Recruiting Crisis: 9% want to serve

gearhog

9 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

my ANG base... a tanker base out of all places, no more morale shirts. Some damn first shirt at the wing level complaint and now it's a big no-no. So f@#$ those guys I am wear a scarf as a big F you to these NONers. 

Unreal…Sure hate to hear that. 

On 8/16/2023 at 12:48 PM, Danger41 said:

The updated uniform reg stated that only coyote brown undershirts will be worn and got rid of the colored morale shirt. I legitimately think most people either didn’t read it or don’t care because I’ve seen zero change. Which is good.

I still maintain that the way it reads, you only need a coyote shirt if you’re going to have undershirts with logos on them. Otherwise all colors are good.

I’m a dirty sea lawyer and unfortunately my reasoning didn’t convince the vice. 

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:48 PM, Danger41 said:

The updated uniform reg stated that only coyote brown undershirts will be worn and got rid of the colored morale shirt. I legitimately think most people either didn’t read it or don’t care because I’ve seen zero change. Which is good.

Oh ok, so it's not some recent memo.  That came out when I was still in the SQ/CC seat, I remember reading that e-mail with the updates, then deleting it.  Nothing good would have come from nixing squadron colored morale shirts, so we never stopped wearing them.  Helps when you have an OG/CC and a WG/CC with a spine.  

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 1:50 PM, CharlieHotel47 said:

my ANG base... a tanker base out of all places, no more morale shirts. Some damn first shirt at the wing level complaint and now it's a big no-no. So f@#$ those guys I am wear a scarf as a big F you to these NONers. 

Theoretically…what is a first sergeant gonna do if all the pilots/booms in the squadron choose to ignore their complaint and wear morale shirts anyway?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

Theoretically…what is a first sergeant gonna do if all the pilots/booms in the squadron choose to ignore their complaint and wear morale shirts anyway?

As with all Shirt/Chief/E-9 issues, it depends on their O-5 through O-10 because that's their next stop if they see non-compliance. All problems with the aforementioned group are really problems with their officer boss allowing them to run roughshod over the Sq/Gp/Wg/HHQ.

Edited by nunya

If line flyers aren’t pressing to test at every opportunity they are getting what they deserve. If your leadership is like some of the “repect my authorati” types on here, I’d wear a dif colored one every day just to piss them off. As an experienced Capt excellent at the mission, we had a pretty good layer of Teflon during my time in SAC, and I’d expect competent aviators still have some today.

Just make morale shirt dickies lol.  

Just a collar and a few inches (sts) exposed for the viewing pleasure if others.

download(10).jpeg.5ed604cb00535cff2f9cded1bc74da90.jpeg

Edited by Biff_T
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

"Currently, the active duty is projected to miss [its] goal by about 10%," Leslie Brown, a spokeswoman for the Air Force Recruiting Service, said. "We are cautiously optimistic though as we head into FY24. We've seen some positive trends such as the positive growth of our DEP [delayed-entry program], which is double what it was this time last year. It's still lower than we want it to be, but we are continuing to see increases."

Like the Air Force, the Army and Navy will also likely miss their recruitment goals for 2023, with the Army expected to post the largest deficit at a time when the armed services have been trying to beef up their numbers. Last year, the Army was 15,000 soldiers shy of its 60,000 enlistment goal. This year, it's only reached 40% of its target.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/foreign/air-force-misses-recruitment-goals-china

Hundreds of Airmen Stuck Waiting To Start Pilot Training As Shortage Persists

...As of Aug. 25, more than 900 Airmen are waiting to enter the pilot training pipeline, according to 19th Air Force data. Roughly a quarter have been waiting less than three months, but most are between three and nine months. Another quarter—around 220 people—have been stuck even longer...

...In fiscal 2022, the Air Force produced 1,276 pilots. In 2023, that number increased slightly to around 1,350, but still short of the goal of 1,470. With demand from commercial airlines strong, the need for new pilots to replace those leaving the service is persistent. The 19th Air Force’s goal will be 1,500 new pilots in fiscal 2024, a spokesperson said...

...Quinn said the overall pilot shortage remains at around 2,000, roughly the number it has been for the last several years. Vice Chief of Staff Gen. David W. Allvin previously told Congress that the Air Force has taken steps to ensure the shortfall doesn’t mean aircraft aren’t flying...  

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/airmen-waiting-pilot-training-shortage/

So I'm not great at math but, maybe they should try retaining people rather than producing people. Because, it seems like that COA isn't working...and, in recent memory, has never worked.

