The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

My company’s Roth 401k doesn’t accept Roth money. Apparently they didn’t pay Fidelity for that option or somesuch. I had to transfer my Roth TSP to my Roth IRA.

regardless, it’s all done online from the TSP website. Your receiving custodian will receive a mailed check from TSP.  The only identifying information on the check is your name and account number at the receiving institution, so be sure those are filled out correctly on the TSP web form. Total evolution: 2 weeks. In my case I then had to buy something with the cash they deposited. A 401k will auto-buy whatever you have set up. 

• Like 3

So “customers of size” flying on SWA can now essentially book two seats for the price of one?  Who gets to determine who is a “customer of size” and who isn’t?  Because I have no problem identifying as a “customer of size” to always have an open seat next me at no additional cost.

https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/extra-seat-policy

image.thumb.jpeg.5e944442504e9b12409cfe68e6effbd2.jpeg

12 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

So “customers of size” flying on SWA can now essentially book two seats for the price of one?  Who gets to determine who is a “customer of size” and who isn’t?  Because I have no problem identifying as a “customer of size” to always have an open seat next me at no additional cost.

https://www.southwest.com/help/booking/extra-seat-policy

image.thumb.jpeg.5e944442504e9b12409cfe68e6effbd2.jpeg

I checked that info and REALLY wanted it to not be true.  It is.  Right on their site.  

"Super fat is how we identify," Chaney, business owner of Jae Bae Productions, said. "There's a spectrum of fatness. And as a super fat individual, you start needing different accommodations… I just felt really happy that there was something like this for people." 

"I hope to see more airlines implement customer-of-size policies. The Southwest customer size policy helps many travelers offset the disproportionate costs that we incur because of needing extra room. And so, it's not just about physical accessibility. It's also about financial accessibility." 

On 12/12/2023 at 12:10 PM, Clark Griswold said:

Anybody roll their TSP to their 401k and any tips/gotchas?

Seems straightforward but before I pull the handle any advice is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to add the one gotcha I experienced and this may have been just me, but I suspect that it is a systemic issue, at least with ARPC, as evidenced by others on Reddit having the same:

I retired from AFRES (IRR) and did their outprocessing checklists in all aspects. One month later, TSP website still showed me as "Active".

The fix: ARPC needed to transmit to DFAS that I retired and failed to do so. I had to open a MyFSS ticket to cause ARPC finance people to do their jorb. They opened a CMS case with their people at DFAS and then they adjusted my status (for this particular system) to "retired." This info got transmitted to TSP about 2 weeks later and then I could start the TSP withdrawal process. Total evolution on this was 2 months.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FUSEPLUG said:

I get the feeling there will be a certain ilk of people with zero shame who will take advantage of this like those pre-boarding in a wheelchair.  But in the end, it's a lot harder to fake being fat than it is being disabled.  

I didn't get the joke at first on OE when my CKA remarked that the FA's will cure 3/4's of the pax getting on early in wheelchairs. After we put the jet to sleep I noticed a good half dozen wheel chair pushers still waiting for pax when I got off and told them the jet was now empty.

30 minutes ago, StoleIt said:

I didn't get the joke at first on OE when my CKA remarked that the FA's will cure 3/4's of the pax getting on early in wheelchairs. After we put the jet to sleep I noticed a good half dozen wheel chair pushers still waiting for pax when I got off and told them the jet was now empty.

Miracles occur on many flights and the lame are cured and can walk again! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brabus said:

That’ll change once they realize how much fatass America is tanking their revenue. What a stupid idea. 

Maybe not as dumb as it looks…

It’s Southwest. Open seating; those seats go unfilled anyway 97% of the time, since you can’t physically put somebody there and nobody’s going to insist on lifting a love handle to take their seat. I guarantee you that fat, cheap people aren’t buying two seats en masse with southwest now.

This way they can charge a fee to process the refund (or keep the cash in exchange for travel credit) and they get to put the cash to work between purchase and refund. At an airline committed to open seating, this is how you create a surcharge while winning a PR victory in the community you’re extracting dollars from  

8 hours ago, FUSEPLUG said:

... it's a lot harder to fake being fat than it is being disabled.  

