Latest Movies

B*D*A

17 hours ago, uhhello said:

It was terrible.  come on man.  doesn't matter who made it.  

It was entertaining.  Kinda like WWF.  My opinion.    

Edit:  I was pretty fucked up when I watched it. 

Edited by Biff_T
Afterthought

I’m a little surprised about Masters of the Air as well.  The cheap looking CGI is distracting, especially the scenes where it looks like the Me-109’s are doing Mach 3 and there are 100 of them for every B-17. Also the fact that the B-17’s are  totally shot up, leaking fuel and on fire yet they still fly 3 more hours to their base. A little too Hollywood. 

And I’m pretty sure  the formation  leaders knew what the contrail level was so you couldn’t see the formations 100 miles away?

Edited by Vito

15 hours ago, Vito said:

I’m a little surprised about Masters of the Air as well.  The cheap looking CGI is distracting, especially the scenes where it looks like the Me-109’s are doing Mach 3 and there are 100 of them for every B-17. Also the fact that the B-17’s are  totally shot up, leaking fuel and on fire yet they still fly 3 more hours to their base. A little too Hollywood. 

And I’m pretty sure  the formation  leaders knew what the contrail level was so you couldn’t see the formations 100 miles away?

I haven’t watched it, and I’m certain Hollywood goes over the top, but leaking, tattered, and burning US bombers limping home was a daily occurrence, as were contrails. Read “Black Thursday” sometime, 291 B-17’s launched on Schweinfurt, 60 shot down and 17 returned and had to be scrapped due to damage.

IMG_4752.jpeg

IMG_4753.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I totally get what you mean about the CGI in "Masters of the Air." Sometimes, it can be a bit jarring when it takes away from the authenticity of the story.

It reminds me of a time when I watched a war movie, and the special effects were so over-the-top that it pulled me out of the experience. I appreciate the effort to make things visually exciting, but it's crucial to strike the right balance.
And you know what? If you're interested in war films and historical accuracy, it might be worth checking out the 2023 movies out now in theaters. You might come across a gem that not only captures the intensity of those wartime moments but also immerses you in a compelling narrative.

Edited by matildashapes

O Face,

By the Battle of the Bulge we had air superiority and the contrail level wasn’t as big a factor. Similarly we didn’t camouflage our aircraft after 44 because we had air superiority. But Masters of the Air occurs around fall of 43 and they did try to ascertain the contrail level to avoid early detection etc. 

Edited by Vito
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:25 PM, Vito said:

O Face,

By the Battle of the Bulge we had air superiority and the contrail level wasn’t as big a factor. Similarly we didn’t camouflage our aircraft after 44 because we had air superiority. But Masters of the Air occurs around fall of 43 and they did try to ascertain the contrail level to avoid early detection etc. 

I was just trying to find you a picture.  As you know, air superiority is a tough one to define.  Hell, even when Goering surrendered, in May  1945, and they squeezed his huge ass into the back of an L-5 the US pilot was worried he’d get jumped by 109’s on the flight.  Certainly Luftwaffe effectiveness greatly decreased, but reaching the magic number of sorties, which changed many times over the course of the war, to get a ticket home was never very high percentage. (42-early 44 it was damn near mathematically impossible) The bomber boxes were flown at the higher altitudes largely to lessen the effectiveness of the German ADA. The German radar was able to track our bombers as they formed up over England. They were rarely surprised by the heavy bomber formations.  I’m not saying nobody ever discussed contrails, but you can find plenty of pictures of contrails in 1943.  Grandpa took some amazing pics of flak and the bomber formations in 43-44 from the top turret. Lots of contrails!  Let’s just agree that saving American lives and planes, wasn’t the bomber mafia’s greatest priority, or else we would’ve been bombing at night with the Brits. If you’re not a big reader, I highly recommend a visit to the 8th AF museum in Savannah, if you’re ever around those parts, it’s fantastic.  Also, I mentioned it before on here somewhere, but if you want to watch an incredible documentary that was made at the time please check this one out…  IMG_4772.thumb.jpeg.8f84ce100e45bb4e058589080f08291d.jpeg

Edited by O Face

O face,

Thanks for the recommendations, I have watched the “Cold Blue” great documentary, plus I drive past the 8th Air Force Museum every year on my way to Florida. It’s on my bucket list to visit. 

The 8th AF museum is ok, but in reality it has a whopping 5 aircraft.  A must visit is the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles or the SAC museum near Omaha.  You could fit over a dozen 8th AF museums in either of those museums.

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2024 at 10:32 PM, CaptainMorgan said:

Just watched House of Bad. They couldn’t have picked a more fitting name. If you made a drinking game out of the Air Force inaccuracies, even Biff T’s liver would fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Land? of bad………possibly?

18 hours ago, Smokin said:

The 8th AF museum is ok, but in reality it has a whopping 5 aircraft.  A must visit is the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles or the SAC museum near Omaha.  You could fit over a dozen 8th AF museums in either of those museums.

Concur.  Been to the 8AF museum years ago as I grew up just south of there in Jacksonville.  While it's worth a stop, I don't see making a special trip to do so.

The SAC Museum is really cool, I got a chance to visit it the last time I was at Offutt in late 2021.  Definitely worth the time and effort.

But the best is the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson.  Simply an awesome collection of planes, and the 390th Bomb Group Museum was a bonus as I visited Framlingham toward the end of my UK tour back in 1984!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Dune Part 2.

Fantastic. Up there with Blade Runner 2. Warning: I did feel the plot was as complex as Zandaya's hairline, so some foreknowledge of the story is needed. Such a welcome reprieve from the cute snarky pop-culture sci-fi wokefest Star Wars has become.

12 hours ago, gearhog said:

Dune Part 2.

Fantastic. Up there with Blade Runner 2. Warning: I did feel the plot was as complex as Zandaya's hairline, so some foreknowledge of the story is needed. Such a welcome reprieve from the cute snarky pop-culture sci-fi wokefest Star Wars has become.

Amazing what happens when you have a director who respects and adores the source material.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just watched Dune Part 2, phenomenal movie, honestly think it might be better than the first.

That’s a must see in theatre after watching it last night.

It will still be amazing on whatever screen, but the raw awesome of the worm riding scene was way improved by the size and sound of a theatre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bill Whittle, yet again, crushing it with a new Video Documentory/History series on the USSR. It’s called “An Empire of Terror”. First episode (just over an hour in length) is now available on the Daily Wire, it.s found under the “What We Saw” link. If you have access, I’d recommend all of his series (Daily Wire or BillWhittle.com). They are well researched and documented histories (“The Cold War; What We Saw”, “Apollo 11; What We Saw, and now “An empire of terror”).

Edited by bfargin
  • Upvote 1

Another bump to encourage watching "What We Saw". Here's Mike Rowe (dirty jobs) talking with Bill Whittle about the series mentioned above. This should get you primed and excited to watch the series as well as the earlier ones too (Apollo 11 and Cold War).