Army aviators get kicked in the nads

ClearedHot

40 minutes ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

We have a company man over here...

Stop feeding the troll.  Go back and look up Chang's post history...there's a reason my principle is to downvote every post from that account.

To your main point, sounds like a perfect shit-storm...can't recruit, can't retain.

Just now, BashiChuni said:

chang is not a troll he's a well placed flag officer...

This! You may not like his opinions but Chang knows the most contemporary movement at the HAF level. You should listen to everything he says like gospel! 

Edited by FLEA
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FLEA said:

This! You may not like his opinions but Chang knows the most contemporary movement at the HAF level. You should listen to everything he says like gospel! 

How is that? (Even if you are being sarcastic)  Does HAF know its own movements?

And don't most General's have their execs manage their social media because they must groom future self eating ice cream cones, so Chang is likely an Exec instead...?

12 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

so Chang is likely an Exec instead...?

Not anymore.  He's clearly graduated.  Why do you think he was silent so long.  Execs aren't allowed on their own social media.

slight tangent, how do Army aviation commissioned Os not know theirs is a route devoid of flying? Even in an AF centric forum like this, it's readily known you go warrant if your interest is in gaining civilian-career advancing and steady rotor time. WO is a paycut for sure, but even these days it's no hindrance of consequence even for rotor guys to eventually make it to 121 or 91k.

4 hours ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

I guess I was at the right place and time because they are now forcing dudes to sign a 10-year contract out of Rucker when it used to be 6.

So for a new soldier starting flight training at Rucker, it’s now a 10-year commitment?  For both WOs and Os?  When did this change?

3 hours ago, Swizzle said:

How is that? (Even if you are being sarcastic)  Does HAF know its own movements?

And don't most General's have their execs manage their social media because they must groom future self eating ice cream cones, so Chang is likely an Exec instead...?

Oh no..... he's definitely in the know. Trust me....

[mention=2884]SocialD[/mention] I know two people who “retired,” and months later were told, “sorry, we messed up when we thought 2+3=7, so you still owe 2 more months of duty to retire. See you on Sat for drill! Oh, and you’re also overdue for a PT test, plus you might as well expect a piss test too”
It's really sad how inept these personnelists are. When I applied for retirement they denied it (months after applying and already using up a ton of saved leave with my replacement in the seat) saying I was short by over a year. I sent them back their own audit plus my calculations doing all their work for them and they realized their up. Retirement order generated that day as someone with half a brain realized the extent of their error.

@WTFAF As I’ll continue to say, if we were as bad at our jobs as they are at theirs, there’d be about 5 pilots over 25 yo still alive, and the Euro “air show-only” air forces would look like rockstar tacticians compared to us.

Thank God we actually give a fuck about succeeding and not being miserable failures. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HeloDude said:

So for a new soldier starting flight training at Rucker, it’s now a 10-year commitment?  For both WOs and Os?  When did this change?

FY21. Apparently they're not having too much trouble filling slots on the production side as there's always a ton of prior enlisted that want to fly and would be going to 20 anyway after a few years enlisted. There was a lot of youth in their last 2 mid-airs. "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong."

• Upvote 1

FY21. Apparently they're not having too much trouble filling slots on the production side as there's always a ton of prior enlisted that want to fly and would be going to 20 anyway after a few years enlisted. There was a lot of youth in their last 2 mid-airs. "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong."

It’s a damn shame to be pushing these young aviators to be flight leads at 500 hrs with a young co/pi fresh out of Rucker while flying Red illumination NVGs training missions. Damn dangerous shit

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

slight tangent, how do Army aviation commissioned Os not know theirs is a route devoid of flying? Even in an AF centric forum like this, it's readily known you go warrant if your interest is in gaining civilian-career advancing and steady rotor time. WO is a paycut for sure, but even these days it's no hindrance of consequence even for rotor guys to eventually make it to 121 or 91k.

You can’t go WO after graduating from ROTC or West Point. The guys that track aviation out of those sources know their days flying are numbered from the get go. 

You can’t go WO after graduating from ROTC or West Point. The guys that track aviation out of those sources know their days flying are numbered from the get go. 

That isn’t exactly true… there is a process to it but it’s ridiculously weird and complex.

Oh also we routinely see months long gaps in getting paid for our RLOs that revert to Warrant. One in my office was literally getting 0.00 LESs for 6 months before the issue was resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/3/2023 at 3:09 PM, kona4breakfast said:

Filling slots is not usually the problem…the Air Force hasn’t run out of qualified people who want to become pilots.  The retention is where the failure is.  If Air Force pilots will separate at 15-16 years to go airlines, then I’m sure the Army pilots will do the same.

7 hours ago, Lawman said:

That isn’t exactly true… there is a process to it but it’s ridiculously weird and complex.

Oh also we routinely see months long gaps in getting paid for our RLOs that revert to Warrant. One in my office was literally getting 0.00 LESs for 6 months before the issue was resolved.

You are right. I actually looked at crossing over to WO prior to switching to the AF, I would’ve gone from O-4 to W-1, accelerated promote to W-2. It is possible but like you said it’s a complex process.  

Edited by Bigred

You are right. I actually looked at crossing over to WO prior to switching to the AF, I would’ve gone from O-4 to W-1, accelerated promote to W-2. It is possible but like you said it’s a complex process.  

The only place it’s really “common” is in ARSOA.

Even then it’s really weird that the battalion XO is suddenly in your pilots office and now you call him Sam.

Other place is seeing guys asses to guard positions so they become a warrant when they cross over having been and active duty captain or whatever.

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, Bigred said:

I'm a USMA grad, former Army commissioned, former Army Guard warrant, current ANG pilot. My mistake at age 20 was assuming the military was a meritocracy and if I was just good at my job I wouldn't have anything to worry about. My primary, alternate and contingency plan all fell apart when I got stuck in a non-flying job while the guy that banged my girlfriend while I was back at Rucker for PME took my slot as the flight commander of my old unit, mostly just because of dumb luck. I tried to revert on active duty but our year group was undermanned so that wasn't going to happen, but I'd made enough connections in the Army guard that I got in got to revert. My current unit was on a stop-hire when I got out of the Army, but eventually the big Army tried to screw me again and I was in a shit-or-get-off-pot moment to get into this squadron, and it all couldn't have worked out any better.

• 5 months later...
I’m not a ROTC grad or Academy guy, but I’ve never heard of prior E’s that go to those institutions getting to count that toward retirement. Am I wrong?

Nope, while I was in ROTC the prior E’s were not active enlisted members on an enlistment contract so no soup for them or no prior service cadets

That’s from 24 years ago so buyer beware but I’d be surprised that policy would have changed