Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

1 hour ago, HuggyU2 said:

I would hope the Captain (pictured) is not his main defense attorney, and that he has hired a highly experienced professional. 

Are you assuming that a “highly experienced professional” means a favorable outcome for the accused? A quick Google search shows she practiced at a firm before becoming a JAG. Hiring a civilian attorney to represent you at a court martial only guarantees one thing, you spending thousands of dollars. In no way shape or form does that mean you’re obtaining a favorable outcome. An Article 120 charge is around $20K+ alone in a retainer.

She’s likely co-counsel.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of interesting RUMINT in the ether this week regarding the early replacement (soft firing?) of the current AFSOC/CC.  Not sure that I'd put money on it given who his daddy rabbit is but here's to hoping.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Lots of interesting RUMINT in the ether this week regarding the early replacement (soft firing?) of the current AFSOC/CC.  Not sure that I'd put money on it given who his daddy rabbit is but here's to hoping.

Something to do with CV-22’s?

8 minutes ago, whiskeychevelle said:

Rumor is going to USAFA. Sorry cadets 

I’d argue that the cadets are young and will bounce back.  They probably don’t give a shit who is in charge at the top as they’re just trying to keep their heads down and graduate.

Much better him there as opposed to his current position where he’s doing his level best to completely trash/fuck up every part of AFSOC.  The level of thrash in the command right now cause of him is the worst I’ve seen in 20+ years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DirkDiggler said:

I’d argue that the cadets are young and will bounce back.  They probably don’t give a shit who is in charge at the top as they’re just trying to keep their heads down and graduate.

Much better him there as opposed to his current position where he’s doing his level best to completely trash/ up every part of AFSOC.  The level of thrash in the command right now cause of him is the worst I’ve seen in 20+ years.

I agree wholeheartedly. Out to pasture is where he belongs though. 

15 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Something to do with CV-22’s?

Honestly don’t know, this is all coming out of the HQ and I don’t work there so it’s second hand info.  There’s speculation that it’s tied to that but that’s all firm as jello.  
  There’s been a lot more buffoonery/mishaps across the command in the last year then what’s made the news, could be related to that.
  There’s a CV-22 all call this coming week at HRT where they’re supposedly discussing the way ahead WRT that community.

21 minutes ago, DirkDiggler said:

There’s been a lot more buffoonery/mishaps across the command in the last year then what’s made the news, could be related to that.

From a former AFSOC guy still tangentially attached, I can tell you that the command (line flying bros O-5 and down) seem afraid of their own shadow and a culture of Uber compliance has replaced that warrior spirit from the GWOT generation. Pretty sure that’s deliberate and starts from the top down. Honestly, pretty disappointing.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

From a former AFSOC guy still tangentially attached, I can tell you that the command (line flying bros O-5 and down) seem afraid of their own shadow and a culture of Uber compliance has replaced that warrior spirit from the GWOT generation. Pretty sure that’s deliberate and starts from the top down. Honestly, pretty disappointing.

There's some of that, for sure.  Definitely seems like some guys are leading scared.  Since CAT 5 gave out 34 CC directed Q3s in his time as a Sq/CC and isn't averse to firing people, if you're a careerist CC in AFSOC right now you can see that logic (not that I agree with it).

A lot of the mishaps/buffoonery I referenced above isn't coming from that; its coming from either ignorance or in several cases willful disregard of regs.  AFSOC is extremely lucky that there hasn't been more death/injury up to this point.  

In my MWS, I'm seriously concerned that CAT 5 is willfully marching my community towards Class As.  We're about to have an almost 50% reduction in the SOI at the schoolhouse, they're also going to stop teaching several METLs that I'd argue are core to our mission sets.  These METLs will now have to be taught at the Sq, where we're younger than we've ever been; some of them are also the more risky things we do.  We're also about to start getting pilots direct from the T-6 track on a shortened syllabus with less hours and experience.

CAT 5 is pushing more and more risk to the line Sq/CCs without giving them any additional resources (beyond trying to throw a shitload of additional flight hours our way) to try and fix the experience problem.  Most of the ideas he's pitching/implementing (large increase in flight hours, large increase in MQF test questions, pushing training onus onto ops Sqs that are ill equipped to conduct it) aren't fixing anything; in many cases it's going to make things worse, at least WRT retention and risk.  The guys in HQ seem like they either don't care or are just trying to keep their heads down since if they speak up they'll get shot in the face anyway.  