7 hours ago, di1630 said:

In actuality, the usaf probably doesn’t need as many pilots as it thinks it does.

We are stuck in an outdated model. Fighters especially just aren’t probably as necessary today as a few years back.

We have better, cheaper options.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Go with source, study, or evidence to back up your conjecture that fighters are less important.

I would concede that you could make a case we didn’t need fighters from 2001-2021, but how exactly do you do implement doctrinal concepts of “air superiority” or “air supremacy” against peer threats in 2027 or 2035?

Edited by Banzai
  • Downvote 1

I can safely say the statement about the diminished need of fighters is not remotely accurate. As I’ve said before, the last fighter pilot hasn’t been born. Will fighter aviation continue to change, of course,  but decrease in necessity/relevancy, nope.

I’ll take a stab at the “doctrinal” concept of air superiority/strategy as related to fighters. Using China as an example, long range precision fires, maritime interdiction of supplies, and non-kinetics will play more of a role in achieving the AF’s #1 doctrinal priority than a 4-ship of Raptors on a Banzai flow. Admittedly, in a tactical sense of traditional strike packaging, you need to have the OCA players out front steamrolling the lane, but to think only fighters have a role to play in air superiority is incorrect.

• Upvote 1

He’s absolutely correct - there are lots of non-fighter capabilities that are part of Counterair ops. For clarity if needed, my comment about the incorrect statement about diminishing fighter needs is not a statement that we don’t need, or won’t use, a host of widely different capabilities in concert to achieve our desired effects. 

Also back to the point of the thread - it’s clear production is not the solution, retaining is. The AF doesn’t need more than 1k pilots produced per year, they need to stop hemorrhaging dudes with experience. 

Edited by brabus

Haha, I knew I’d get a few riled up here. Brabus is correct, the last fighter pilot hasn’t been born. That doesn’t mean that last fighter pilot will be as relevant and necessary as they once were.

There is a reason raptors are retiring in 10 yrs, NGAD will be procured small in numbers and the F-35 but will be cut drastically from original #’s and it has to do with things like hypersonic artillary and new tech that does the job of the fighter cheaper/better/with less risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, di1630 said:

There is a reason raptors are retiring in 10 yrs, NGAD will be procured small in numbers and the F-35 but will be cut drastically from original #’s...

I'd argue that is more due to our acquisitions process being completely fubar, contracting not realizing how Lockmart/Boeing etc are going to bend them over with the loopholes, and those companies abusing said loopholes.

It’s really hard to jam/hack/interdict a bullet or a dumb bomb delivered by a well trained thinking human being. 

lemme know when the egg heads crack that nut 

Other than hogs, does any fighter community even train to those skills anymore?

I get it and I knew my post would rile people up.

Try telling an ex viper pilot that their BFM foundation was for nothing or a hog guy that they’ll never get close enough to use their 30MM or better, call the F-22 a legacy platform for some good responses.

Not debating fighters will be around a long time. Just that their role will diminish as better/cheaper/safer options are fielded.

And they are being fielded.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, di1630 said:

Just that their role will diminish as better/cheaper/safer options are fielded.

It will not diminish, it will change. Those are different things…words matter. “Better/cheaper/safer being fielded”…dude, you don’t know what you don’t know. Not a spear, but a reality check.

Bottom line, cool shit is always developed and changes warfare, but nothing coming is decreasing pilot importance in the future, it will simply change how we do things. Historically you could compare this to WW2 having tons of aces and we’ve got zero actively flying today - that doesn’t mean fighters diminished in relevancy, it means things changed how we used them in concert with other tech. Buffs aren’t carpet bombing the fuck out of things like Nam, but they’re still relevant and important today…things change, but relevancy hasn’t decreased.

As a reminder to everyone (including myself), this is about the end of this topic’s discussability on the internet. Don’t fuck it away.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, brabus said:

Historically you could compare this to WW2 having tons of aces and we’ve got zero actively flying today - that doesn’t mean fighters diminished in relevancy, it means things changed how we used them in concert with other tech. Buffs aren’t carpet bombing the fuck out of things like Nam, but they’re still relevant and important today…things change, but relevancy hasn’t decreased.

That sounds... diminished.

Why doesn't the bomber Mafia run the AF anymore?

Edited by Lord Ratner
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/14/2023 at 7:02 AM, brabus said:

the last fighter pilot hasn’t been born.

6478b197d17bf.image.thumb.jpg.052d48102c8c93cdb8e2121769128c2a.jpg

• Haha 1