Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Clark Griswold

The Iran thread

Recommended Posts

I believe this explains everything when it comes to the Navy and this unfortunate situation:

 

Iran GH.JPG

  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 5:14 PM, 17D_guy said:

I’m not sure why we’d mitigate their ability to launch missiles right now.  Save that action for a war/real operation that could save US lives....

 

wasted tech, if you ask me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bennynova said:

I’m not sure why we’d mitigate their ability to launch missiles right now.  Save that action for a war/real operation that could save US lives....

 

wasted tech, if you ask me

https://www.rt.com/news/462533-iran-cyber-attack-unsuccessful/

Iran says they foiled it.  If true, then better to find out now that it wouldn't have worked when it really counted.

Edited by Slick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0AC8BD2B-C995-4404-B711-DF1B8FF95C17.jpeg.10c1bf548e4a6042b74c4a636b106386.jpeg

Maybe they worked, maybe they didn't, but I wouldn't expect anything else from RT.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, McJay Pilot said:

When you load up the tapes, you just have to plug this in first. 

460E49CD-E20C-46BE-9196-696BBC602257.jpeg.6521171624909b530e3d27f3827f3cda.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Escalating quickly with the UK now. I still can't get inside the heads of foreign leaders who want to piss of the big guys like this. They're like chihuahuas around Labs and any other larger breed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Escalating quickly with the UK now. I still can't get inside the heads of foreign leaders who want to piss of the big guys like this. They're like chihuahuas around Labs and any other larger breed.
Because they think they can win in the long term. Sure, we can cause them a lot of pain in the near term, but short of conquering and occupying Iran, they probably feel they can retain power over whatever is left after we're too tired to keep fighting. Basically like the Taliban in Afghanistan-we can't stay forever, and they know that.

Plus it gives them negotiating capital for easing sanctions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, waveshaper said:

 

Good thing they sent the A-team.  Nothing like a go around to keep up the element of "surprise".  Hover about 20 feet too high.  Team roping onto each other.  

Can't believe they keep poking the bears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Iranians are now Somali pirates with helos?

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if it has to start, might as well get started by the Brits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McJay Pilot said:

Welp... shit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1054561

This is kinda how Red Storm Rising kicked off. Maybe we’ll get that movie after all!

Except the Saudi’s have consistently shown themselves to be one of the most incompetent fighting forces in the history of warfare (billions of dollars in some of the best US military hardware hasn’t doesn’t mean anything when you’re unwilling to maintain it or learn how to employ it effectively).  They’re not gonna go after Iran on their own, they’re barely holding their own against the Houthis.

  I’d highly encourage anyone interested in what’s unfolding in the Gulf right now to read Andrew Bacevich’s America’s War for the Greater Middle East.  It’s a fairly depressing read; there’s a lot of historical parallels going on right now (understanding that it’s not direct ie history doesn’t repeat itself but it does rhyme).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Except the Saudi’s have consistently shown themselves to be one of the most incompetent fighting forces in the history of warfare (billions of dollars in some of the best US military hardware hasn’t doesn’t mean anything when you’re unwilling to maintain it or learn how to employ it effectively).  They’re not gonna go after Iran on their own, they’re barely holding their own against the Houthis.

  I’d highly encourage anyone interested in what’s unfolding in the Gulf right now to read Andrew Bacevich’s America’s War for the Greater Middle East.  It’s a fairly depressing read; there’s a lot of historical parallels going on right now (understanding that it’s not direct ie history doesn’t repeat itself but it does rhyme).

Mind pointing out a few of the parallels to some of us who find this interesting but are too lazy to get to deep into it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

  I’d highly encourage anyone interested in what’s unfolding in the Gulf right now to read Andrew Bacevich’s America’s War for the Greater Middle East.  It’s a fairly depressing read; there’s a lot of historical parallels going on right now (understanding that it’s not direct ie history doesn’t repeat itself but it does rhyme).

Everything Bacevich has written should be required reading.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LJDRVR said:

Everything Bacevich has written should be required reading.

Maybe for all you anti-Trumpers. TL;DR version of Bacevich's views: Obama's approach to Iran was great. Trump is a disaster. 

Edited by pilot
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pilot said:

Maybe for all you anti-Trumpers. TL;DR version of Bacevich's views: Obama's approach to Iran was great. Trump is a disaster. 

That’s too bad. I hate it when people take the time to write about an otherwise interesting subject and completely politicize it. Everyone is pushing an agenda these days and it’s exhausting. Guess it belongs in the pile of “good kindling” as a fire starter for my fire pit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

That’s too bad. I hate it when people take the time to write about an otherwise interesting subject and completely politicize it. Everyone is pushing an agenda these days and it’s exhausting. Guess it belongs in the pile of “good kindling” as a fire starter for my fire pit...

FWIW Andrew Bacevich is a self-described conservative with a view of US foreign policy that is deeply skeptical that military power is an all-purpose salve that it's often used as. This has put him at odds at times with the current President as well as both of his predecessors. He's also a retired Army Colonel who served in Vietnam who earned a PhD from Princeton and lost a son to combat in Iraq.

All this to say: read him for yourself and figure out if you agree or disagree with his thoughts. I don't count myself in the camp that agrees with him reflexively, but I respect his thinking enough to at least read his writing on occasion. My recommendation is to start here, published in 2008.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say, Europe, Japan, et al, we, the US are net exporters of oil/energy now.  Other than the principal of freedom of navigation, the Straits are not nearly as important to us now as they are to you.

We'll put a few Patriot batteries in Saudi Arabia, y'all got the rest.  If it's important to you, you'll step up.  We can be fine "leading from behind" on this one.

The economic squeeze we are applying to the Mullahs and all the apparatus that relies on them for their cheap gas, pensions, etc, is working just fine.

Sure beats us sending gazillions of dollars to Tehran via clandestine cargo planes any day.

Edited by brickhistory
spelling
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, pilot said:

Maybe for all you anti-Trumpers. TL;DR version of Bacevich's views: Obama's approach to Iran was great. Trump is a disaster. 

Bacevich fought in combat in Vietnam. He retired as an infantry Colonel. His son was killed in Afghanistan. Colonel Bacevich teaches history at Boston College, is devoutly Catholic and a conservative.

He's wrote several well-reasoned books that do a pretty good job explaining the dangers of continued American misconduct abroad.

You're the only one I see bringing up politics and Trump here.

 

Edited by LJDRVR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Say, Europe, Japan, et al, we, the US are net exporters of oil/energy now.  Other than the principal of freedom of navigation, the Straits are not nearly as important to us now as they are to you.

We'll put a few Patriot batteries in Saudi Arabia, y'all got the rest.  If it's important to you, you'll step up.  We can be fine "leading from behind" on this one.

The economic squeeze we are applying to the Mullahs and all the apparatus that relies on them for their cheap gas, pensions, etc, is working just fine.

Sure beats us sending gazillions of dollars to Tehran via clandestine cargo planes any day.

Sounds good in theory, but oil is a global market.  Supply goes down, price goes up... Regardless of where in the world the oil is extracted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...