The Congressman is back yo

congressman

On 1/12/2017 at 10:54 AM, ImNotARobot said:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/mileygate-commander-promotion-letter

I was stationed with/flew with/went to college with one of these guys that got wrongly burned in this fiasco. He's a great dude, and is still dealing with the after effects while Hastings is jockeying for his own promotion. 

It's been about 6 years since Miley Gate.  What ever happened to the three guys that were wrongly accused? 

5 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

It's been about 6 years since Miley Gate.  What ever happened to the three guys that were wrongly accused? 

Hopefully the universe provided the needed correction and they're all enjoying post-military careers which allow them the professional satisfaction and personal/family enrichment they deserve.  🙂

• Like 4

On 8/24/2021 at 7:47 PM, dream big said:

I was waiting for “actually it’s Trump’s fault”…no, this mess is 100% Biden’s mess. Trump had an exist strategy…woke Miley sat on it until Biden finally made a decision in April and now we have one of the largest humanitarian crises in recent history - and because the guy in the office can’t put a sentence together let alone make a strategic decision, it might get much worse.  

I mean they’re both at fault, and people who want to blame one or the other are looking at it with a partisan lens. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 8:39 AM, brickhistory said:

Concur. 

However, given that the Democrats will redraw the districts and his is nearly 50-50 split, I see them trying to contain the Republicans to those southern areas of the state and will carve his up among the existing Democrat districts in ensure a lock.  I don't believe he could win in one of those redder districts as he's voted for numerous gun-control measures, wants to stay in Afghanistan, and voted for Trump Impeachment II, etc.  But no local knowledge so could be entirely off-base.

I do know, however, that Kinzinger was one of the Republicans given the Steele Dossier back when.  To the best of my knowledge he has never denied (or confirmed) spreading the info around.

I also know that a Trump-endorsed candidate was the leading vote getter for a special election in TX yesterday and will advance to the final since she didn't get a 50% + 1 of the votes cast.

The Kinzinger-endorsed candidate was pretty far back and didn't make the next round.

To be fair, the leading vote getter was the widow of the deceased representative, so Trump may or may not have been a factor in her advancement.  But Kinzinger's influence was pretty nil.  I think others will be drawing similar conclusions.

https://www.wbez.org/stories/congressional-map-puts-kinzinger-in-left-leaning-district/08fa3566-03bb-447b-8dc5-679d9fefc39d

Hopefully, AMF.

16 minutes ago, ViperMan said:

When I really stop and think about this, I do have a problem with someone currently wearing the uniform being in congress. Just feels incongruent to me.

Hadn’t given it all that much thought to be honest. Came across this op-ed while attempting to find out how many members of Congress are currently serving: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/06/02/members-of-congress-shouldnt-serve-in-the-military/

Definitely makes a good case against concurrent military and political service. 

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Hadn’t given it all that much thought to be honest.

Same here...but it begs the question: if military service is allowed, why can Kinzinger (and others) in the Reserve serve in Congress and Airmen on Active duty not?

I'm sure there's a valid reason, I'm just too tired to look it up.

Because it's part time?  I guess that opens the question of what happens when one goes on orders or a unit activation, I'm guessing that individual would be exempted.

I personally think having military representation/experience in government is a good thing, beyond Veteran's Preference for federal jobs.  Lindsey Graham, Ted Lieu, others.  Why further widen the already huge gulf between the citizenry you serve, and the military membership?  Frankly I'm at the other end of things, and feel more politicians should have stake in America than just ambition, vanity and ego.  I'd support a service requirement just to qualify for office.

I disagree with a lot of you, I feel the loss of Kinzinger is a bad thing.  Obviously I'm not a MAGA guy but I'm no lefty either.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

When I really stop and think about this, I do have a problem with someone currently wearing the uniform being in congress. Just feels incongruent to me.
Why? They are just wearing different hats at different times. Congress should represent our citizenry, and that includes those in uniform as reservists.

Where would you draw the line? What if a congressman was in the Guard? Should reservists be barred from state government as well?

Should executive branch also bar reservist from serving in a civilian capacity? For example, the was a former SECNAV who was also a Navy reservist O-5 at the same time and an active NFO on flight status.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lehman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GKinnear said:

Same here...but it begs the question: if military service is allowed, why can Kinzinger (and others) in the Reserve serve in Congress and Airmen on Active duty not?

I'm sure there's a valid reason, I'm just too tired to look it up.

Because guys in the Guard and Reserve usually have real  jobs and can tell the big military to naff off as needed..Not unheard of for a say .. staff sergeant to personally know and maybe went to High School with a Senator or Congress critter and those associations can work better than four stars and the big military knows it..

oop's  goblins arrive....chow....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clayton Bigsby said:

Because it's part time?  I guess that opens the question of what happens when one goes on orders or a unit activation, I'm guessing that individual would be exempted.

