Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

"From the Inbox: "Col Albertsen micro managed the MXG staff incessantly. Under his leadership, he made the Mx Training Facility at Holloman work extra hours, implement redundant training courses, and would routinely insult commanders at the monthly training meeting (which were only required by AFI quarterly). He was stuck in the past and was the epitome of toxic leadership. Holloman had one of the highest mishaps /accidents rates in AETC if not the AF (that is documented). Finally, he was the type of leader who held down the throttle to "ludicrous speed" at all times. He even attempted to cancel min manning for Christmas two years in a row, even when the wing CC announced no flying. We are glad to see him fired."

45 minutes ago, M2 said:

"From the Inbox: "Col Albertsen micro managed the MXG staff incessantly. Under his leadership, he made the Mx Training Facility at Holloman work extra hours, implement redundant training courses, and would routinely insult commanders at the monthly training meeting (which were only required by AFI quarterly). He was stuck in the past and was the epitome of toxic leadership. Holloman had one of the highest mishaps /accidents rates in AETC if not the AF (that is documented). Finally, he was the type of leader who held down the throttle to "ludicrous speed" at all times. He even attempted to cancel min manning for Christmas two years in a row, even when the wing CC announced no flying. We are glad to see him fired."

If only there were some way of identifying toxic people before they are given command...

• 3 weeks later...

That’s quite the saga about a STS CC getting relieved and some GS civilians running amok with gym equipment and TDY’s and such. The STS CC aired all the dirty laundry about the whole thing and it was pretty unbelievable. Total lack of conflict resolution/leadership to get these people in line. Also, fear of the Union of the GS people. But her multiple exec tours and nonner roles look great on the bio so that’s what counts.

• Upvote 1

Entrenched civilians we're the biggest pains in the ass to deal with in my career.  Too many of them still quoting AFR 35-10 and CBPO.  For you young punks, that's AFI 36-2903 and MPF respectively.  There should be term limits for these guys as they as their contacts/references/etc... have a shelf life.

One of the worst I dealt with was a logistics dude (who will probably die in his job) at Spang when we redeployed through there in 2018ish.  Dude thought he carried the weight of the Base/CC (probably becuase the CC hated dealing with him and let him run amuck), and was one roadblock after another.    

8 hours ago, SocialD said:

...was one roadblock after another.    

One thing I never understood during my 20 years and 4 days on USAF active duty is why everyone on base wanted to make it harder to get shit done.    Outside of the flying and mx squadrons, most of the AF personnel didn't want to help get the mission done.  It always felt more like they (non combatants) wanted to make my day a little harder.  Instead of helping us get into the air, they wanted to let know that they wish they could help but they couldn't because they'd get in trouble or that it was somebody else's job.  Of course, that somebody else was always TDY or on leave.   

• Thanks 1

The incentive structure is off in non-ops-oriented units & work areas. They gain nothing from the mission going successfully or going at all. Hell, they may only be vaguely aware at best of what the mission of their installation even is. What inventive do they have to bend the rules, expedite, hell, even follow their own rules to ensure the mission gets done? Very little unfortunately.

Heck, I can say the same thing in some ways even for Ops. Too often your OPR / standing in the squadron just assumes everyone is relatively equally competent at the mission so, "Tell me what else you've done lately?"

Shop work and extraneous bullshit > flying prowess in most units in my experience, even some good ones.

Occasionally there's a no-shitter mission where things have to happen right or people die and then you get a small glimpse into who can actually fucking hack it and who, despite potentially being rated highly on paper, cannot.

Edited by nsplayr

1 hour ago, Biff_T said:

One thing I never understood during my 20 years and 4 days on USAF active duty is why everyone on base wanted to make it harder to get shit done.    Outside of the flying and mx squadrons, most of the AF personnel didn't want to help get the mission done.  It always felt more like they (non combatants) wanted to make my day a little harder.  Instead of helping us get into the air, they wanted to let know that they wish they could help but they couldn't because they'd get in trouble or that it was somebody else's job.  Of course, that somebody else was always TDY or on leave.   

I remember getting orders to deploy instead just of a normal TDY orders of just getting on the jet and go. You had to go different base agencies for two days to get signatures on a deployment checklist. Half the time the owners of these signatures were on leave, lunch , appointment etc. Some agencies were appointment only and the earliest was when your already in the AOR for a week. We got around it by signing the checklist ourselves one guy signing off finance, med, etc . We were a tenant unit so we had to deal with a home base AFMC that did not have war fighting posture so zero urgency to get anything done. We went through the deployment line just before we got on a MD-11 to somewhere and the AFMC troops had no idea the checklists were pencil whipped.

50 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

I remember getting orders to deploy instead just of a normal TDY orders of just getting on the jet and go. You had to go different base agencies for two days to get signatures on a deployment checklist. Half the time the owners of these signatures were on leave, lunch , appointment etc. Some agencies were appointment only and the earliest was when your already in the AOR for a week. We got around it by signing the checklist ourselves one guy signing off finance, med, etc . We were a tenant unit so we had to deal with a home base AFMC that did not have war fighting posture so zero urgency to get anything done. We went through the deployment line just before we got on a MD-11 to somewhere and the AFMC troops had no idea the checklists were pencil whipped.

Let me guess - Hill AFB?

On 4/21/2024 at 5:36 PM, nsplayr said:

Occasionally there's a no-shitter mission where things have to happen right or people die and then you get a small glimpse into who can actually fucking hack it and who, despite potentially being rated highly on paper, cannot.

When I was on a mission as the AC or FL, I made the decisions, not some dude 400 miles away.  

11 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

From the AP

Public records and an obituary posted by a Detroit Lakes funeral home show that Mitchell’s father, who died last month, and stepmother lived on the same block of the same road in Detroit Lakes as where the senator was arrested. The stepmother did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

I'm gonna withhold judgement on this one.  For now, at least, until more info comes out.

It sounds like this is a case of family members battling after a death.  If you've ever witnessed it, you know.  Reasonable people do unreasonable things when a death happens in the family.  Even more so if a step parent is involved.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Blue said:

From the AP

I'm gonna withhold judgement on this one.  For now, at least, until more info comes out.

It sounds like this is a case of family members battling after a death.  If you've ever witnessed it, you know.  Reasonable people do unreasonable things when a death happens in the family.  Even more so if a step parent is involved.

That was my thought too. 3 1/2 hours is a long way to go to randomly break into a house. 

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Going through this now with my in-laws. For the love of all that is holy, write out your will in excruciating detail and remove any family member from executing it. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Blue said:

From the AP

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

Going through this now with my in-laws. For the love of all that is holy, write out your will in excruciating detail and remove any family member from executing it. 

Better yet consider putting what you have in a trust. My .69

6 hours ago, dream big said:

I’ve noticed this as well, many moderately political hot women I knew got much uglier the more outspokenly liberal and progressive they get. Weird.

It's definitely a real phenomenon.  All I can think is that being constantly angry and offended eventually manifests itself physically.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1