Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
congressman

The Congressman is back yo

For me, the bonus release this January will determine my future.  If it substantially increases (at least 55k/year) or move to the professional pay that was thrown around I would CONSIDER staying.  I’m giving the AF one last shot to fix itself.

Another thing I think they could do to sweeten the deal would be to offer us an early (15 year) retirement.  It could be a win/win, letting us help bridge the gap while the AF figures out it’s experience/numbers problem, and then we can get out with a retirement while not severely hurting our seniority numbers (since most of us are around 12 years once our UPT ADSC is up).  But I figure that’s a good deal so we will never get it.

Pipe dream. It is locked by law at $35K and the Services have no intention of requesting more.

Also, why would they pay you for the rest of your life to walk at 15 years when they want to retain a % to 20?

54 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

Pipe dream. It is locked by law at $35K and the Services have no intention of requesting more.

Also, why would they pay you for the rest of your life to walk at 15 years when they want to retain a % to 20?

No doubt it’s a pipe dream.  We all know the many problems they are having with retention, so I’m not going to go there.

i just think 15 years may get a guy, who is going to leave at 12 at the peak of his aviation experience (experienced IP/EP) but still flying the line, to consider staying.  As I said, to bridge the gap until the AF figures out a more permanent solution.  I know they would never do that, but it makes me feel better throwing it out there on the off chance somebody that can make a difference actually reads this.

Why don’t we start with not requiring military members to pay federal and state income tax? That’s an easy pay increase across the board with no perceptible reduction in tax revenue.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 6

Look at you guys tossing out things the United States congress could do if they showed up to work and worked together...

Cute.

Oh, and forget an increased bonus...probably in those "personnel funds" we plan on raising for the wall that Mexico is going to pay for.

~Bendy

6 hours ago, Bender said:

Oh, and forget an increased bonus...

The AF is not going to end their shortage by 2023 like they are planning.

Watched the 12 March hearing of the House Armed Services Committee, Subcommittee on Military Personnel, and Congress ate up the testimony of the guy that said bigger bonuses won’t help (Mr. Todd Harrison, CSIS). He said that he thinks paying military members more would cheapen their service. The subcommittee loved it. One congresswoman even piggy-backed to say that in her 20 years in the service she never heard any of her peers complain about pay. Mr. Harrison also cherry-picked some stats to argue that increasing the bonus had zero affect on retention. Congress ooh’ed and ah’ed. “Wow! That’s eye-opening!”

His recommendation? More or less, “We shouldn’t do anything until we do more surveys to find out why troops are really leaving and mine that data.”

To the credit of the representative from RAND, she vigorously argued that the data we already have showed bonuses do work, but it is simply not high enough to have the desired effect. She was largely dismissed.

Edited by Klepto
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Klepto said:

The AF is not going to end their shortage by 2023 like they are planning.

Watched the 12 March hearing of the House Armed Services Committee, Subcommittee on Military Personnel, and Congress ate up the testimony of the guy that said bigger bonuses won’t help (Mr. Todd Harrison, CSIS). He said that he thinks paying military members more would cheapen their service. The subcommittee loved it. One congresswoman even piggy-backed to say that in her 20 years in the service she never heard any of her peers complain about pay. Mr. Harrison also cherry-picked some stats to argue that increasing the bonus had zero affect on retention. Congress ooh’ed and ah’ed. “Wow! That’s eye-opening!”

His recommendation? More or less, “We shouldn’t do anything until we do more surveys to find out why troops are really leaving and mine that data.”

To the credit of the representative from RAND, she vigorously argued that the data we already have showed bonuses do work, but it is simply not high enough to have the desired effect. She was largely dismissed.

Well, if they do more surveys, now is the chance to say that bonuses do in fact work.  Because some of this was self-inflicted when so many aviators said "it isn't about the money" as they left for an airline gig in order to make more money.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, if they do more surveys, now is the chance to say that bonuses do in fact work.  Because some of this was self-inflicted when so many aviators said "it isn't about the money" as they left for an airline gig in order to make more money.
To be fair, I didn't want to leave for the money. Life is just much better. Since the AF can't really match that aspect, money is all they have left.
  • Like 1