I personally think having military representation/experience in government is a good thing, beyond Veteran's Preference for federal jobs.  Lindsey Graham, Ted Lieu, others.  Why further widen the already huge gulf between the citizenry you serve, and the military membership?  Frankly I'm at the other end of things, and feel more politicians should have stake in America than just ambition, vanity and ego.  I'd support a service requirement just to qualify for office.

I disagree with a lot of you, I feel the loss of Kinzinger is a bad thing.  Obviously I'm not a MAGA guy but I'm no lefty either.

My distrust of Kinzinger has very little to do with his disdain for Trump but more so his willingness to sway with the winds of whatever popular opinion prevails. Like most politicians, red or blue, he is an opportunist.  I trust Tulsi more than I trust him and I consistently vote Red! 

I doubt he runs for a statewide office in Illinois.  Don't see the votes to put him in.

I stick with my future talking head auditions with a real chance of a weekend show, initially, on CNN or MSNBC prediction.  

He'll get lots of airtime for the 2022 election cycle and those will be his chance to move into his own pundit show.  "Kinzinger Zings" or some such.  I'm trademarking the name, btw.

Good gig if you can get it.

12 hours ago, dream big said:

My distrust of Kinzinger has very little to do with his disdain for Trump but more so his willingness to sway with the winds of whatever popular opinion prevails.

Being an anti-Trump Republican is about as opposite from "swaying with the winds" as is possible.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The problem wasn’t becoming an anti-Trump Republican. The problem was that in becoming an anti-Trump Republican he hilariously took on lots of the traits of Trump himself, including tweeting epically dumb shit. His “you’re only a patriot if you fought in the revolutionary war” tweet probably taking the cake. 

He had an opportunity to take a level headed approach and provide a straight forward, no nonsense, conservative opinion, and instead decided he liked the instant gratification of likes on his tweets from people with TDS and appearances on left leaning talk shows. 

Go look at his Twitter now. It’s almost entirely shit talking Tucker Carlson and focusing on Jan 6th and Michael Flynn. Meanwhile there are serious policy issues facing this country, including an out of control border, massive inflation, supply chain crisis, that could really use some no nonsense leadership to solve and he refuses to talk about it.

That is why this guy is a clown. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 7

On 10/31/2021 at 2:31 PM, jazzdude said:

Why? They are just wearing different hats at different times. Congress should represent our citizenry, and that includes those in uniform as reservists.

Where would you draw the line? What if a congressman was in the Guard? Should reservists be barred from state government as well?

Should executive branch also bar reservist from serving in a civilian capacity? For example, the was a former SECNAV who was also a Navy reservist O-5 at the same time and an active NFO on flight status.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lehman

Probably the same reason I have an issue with boys in girls' bathrooms, even if they're just wearing different skirts at different times.

There's something fundamental about military service, and there is something fundamental about congressional service. The differences don't vanish when you're done with your duty day - in either case. One of those positions requires you to publicly buck the system when necessary. The other requires you to shut up and take orders from your masters. These values are good in the broader system that is America, but when you co-locate things like this which are inherently conflicting, things just get icky. There are other differences as well, but it just feels to me like you should go serve in congress once you separate or retire. Representation is good and sorely needed, but for the same reason we don't need government contractors running the defense department, we don't need the military running congress or vice versa.

11 hours ago, ViperMan said:

Probably the same reason I have an issue with boys in girls' bathrooms, even if they're just wearing different skirts at different times.

There's something fundamental about military service, and there is something fundamental about congressional service. The differences don't vanish when you're done with your duty day - in either case. One of those positions requires you to publicly buck the system when necessary. The other requires you to shut up and take orders from your masters. These values are good in the broader system that is America, but when you co-locate things like this which are inherently conflicting, things just get icky. There are other differences as well, but it just feels to me like you should go serve in congress once you separate or retire. Representation is good and sorely needed, but for the same reason we don't need government contractors running the defense department, we don't need the military running congress or vice versa.

Are you AD, Guard or Reserve? Just curious which perspective you’re coming from. 

I disagree, but this isn’t the most outlandish thing I’ve heard. I worked with an well educated Army Major in my last AD job who argued that Officers shouldn’t vote in Presidential elections.. 

i don’t get this whole “shut up and take orders from your masters thing, both in this thread and the COVID one. The military preaches it doesn’t want a bunch of conformists, that’s why it has got a hard on for innovation and diversity. Some of you would be throwing the book at Billy Mitchell given the chance..