The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Howdy. Not trying to derail any discussion in this thread but I figured this is the best place to go with my question. My understanding is that currently most of the airlines have a "no tattoos visible while in uniform" policy. I'm completely okay with wearing a long sleeve shirt for the rest of my career rather than trying to get these things removed at this point, but my question is: do tattoos (which would be visible in short sleeves) have any sort of impact on the hiring process at all? I don't have any on my hands, above the neckline, etc. I am good to go as far as AF standards. 

1 hour ago, confidentallyincorrect said:

Howdy. Not trying to derail any discussion in this thread but I figured this is the best place to go with my question. My understanding is that currently most of the airlines have a "no tattoos visible while in uniform" policy. I'm completely okay with wearing a long sleeve shirt for the rest of my career rather than trying to get these things removed at this point, but my question is: do tattoos (which would be visible in short sleeves) have any sort of impact on the hiring process at all? I don't have any on my hands, above the neckline, etc. I am good to go as far as AF standards. 

You probably won’t even take your suit jacket off at an airline interview and there is no such thing as an inspection process. So if you have some tats on your forearms, you’ll be wearing the long sleeves the rest of your career, but that’s it.  No problem. I suppose I can’t speak for all airlines. Wouldn’t be surprised if DL guys got the full open ranks inspection each morning. - Joking!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, confidentallyincorrect said:

No.  They don't.  UPS just eased up on that too when they allowed beards recently.  Of course UPS isn't hiring at the moment, but knowing UPS, that can change in a heartbeat.

Edited by FourFans
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, O Face said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if DL guys got the full open ranks inspection each morning. - Joking!

Thanks for the reminder, forgot to conduct an inspection on my FO yesterday...won't forget it today!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now I regret not taking the job with Delta, who says you can't have fun at the airlines!

Frustrated Lufthansa pilot flies plane in 15-mile long penis pattern after being diverted to different airport

"In a statement to Fox News Digital, a spokesperson for Lufthansa blamed "wind shear" for the diverted flight and unusual flight pattern."

NYP1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 11:38 AM, ClearedHot said:

Now I regret not taking the job with Delta, who says you can't have fun at the airlines!

Frustrated Lufthansa pilot flies plane in 15-mile long penis pattern after being diverted to different airport

"In a statement to Fox News Digital, a spokesperson for Lufthansa blamed "wind shear" for the diverted flight and unusual flight pattern."

NYP1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

You can tell its German because of the foreskin.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, McJay Pilot said:

Brother, if you’ve got the info I’m more than happy to keep it updated!

You could probably just depict anything in the NYC/BWI/DC area as junior and it that would be the 90% solution.  Maybe slather in a bit of SFO/OAK, ANC and MIA for good measure.

7 hours ago, BFM this said:

Typical newhire question: if assigned LGA, how long to hold a line?

Answer: around lunchtime, day 4 of Indoc.

Lol right!  Then they get to their base of choice and realize that, unlike the regionals, reserve doesn't suck anymore.  

Edited by SocialD

You've got it right. Credit can be (and often is) greater than the "hard time" you fly based on various rigs, etc. Bid periods are basically months, although I think FDX does 13 bid periods a year. I guess you could adjust the percentage to 1.16 or so if you wanted to include the 401k contribution, or maybe to assume you're able to pick up premium some portion of the time? I wouldn't think too hard about it though. What you've got set now is basically what you should count on as a new hire. 

1 hour ago, Yeti_72 said:

Not an airline guy just yet but trying to understand this pay calc from airline pilot central. Specifically bid periods and percentage portion, assuming credit time is just time flown for the month.

image.png.2fab848f7fa7653f32164f0a3c094431.png

That's an OK calculator, but  pay rate x 1,000 gets you in the ball park in total compensation (pay/401k).  +/- a bit for profit sharing if the airline has it.  

credit is probably higher, unless you are min running on purpose (time off vs. more pay). I’ve seen a lot of guys do that first year who have mil retirement - that supplements their lost wages when they work a no shit 50-65 hr credit month. However, plan for what you have above (which excludes PS and 401K) and you’ll have a solid, conservative plan to base your finances on. 

Just remember that while airline pay might help you buy that second vacation home, active duty military pay provides the stability and predictability that only true, full-time service to your country can offer. And you cannot gloss over the benefits that don't show up on a pay stub: healthcare, retirement, and, of course, the unrivaled joy of serving your nation 24/7 that will put a smile on your face every morning. Remember, in our Air Force, you're not just holding a line; you're holding THE line—against existential threats to our way of life.

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

On 8/26/2023 at 6:54 AM, Major Osman said:

Just remember that while airline pay might help you buy that second vacation home, active duty military pay provides the stability and predictability that only true, full-time service to your country can offer. And you cannot gloss over the benefits that don't show up on a pay stub: healthcare, retirement, and, of course, the unrivaled joy of serving your nation 24/7 that will put a smile on your face every morning. Remember, in our Air Force, you're not just holding a line; you're holding THE line—against existential threats to our way of life.

Please see this thread for context.

Also, your boss said the AF would just replace anyone punching out.  Push to Test was accomplished. Results verified.  Replacements ain't easy, it'n it?