarding crazy mechanic at Horizon.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TreeA10 said:

Did flight at University of Illinois, started teaching at the local FBO after getting my CFI in my sophomore year.  'Nother UofI flight grad was teaching there as well, and he had the unique experience of interning at the Anchorage FSDO.  According to him, one of the corporate goals of that office was to achieve greater than 50% certification of active flying pilots in Alaska.

As he put it, flying in Alaska was something akin to a tractor or combine on a typical family farm; at some point, probably early adolescence, someone taught you how use the farm equipment, and now you were responsible for operating it.

@Biff_T What you’re looking for is light sport (LSA) and Basic Med. However, I believe you have to have a current class 3 in order to get basic med initially (and then you’re gtg even if you subsequently lose the class 3). But, worth doing further research on the class 3 req/waiver process to get basic med without class 3. 

…or ref BFM’s post. Way more people flying without license/med/insurance than most think. I’m not condoning it, but it is fact. 

52 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

Might want to look up light sport vs experimental and basic med.

36 minutes ago, TreeA10 said:

21 minutes ago, BFM this said:

Did flight at University of Illinois, started teaching at the local FBO after getting my CFI in my sophomore year.  'Nother UofI flight grad was teaching there as well, and he had the unique experience of interning at the Anchorage FSDO.  According to him, one of the corporate goals of that office was to achieve greater than 50% certification of active flying pilots in Alaska.

As he put it, flying in Alaska was something akin to a tractor or combine on a typical family farm; at some point, probably early adolescence, someone taught you how use the farm equipment, and now you were responsible for operating it.

8 minutes ago, brabus said:

@Biff_T What you’re looking for is light sport (LSA) and Basic Med. However, I believe you have to have a current class 3 in order to get basic med initially (and then you’re gtg even if you subsequently lose the class 3). But, worth doing further research on the class 3 req/waiver process to get basic med without class 3. 

…or ref BFM’s post. Way more people flying without license/med/insurance than most think. I’m not condoning it, but it is fact. 

Thanks dudes.