Radio etiquette

Guest rotorhead

Negative bro. Apples and oranges although shoes can't tell the difference. Radio comms can get people killed. Sunglasses on my head won't. People that can't tell the difference lack situational awareness.

People that get everything right except not shutting the f up annoy the crap out of me. I have to wonder if it is some disorder where the situation generates so much adrenaline they simply don't know what to do.

I was showing the good man that he was applying that age old chief sentiment many have used against us. Police your own.

Out

I tend to rant on interphone when I hear people say dumb shit on the radio - even did it when I was a CP. So one day the smartass I'm flying with chimed in with this:

"Ali Center Good morning, CHROME XX, checking in, level at flight level 200 at this time, with the flash."

My eyeballs started to bleed.

Good to hear there are heavy dudes that are annoyed by lengthy and ridiculous radio transmissions. Reading War and Peace on the radio is so f'ing terrible. I once flew with a T-1 crew out of Ft Worth Alliance that departed and flew on VHF (they were UHF equipped), when I asked them why, they told me they didn't want to step on airline traffic. F'ing unbelievable.

Good to hear there are heavy dudes that are annoyed by lengthy and ridiculous radio transmissions. Reading War and Peace on the radio is so f'ing terrible. I once flew with a T-1 crew out of Ft Worth Alliance that departed and flew on VHF (they were UHF equipped), when I asked them why, they told me they didn't want to step on airline traffic. F'ing unbelievable.

So, the better option is to step on airline traffic?

Yeah, what is wrong with VHF? Especially if 90% of the other traffic out there is using the same. Even when using UHF, we would try & pull up the associated VHF freq...not necessarily to prevent stepping on the airline bubbas, but more for the added SA of hearing everyone else out there.

Ouch motherfuckers. Never had a problem UHF vs VHF, I just like it a bit quieter on the radio, isn't that what you guys were saying? On top of that we (and most towers/ATC) have UHF, why not just it as primary? It could just be a single seat thing, cuts down on chatter.

Edited by matmacwc

Aside from launch and recovery, T-1s operate almost exclusively in civilian patterns. If you are in a civilian pattern and are NOT on VHF you are either A) an idiot or B) NORDO. I don't give a shit about stepping on people, but I like to hear as much radio traffic as I can, and if 99% of the airplanes around me are on VHF, so am I.

Huh?, This makes no sense. Go home, you're drunk.

Ouch mother######ers. Never had a problem UHF vs VHF, I just like it a bit quieter on the radio, isn't that what you guys were saying? On top of that we (and most towers/ATC) have UHF, why not just it as primary? It could just be a single seat thing, cuts down on chatter.

yeah exactly, i mean why would you want other traffic to know where you are right?

Ouch mother######ers. Never had a problem UHF vs VHF, I just like it a bit quieter on the radio, isn't that what you guys were saying? On top of that we (and most towers/ATC) have UHF, why not just it as primary? It could just be a single seat thing, cuts down on chatter.

Our 11-250 says that all UHF aircraft equipped will use UHF to the max extent possible. I seem to remember that being the case at a previous location as well.

yeah exactly, i mean why would you want other traffic to know where you are right?

Why bother when you can depend on ATC to deconflict for you? [/sarcasm]

Edited by HU&W

For some reason, us heavy guys are addicted to VHF. At the last red flag, it took 2-3 days to convince everyone else in the tanker group to use uniform at Nellis (and to also stop requesting engine start clearance, but I digress..). The freaking RJ guys used it the entire 3 weeks. Borderline dangerous to do so during the mass launch/recovery.

I have always operated under the unwritten rule that if you are at a military base, you talk on UHF and monitor VHF. If you are at a civil field or in the enroute structure you talk on VHF & monitor UHF. I though this was common knowledge.

• Upvote 2

I have always operated under the unwritten rule that if you are at a military base, you talk on UHF and monitor VHF. If you are at a civil field or in the enroute structure you talk on VHF & monitor UHF. I though this was common knowledge.

This is what we did in T-1s and in my limited experience in the 17. I too thought this was common knowledge at least that's the way it was conveyed to me.

I like to monitor VHF just to hear everyone else talk about how cool I look in the pattern and how cool I sound saying "tally" instead of "traffic in sight."

Winning.

What's this VHF you speak of?

My MWS has a limited VHF capability (but no antenna - thanks acquisitions).

Edited by billy pilgrim

And if you can't wear your uniform properly, how can you get flying right? You go, all-star.

Out

Yeah, because talking on the radio is completely unrelated to...talking on the radio.

Great analogy. Way to go.

Yeah, because talking on the radio is completely unrelated to...talking on the radio.

Great analogy. Way to go.

To better answer your question from before, learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. The honeyed words I speak on the radio are like crafting a beautiful painting for all to enjoy. I apologize if you've never gotten the chance to experience it firsthand.

I like to monitor VHF just to hear everyone else talk about how cool I look in the pattern and how cool I sound saying "tally" instead of "traffic in sight."

Winning.

Don't forget "Radar contact" when center gives you a point out.

Or even better "Targeted"

• Upvote 1