Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest egovolo

USAA

3 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Ha!  Must be what's financing the airline grants.

WRT homeowners/car insurance, who out there is doing good service and value?  My car rates just went vertical.

Out

So I'm paying ~$330/mo. for full coverage on 2 cars (pretty new, nothing exotic) and homeowners insurance on a $350k home.

I was previously paying ~ $180/mo before the move but the old home value was around $280k.

Does that check or are you guys seeing way better rates? Good driving records with no accidents/tickets in the past 15 years or so and great credit.

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

So I'm paying ~$330/mo. for full coverage on 2 cars (pretty new, nothing exotic) and homeowners insurance on a $350k home.

I was previously paying ~ $180/mo before the move but the old home value was around $280k.

Does that check or are you guys seeing way better rates? Good driving records with no accidents/tickets in the past 15 years or so and great credit.

Wife and I have both vehicles, fairly new mid end cars fully ensured with Geico for $75 a month, clean records, good credit. We switched from USAA, they were charging $125 a month. Local company for home owners, live a mile from the coast, not in a flood zone, $1600 a year for - $270,000 home. USAA wanted $2800. 

On 3/31/2020 at 6:15 PM, viper154 said:

Wife and I have both vehicles, fairly new mid end cars fully ensured with Geico for $75 a month, clean records, good credit. We switched from USAA, they were charging $125 a month. Local company for home owners, live a mile from the coast, not in a flood zone, $1600 a year for - $270,000 home. USAA wanted $2800. 

47 years with USAA and NO claims auto or home with the exception of windshield replaced last year.  Getting the runaround on a house claim now.  It ain't the same USAA of old.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:12 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Is USAA not the go to insurannce company anymore? Ha e others here found better rates with another company?

To be honest, I havent shopped rates in probably 15 years.

Geico is way cheaper.  USAA is run by cucks now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, torqued said:

Did you read the entire article? Who are you calling “sheeple”? And why?

Can y’all copy/paste it? I’m paywalled.

Edit: Found this: 

SAN ANTONIO  Editor’s note: This story was published through a partnership between the San Antonio Business Journal and KSAT.

The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency issued an $85 million civil penalty against San Antonio-based USAA Federal Savings Bank on Wednesday, citing failures with the bank’s risk management and compliance, according to a news release.

The OCC said these issues led to violations of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and the Military Lending Act, and that the bank is working to remedy the violations under a 2019 consent order. The fine will be paid to the U.S. Treasury.

“The bank has failed to implement and maintain an effective compliance risk management program and an effective [information technology] risk governance program commensurate with the bank’s size, complexity and risk profile,” according to the OCC’s latest consent order. “The bank has deficiencies in all three lines of defense (first-line business units, independent risk management and internal audit) in its compliance risk management program.”

USAA said in a statement that it has been working diligently to hire the right expertise and improve its systems, although it has “not moved fast enough to close some gaps,” and that it is working cooperatively with the OCC.

“Simply put, we have fallen short of our high standards and those of our members and our regulators. As we grew quickly over the last decade, we never wavered from our commitment to serve members. However, we did not sufficiently invest in the capabilities and expertise necessary to meet regulatory requirements and evolving business needs,” USAA CEO Wayne Peacock said in a statement.

Edited by Kiloalpha

8 hours ago, torqued said:

Did you read the entire article? Who are you calling “sheeple”? And why?

No I just read the headline 🤦‍♂️ Did I miss something positive? The bonuses to the banking group? 

I feel dirty going w them for home insurance just for the convenience factor

oh Damn I’ve been institutionalized 

• Haha 1

USAA isn't that bad, they're just not as good as they used to be...

Two weeks ago I was sideswiped by a semi going through an intersection onto Kelly Field.  I wasn't hurt, but my Toyota was banged up pretty bad (was eventually totaled).   I filed a claim online when I got home and a USAA rep called me soon after.  Eventually I ended up working directly with Progressive (the truck driver's insurance) to handle the claim, but USAA had my back if I needed help.

By the way, Progressive was very good about handling my claim as well.  Once I sent them the dash cam footage of the incident, they got to work getting my car appraised and getting me a rental car.  I was lucky in that I quickly found a replacement (a 2013 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI) in Austin and picked it up last Sunday.  The Progressive rep also instructed me to scan my signed title in and email it to her so she could start working the reimbursement instead of waiting for it to arrive via FedEx in a day or two. 

On a downside, I had driven to Austin on Friday to look at the Jetta and on my way back stopped at USAA to get a certified check for the purchase, only to find their bank lobby still closed due to COVID despite restrictions being eased up and many other banks being open.  I ended up having to do a wire transfer, which only happens on business days which could have delayed my getting my new-to-me car had not the seller been willing to work out a means to allow me to get it last weekend.

Overall, USAA isn't the company they once were, and I am not happy with their selling of their investment program to Charles Schwab (which I am ready to move away from); but living in SA they are still the most convenient insurance/bank around.  I have yet to find anyone significantly better...

1 hour ago, M2 said:

I am not happy with their selling of their investment program to Charles Schwab

Really? While a bit less convenient having 2 separate accounts, the CS platform is leaps and bounds above USAAs. 

34 minutes ago, Day Man said:

Really? While a bit less convenient having 2 separate accounts, the CS platform is leaps and bounds above USAAs. 

Agree. Best thing I did was move my investments far away from USAA. 

expense ratio fees for most of their accounts are high. Vanguard is money. 

• Upvote 2

I hate to sound like a commercial here but seeing this post peaked my interested and got me to call Geico - and now I'm switching.

I had some bad experiences with USAA, most recently with my car buying experience last February - and the insurance policy I just got with Geico is $80/month cheaper with all coverage's remaining the same as I had with USAA. 

I've been with USAA for over a decade - feels weird to change things up.

Edited by mightymighty
buffoonery

45 minutes ago, mightymighty said:

I hate to sound like a commercial here but seeing this post peaked my interested and got me to call Geico - and now I'm switching.

I had some bad experiences with USAA, most recently with my car buying experience last February - and the insurance policy I just got with Geico is $80/month cheaper with all coverage's remaining the same as I had with USAA. 

Almost same.  Been w/ USAA for...14 years, maybe 18.  Called up a few places State Farm was the best and giving it a shot.  I will say I've had 0 issues with USAA, and their comms were always excellent.  But I'm saving almost $100 a month with full coverage.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mightymighty said:

We were with Geico for YEARS. I called in to cancel because I had found a cheaper quote... 2 adults and a teenager with a 4WD Wrangler.  They told me to hold on, thanked me for my longevity, etc., then moved me to a Geico sister company. Everything is identical, still use the same app, payments to the same place, the difference was the legal entity name added 'Mutual' or something similar to the paperwork. Cut my Geico rate by about 30%. This was so they keep good customers at the lower rate, and show a loss of $ on the main company (thats how it was explained to me.

5 hours ago, mightymighty said:

Never had any bad experiences, I think I said this in here before, but I cut my rates in half going to Geico. USAA was charging me $150 a month for full coverage on two vehicles for myself and wife, both with clean driving records. Geico charges me $70 for the same coverage. USAA wouldn’t even attempt to match them so I left. 

I do have boat insurance through USAA who uses Progressive, they beat all the other competitors by far. 

I've looked into leaving quite often.  Nobody has been cheaper overall with two vehicles/house/and rental property.  I really really want to leave them but it hasn't made fiscal sense yet.  I've had zero claims (knock on wood) since I started with them in 2006 while overseas.  

Wife and I just switched to ALFA. If you live in a state that ALFA serves (I think, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama and a couple more maybe), they even beat Geico.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app