Apologies for the long post and possible thread derail.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DirkDiggler said:

The guys in HQ seem like they either don't care or are just trying to keep their heads down since if they speak up they'll get shot in the face anyway.  

That’s the staff in a nutshell, and probably has been that way since the 70s. Sad.

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2024 at 1:48 PM, DirkDiggler said:

There's some of that, for sure.  Definitely seems like some guys are leading scared.  Since CAT 5 gave out 34 CC directed Q3s in his time as a Sq/CC and isn't averse to firing people, if you're a careerist CC in AFSOC right now you can see that logic (not that I agree with it).

A lot of the mishaps/buffoonery I referenced above isn't coming from that; its coming from either ignorance or in several cases willful disregard of regs.  AFSOC is extremely lucky that there hasn't been more death/injury up to this point.  

In my MWS, I'm seriously concerned that CAT 5 is willfully marching my community towards Class As.  We're about to have an almost 50% reduction in the SOI at the schoolhouse, they're also going to stop teaching several METLs that I'd argue are core to our mission sets.  These METLs will now have to be taught at the Sq, where we're younger than we've ever been; some of them are also the more risky things we do.  We're also about to start getting pilots direct from the T-6 track on a shortened syllabus with less hours and experience.

CAT 5 is pushing more and more risk to the line Sq/CCs without giving them any additional resources (beyond trying to throw a shitload of additional flight hours our way) to try and fix the experience problem.  Most of the ideas he's pitching/implementing (large increase in flight hours, large increase in MQF test questions, pushing training onus onto ops Sqs that are ill equipped to conduct it) aren't fixing anything; in many cases it's going to make things worse, at least WRT retention and risk.  The guys in HQ seem like they either don't care or are just trying to keep their heads down since if they speak up they'll get shot in the face anyway.  

Apologies for the long post and possible thread derail.

He's the reason I stopped being so wishy washy about retiring and hit the button.  During the SOI re-write last year for the ACJ, we accomplished a 50% training reduction time..  on paper.   We actually added a few events to the SOI, removed nothing, and pushed nothing to the squadron.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/17/2024 at 2:48 PM, DirkDiggler said:

Since CAT 5 gave out 34 CC directed Q3s in his time as a Sq/CC and isn't averse to firing people, if you're a careerist CC in AFSOC right now you can see that logic (not that I agree with it).

WUT?  If I were an OG or above, and I had a SQ/CC that handed out more than a one CC directed Q3s, I'd be wanting some explanations.  More than a few and I'm probably setting aside a day to go through them all with the SQ/CC.  34!?!?!  I'd probably removed the guy because clearly he doesn't know how to lead.  In my entire career, I know of exactly one Q3 that happened while I was in the squadron.  That was during the B-Course where a dude Q-3'd his first form 8 ride for some serious buffoonery on ground ops.  ...ended up being a patch, so it didn't hurt him too bad.  I've never seen a single command directed Q-3, though I know of one case that warranted one lol. 

Anyway, this doesn't sound like a guy I'd want in charge of our future AF leaders.  This sounds like a great time for a community wide "dear boss" letter.  The last thing we need is his style influencing USAFA cadets and permeating throughout the AF.  This is a great time for all you dudes about to bail from service to start a grass roots movement and make one more positive impact on the AF.  You're always allowed to talk to your congressman.  

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 10:54 AM, DirkDiggler said:

Ironic that it took and an Army GO to end this clown.  Hearing USAFA is NOT a done deal.

Also heard next AFSOC/CC will be a bit of a surprise...someone jumping the line.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SocialD said:

WUT?  If I were an OG or above, and I had a SQ/CC that handed out more than a one CC directed Q3s, I'd be wanting some explanations.  More than a few and I'm probably setting aside a day to go through them all with the SQ/CC.  34!?!?!  I'd probably removed the guy because clearly he doesn't know how to lead.  In my entire career, I know of exactly one Q3 that happened while I was in the squadron.  That was during the B-Course where a dude Q-3'd his first form 8 ride for some serious buffoonery on ground ops.  ...ended up being a patch, so it didn't hurt him too bad.  I've never seen a single command directed Q-3, though I know of one case that warranted one lol. 

