War with Iran and your career

Papa Herk

LOL. Who do you think would be running Iran? There'll be no beers for the first few days of this one. I'll be one of the first to volunteer though. It would give me a really good reason to tell some sock checking chief to fvck off!

Sorry, I should have more clearly stated-- our CURRENT bullshit CENTCOM operation. I fully understand going toe to toe with the Ayatollah will be a CENTCOM war; however, the shoes would go back to being no factor once there was real combat ops going on. They're like cockroaches. When the light is on (combat) they're nowhere to be seen, but when the light is off they come out of the fucking woodwork.

Marines think?

And I don't know anyone who has yet bitched out when asked to fight in the last decade. If guys leave after honorable combat service, I say thank you, and I wish them success at whatever is next.

What he said! On both statements. Marines think (relative term) anyone who isn't a Marine are pussies...who really gives a fuck what Marines think?

Personally, I would want to be there night one. But I'm not going to shit on a guy, if he has served honorably and just doesn't want to deal with another 10 years of deployments that don't seem to solve anything.

Edited by SocialD

... the shoes would go back to being no factor once there was real combat ops going on. They're like cockroaches. When the light is on (combat) they're nowhere to be seen, but when the light is off they come out of the fucking woodwork.

Add to that, our current "undisclosed location" in the middle east is within scud range. I could see an evacuation of "non-essential" personnel very early in any hostilities. Then, its MOP3 and the 3 beer a day cards go away.

Edited by SuperWSO

Add to that, our current "undisclosed location" in the middle east is within scud range. I could see an evacuation of "non-essential" personnel very early in any hostilities. Then, its MOP3 and the 3 beer a day cards go away.

Probably MOPP 2 and beer cards go away before the evacuation happens...but yeah.

<creates Powerpoint presentation>

Marines think (relative term) anyone who isn't a Marine are pussies...who really gives a ###### what Marines think?

Not true. But anyone who wants to be in a gun squadron for a career but doesn't want to go to war is. We are paid to kill people and break things. If you don't want to go do that when our civilian leadership decides that some killin' and breakin' is in order then you need to leave the gun club (or at least go find a non deployable job)- combat vet or not.

This isn't to say I don't respect a guy who says," I've done my time, I'm out." Indeed I do respect them much, and if they decide they don't want to go on that's perfectly fine.

This is not to debate the merits and/or lack of merits, of a possible war with Iran. If we get drawn into another war this fall, with Afghanistan still ongoing, is it worth it to you to keep pushing toward the 20 year mark in your career, or would you pull chalks?

If it meant I will have the opportunity to actually help employ my herc in combat instead of being voluntold to plan parties and ceremonies because it will "look good on my OPR" then I would absolutely stay in.

Iran might be the only thing that prevents a bunch of us from getting RIFed. Once we are finally out of Afghanistan, the drawdowns of the last few years will look like a cakewalk.

I believe that the phrase you are searching for is "Peace Dividend".

Part Deux.

The likelihood of an AFRC KC-10 boom operator being involved in night one is pretty damn slim (unless already in-place at camp cupcake at kickoff time)... but you're fuckin-A right I'd be there. Why else would I continue to put up with the AD-lite asspain that AFRC is rapidly becoming?

The likelihood of an AFRC KC-10 boom operator being involved in night one is pretty damn slim (unless already in-place at camp cupcake at kickoff time)... but you're ######in-A right I'd be there. Why else would I continue to put up with the AD-lite asspain that AFRC is rapidly becoming?

Some of the new Pilots and Booms in the new AFRC unit that stood up along KC-135 FTU were astonished that we could drink beer at work, had a bar, had multiple kegerators. Apparently a lot of AFRC units are trying to be more Active Duty than Active Duty themselves.

The downside will be the now-inevitable "rebuilding" process after we quickly destroy their our military."

FIFY and we don't even need to involve another nation. We are hard at work destroying the USAF from the inside right now.

So (to the original poster), do you really see us getting 'drawn' into a war with Iran? Short of Iran attacking Israel, I don't see much that would make us get into a real 'war' with Iran (unless they attack one our bases in the region, and I just don't see that happening). I think that a majority of this country has learned the lesson from Iraq, at least for the next several years.

As for Iran getting nukes, nothing will be done about it from the US. Iran will just be another country that has them, along with Pakistan and North Korea.

By the way--who really wants to go to war with Iran?

As for Iran getting nukes, nothing will be done about it from the US. Iran will just be another country that has them, along with Pakistan and North Korea.

From the US? No. From Israel? Yes.

Israel isn't just going to sit there and let Iran, a country that is much more hostile toward them then Syria or Iraq ever was, get a nuke.

And while N Korea and Pakistan can be a bit off, they are nowhere near as likely to actually use (or purposely lose) a nuke as Iran is.

So (to the original poster), do you really see us getting 'drawn' into a war with Iran? Short of Iran attacking Israel, I don't see much that would make us get into a real 'war' with Iran (unless they attack one our bases in the region, and I just don't see that happening). I think that a majority of this country has learned the lesson from Iraq, at least for the next several years.

By the way--who really wants to go to war with Iran?

The problem is, if Israel strikes Iran, we're likely to be targets in Iran's retaliation.

Thanks for the history lesson dude <sarcasm>...I still don't see it happening. But, for sake of the argument, let's say that it does happen--would Iran just sit there and take it? Situation is much different than in the early 80's.

No. That's the problem. Israel strikes, Iran (suicidally) flexes in the straits, and we get drawn into a war we really don't want to be in. The best thing for everyone would be for Iran's entire cadre of nuclear scientists to meet tragic and untimely ends. Hmmmmm.

By getting "drawn" into a war with Iran, I simply meant that I don't think our current administration has the nerve or determination to go into a strike with Israel. No way that our administration would launch a unilateral strike on their own, so by default if Israel attacks Iran, and then Iran launches Scuds at US bases in the Middle East, we'll get "drawn" into the war. It seems that Netanyahu, according to reports, will attack prior to the November elections if he does indeed decide to strike.

I know nearly every one of us would rather be doing the mission than training around the flagpole for massive airdrops in the next Normandy invasion. That is, unless the dudes in Washington let sequestration happen, and then we'll all be at the VFW in January talking about the good ole days when we had jobs and flew actual aircraft during OIF.

• Upvote 1