The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

1704574697608?e=1707350400&v=beta&t=fGjHRS3Tgq5u2v7n_dHNVRO2JXztI8YWspym9WzjmhM

1704574697614?e=1707350400&v=beta&t=qvIGnupbGoOUN-CIaLueB-ZtWyJPggsqyWTFtO0dKZQ
I thought this was interesting. I never bothered to look at doors that closely.

The even crazier part is I learned that Ryanair has that extra exit not because they fly the Max 9…but because they have their own model where they cram 200 people into an 8 size airframe that US carriers put maybe 170 people in.

6 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

The even crazier part is I learned that Ryanair has that extra exit not because they fly the Max 9…but because they have their own model where they cram 200 people into an 8 size airframe that US carriers put maybe 170 people in.

It's a crazy soul sucking experience from check in to landing with RyanAir and it used to be justified with dirt cheap fares.  Those fares aren't there anymore.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Ryan Air also cleans the aircraft once at the end of the day. Imagine that… 

It might have been at the beginning of the day if at all…

They also sell lotto tickets on descent and charge to use the lav.

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

They sell everything from taxi to de-boarding.  It's non-stop.  

Is the Ryan Air experience like using a boat-cruise app?  Pay for drink package, boarding, excursion, gambling...but on an 'air' not seapass? ...yeesh, what's next mandatory gratuities!?

Don't forget that the Ryan Air airport is up to 2 HOURS from the city named on the ticket.  Made the mistake of flying Ryan Air to "Oslo".  Two hour bus ride from the airport and we finally got to actual Oslo.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2024 at 7:11 PM, Smokin said:

Don't forget that the Ryan Air airport is up to 2 HOURS from the city named on the ticket.  Made the mistake of flying Ryan Air to "Oslo".  Two hour bus ride from the airport and we finally got to actual Oslo.

Yup. I got burned by that in Venice.

Way back in the day you could fly dirt cheap.  Alot of fares were taxes only.  I can deal with alot when you're paying 15 quid for a flight and in the UK, Stanstead was only 40 minutes from the house so it was pretty convenient.  Then those fares went away and the pay for everything model and pain came.  

Yup, they can only have those cheap fares so long.  After they've created a name and burned through an asston of cash, it's time to make some money.  Then the fees show up and people lose their mind.   Turns out it costs money to move people by air, but people think air travel is a born right, so they lose their minds when they have to pay more.  

Not long ago a buddy wad like why is it so damn expensive to fly these days?  I looked and I could go round trip from DTW to LAX for $500 or CUN for $600.  I'm like seems cheap for what you're getting... which is your ass parked in a chair in the sky, moving at 500 mph to a place that wasn't even reachable for 99% of Americans just a few decades ago lol.  It's probably still cheaper than it's ever been to fly.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

It's way cheaper to fly now than when I was a kid flying back and forth to Taiwan every couple of years. TPE to BNA was $1,000 in 1976, fast forward to the last time I flew that a few years ago (2015) it was $1,200.  I just now looked ... $939 rt. I realize prices change constantly but that's insanely cheap.

image.thumb.png.294d5bd0de617e58d1f7fdbe907a9d37.png

• Upvote 1

It's way cheaper to fly now than when I was a kid flying back and forth to Taiwan every couple of years. TPE to BNA was $1,000 in 1976, fast forward to the last time I flew that a few years ago (2015) it was $1,200.  I just now looked ... $939 rt. I realize prices change constantly but that's insanely cheap.
image.thumb.png.294d5bd0de617e58d1f7fdbe907a9d37.png

But what about your carbon footprint?! I guess someone must really care about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

But what about your carbon footprint?! I guess someone must really care about that.

If you pay United a few extra carbon footprint dollars, they’ll put it straight into Scott Kirby’s pocketbook and fly you just the same.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, herkbum said:

I saw that too. What a joke. To be fair, it might be Google or Expedia instead of United tracking that crap.

Edited by bfargin

I booked a flight in DTS from HDN to BNA (with a brief MSP layover) for $377 on Delta. Hot damn that’s a low price for a hell of a long flight!

Air travel today is a modern miracle and people just love to bitch about things that even turn-of-the-century billionaires would kill to enjoy.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, nsplayr said:

I booked a flight in DTS from HDN to BNA (with a brief MSP layover) for $377 on Delta. Hot damn that’s a low price for a hell of a long flight!

Air travel today is a modern miracle and people just love to bitch about things that even turn-of-the-century billionaires would kill to enjoy.

That's the DTS subsidized price, not true cost. 

All national, commercial pax airlines are subsidized, some smaller carriers and routes by the Essential Air Service subsidy. Prices are further negotiatied down in the City Pair Program which benefit greatly from said subsidies in that negotiation, so DTS flights are cheaper. How to estimate, then add that cost to your ticket...I have no idea, but it's real expense is much greater.

https://www.gsa.gov/plan-book/transportation-airfare-pov-etc/airfare-rates-city-pair-program

In actual airline hiring news, SWA is not opening up their application window this month.  They also sent out emails to anyone with a scheduled interview in the future that it’s been canceled and that the applicants will need to reapply when the window opens up (vs just be given an new interview date).

1 hour ago, Swizzle said:

That's the DTS subsidized price, not true cost.

Ya, not my first rodeo, just making a point that modern air travel at current prices (even Delta.com vs DTS prices) is awesome and people are wrong imagining there was a long-lost golden age of flying that was accessible to the same number of people as today.

Better for pilots, way hotter FAs, great for the wealthy, yea sure. But today everyday people can fly to Europe or Asia for a week or two’s wages and that simply was not possible in that former era.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HeloDude said:

In actual airline hiring news, SWA is not opening up their application window this month.  They also sent out emails to anyone with a scheduled interview in the future that it’s been canceled and that the applicants will need to reapply when the window opens up (vs just be given an new interview date).

I seem to recall a guy from a few years back who was offered an interview by SW who cut his King Air ISR gig short to be back for the interview when they called to say the offer was in error. About an hour outside of Dallas. 🤦‍♂️