Anyway, this doesn't sound like a guy I'd want in charge of our future AF leaders.  This sounds like a great time for a community wide "dear boss" letter.  The last thing we need is his style influencing USAFA cadets and permeating throughout the AF.  This is a great time for all you dudes about to bail from service to start a grass roots movement and make one more positive impact on the AF.  You're always allowed to talk to your congressman.  

It was quite a rough period for that Sq, for sure.  I don't disagree that he shouldn't be leading anything or anyone.  That period in AFSOC in general was real stupid; the command almost seemed like they were trying to out-AMC AMC with the number of Q3s that were being handed out.   

That said, I personally think that he'd do less harm at USAFA than his current position, but that's just one guy's opinion.

While I appreciate the sentiment regarding the "Dear Boss" letter, CAT 5 doesn't and won't give a shit about something like that.  At all.  If anything he'd probably track down the guy or gal who wrote it, delay their retirement pending some type of investigation, and try to give them an Article 15 for insubordination or some such nonsense.  I kid, but not really.

I personally believe that at the upper echelons of leadership the AF knows exactly the problems it has; they're just either unable or unwilling to take actual steps to address it.  CAT 5 being a case in point.  After he put an Osprey in the trees as a Grp/CC, his wing commander told the AFSOC/CC "I can fix him".  Nothing happened, and now fast forward 12 years we're all dealing with the fallout.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Ironic that it took and an Army GO to end this clown.  Hearing USAFA is NOT a done deal.

Also heard next AFSOC/CC will be a bit of a surprise...someone jumping the line.

Well, when one of your first initiatives as MAJCOM CC involves trying to kill the SOCOM 4 day holiday weekends, you're gonna leave an impression.  Just probably not the one he was hoping for.

Our sewing circle thought the next guy in the seat would be Farrell, or possibly Matrie.  I get the impression that AFSOC's GO bench isn't that deep right now, but I could be wrong.  If they're jumping someone ahead I'd be curious to see who; that also sounds a bit ominous given there's several young AFSOC GOs that I haven't been too impressed with.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DirkDiggler said:

I personally believe that at the upper echelons of leadership the AF knows exactly the problems it has; they're just either unable or unwilling to take actual steps to address it.  CAT 5 being a case in point.  After he put an Osprey in the trees as a Grp/CC, his wing commander told the AFSOC/CC "I can fix him".  Nothing happened, and now fast forward 12 years we're all dealing with the fallout.

I heard RUMINT at one point that "the plan" was to take both Slife the Knife and Fat Tony and exile them to Korea as a career-killer SOF backwater, but that happened right as KJU started sabre-rattling, suddenly Korea mattered again, and inexplicably they both snatched victory (i.e. more stars) from the jaws of defeat. 🤷‍♂️ It's quite hard to F-kill toxic senior leaders in any large organization, I guess I just had higher hopes that AFSOC would find a way in this case.

Here's to hoping those poor bastard USAFA cadets get a (big!) new CC and AFSOC can be rid of the Sith once and for all.

image.png.b851fe5ccaaad9b626173b4f48121b36.png

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Our sewing circle thought the next guy in the seat would be Farrell, or possibly Matrie.  I get the impression that AFSOC's GO bench isn't that deep right now, but I could be wrong.  If they're jumping someone ahead I'd be curious to see who; that also sounds a bit ominous given there's several young AFSOC GOs that I haven't been too impressed with.

Farrell is so funny to me. He’s pretty much universally liked but my old squadron was the first he addressed as a new wing commander when we got back from a long deployment over Christmas. Started the brief by welcoming our sister squadron home, then told us to take leave on the weekends to not have use/lose, the duty day shouldn’t end until 1730 (which is why retreat played at HRT then for years), and several other things that were honestly misspeaks due to nervousness. He crashed and burned so hard and my squadron hated him lol. Reminded me of this.

I’d hope for Tom Palenske but even he has some negative info from a senior AFSOC guy I know and respect. Can’t win ‘em all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1