Oh, you're wrong on this!

Someone will be denied the extra seat, and they will file suit for discrimination.  

"I paid the same price as he did. Why can't I have the seat?"   Will there be data and measurements to see who qualifies?  "So you're saying I need a seat belt extender... but I'm NOT fat enough for the double seat deal??!"

I look forward to the ensuing few months... especially when flights are full for holiday travel. Get the popcorn ready for this shit show!

10 hours ago, StoleIt said:

Jet Bridge Jesus strikes again!

jetway-jesus.jpg.45751b42b731ba27a769f02a3f3aea6c.jpg

Edited by Lord Ratner
  • Haha 3

Since the TSP revamped the website not too long ago, there is only one way. Any reference to paper forms is old gouge.

On the website home page: click "more" on the menu ribbon, then click "withdrawals and rollovers out" then go from there as it's fairly self-explanatory. There is no agent who will do (or can do) anything for you except step you thru the website. Your receiving agent can do nothing.

TSP needs you to supply the account number and the address of where to send the check. Example of Fidelity IRA (found on Fidelity website):

Fidelity ATTN Direct Rollovers

PO BOX 770001

Cincinnati OH 45277-0037

Edited by Chida
addl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, FUSEPLUG said:

I get the feeling there will be a certain ilk of people with zero shame who will take advantage of this like those pre-boarding in a wheelchair.  But in the end, it's a lot harder to fake being fat than it is being disabled.  

Having recently pushed a family member in a wheelchair at multiday distant wedding and through the airport on each end of the trip it is hardly worth the effort for the privilege of pre-boarding at least for me. Said family member (80 plus Y/O) can walk/stand okay if the distance/time is short but gets winded very easily. That said I think the only way to truly avoid the stink eye is to be an obvious amputee.

15 hours ago, slc said:

Reminds me of the Walle movie.... classic

download.jpg

There should be a weigh in like for professional fights.   Everyone gets to watch and cheer as you qualify for the discount double seat.  

They should also feed those fat bastards a few meals at no cost.  

Everyone else has to pay extra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The seatbelt extender should be the go/no-go for having to pay for an extra seat to be empty.  And if that will cause someone to get bumped, it should be the person that is too fat to fit their backside in a normal seat.

Our society has become a parody of itself.  In the 80s and 90s quest to give kids self esteem, we forgot that what people need more than self esteem is shame.  Shame has kept societies functioning far better than self esteem ever could.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Smokin said:

The seatbelt extender should be the go/no-go for having to pay for an extra seat to be empty.  And if that will cause someone to get bumped, it should be the person that is too fat to fit their backside in a normal seat.

Our society has become a parody of itself.  In the 80s and 90s quest to give kids self esteem, we forgot that what people need more than self esteem is shame.  Shame has kept societies functioning far better than self esteem ever could.

They might get an extra seat for free, but are much more likely to not live as long and/or have the same quality of life as those who are not obese.

What I find hilarious is how the “everyone is a victim” crowd says it’s not their fault for being obese, it’s hereditary, on medication, blah blah blah.  Take a look at obesity rates from 50+ years ago…how much did generics change in that amount of time?  Also, look at obesity rates overseas…how different are their genetics on the whole compared to ours?  In the end, it will just make it more expensive for the rest of us.  And if you think this is bad, wait until you find out another reason as to why our healthcare is so expensive.

On 12/14/2023 at 9:41 AM, HeloDude said:

What I find hilarious is how the “everyone is a victim” crowd says it’s not their fault for being obese, it’s hereditary, on medication, blah blah blah.  Take a look at obesity rates from 50+ years ago…how much did generics change in that amount of time?  Also, look at obesity rates overseas…how different are their genetics on the whole compared to ours?

Of course this has absolutely nothing to do with genetics. It's a simple energy conservation problem from Physics 101. Energy is neither created nor destroyed. Fats who want to convince me they're fat because of genetics are asking me to believe a conspiracy theory.

• Upvote 1