Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

On 9/8/2023 at 4:33 AM, Khruangbin33 said:

Thanks for the information everyone.  Your replies constitute more mentorship than I've received in real life over the last four years, which I suppose is telling in and of itself.  I'll continue controlling the the stuff I can control, remaining an asset to leadership and the young bucks, and making sure I am prepared for whatever big blue decides to do with me.

What’s your timing to IP qual? If you’re worried about making 0-5, this last board the trend I saw for most who didn’t make it is no school nor staff (with just a P). If you are going to make IP soon I’d consider biting the bullet and volunteering for a staff assignment to move next summer and then meet your board following year. If you are confident about getting a DP at your wing then I’d just stay put so you can keep flying. Bottom line, you need to sit your leadership down and make them give you feedback and what their plan for you is. 

BLUF, I assess that my presentation to the board will be as an as an AC with a P, school boxes checked via correspondence, and a pro forma PRF.  That said, I will go get an official vector from leadership.

Don't want to get into specifics and dox myself, so long story short I'm probably 14 months from IP qual.  That won't make it into my record before the board.  Won't be eligible for staff next year because I won't meet time on station requirements to be considered for a move.  Was also told not to go to staff without making IP because I would end up in MLR with a weak record.  Drilling down to root causes here, there were about 6-9 major career/life decisions I made in the last several years which sent me down this path, so the only person I have to blame is me.

34 minutes ago, Khruangbin33 said:

BLUF, I assess that my presentation to the board will be as an as an AC with a P, school boxes checked via correspondence, and a pro forma PRF.  That said, I will go get an official vector from leadership.

Don't want to get into specifics and dox myself, so long story short I'm probably 14 months from IP qual.  That won't make it into my record before the board.  Won't be eligible for staff next year because I won't meet time on station requirements to be considered for a move.  Was also told not to go to staff without making IP because I would end up in MLR with a weak record.  Drilling down to root causes here, there were about 6-9 major career/life decisions I made in the last several years which sent me down this path, so the only person I have to blame is me.

Can you make it to retirement or perhaps stay afloat long enough to jump to an ANG unit?   If so, in reality you are in a good position to just be a flier.  Nothing wrong with that, the squadrons always need a few flying silverbacks.   For flying mentorship.  The young dudes dont learn how to "fly" from their CCs and DOs, its those crusty Majors and Lt Cols (and a few 2nd assignment dudes) that keep the young dudes in check or pass good flying knowledge down.   There is a difference between the flying airforce and the promotion airforce lol.  

Edited by Biff_T
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Seriously consider what Biff said. Honestly I think those of us who have been lucky enough to spend our entire careers flying are overall more happy than we would have been going to school/staff/touch and go flying assignment/back to school, etc. I’ve outflown the hell out of my friends who stayed AD and have been wrapped up in that path. Wouldn’t trade my experience for theirs for $10M bucks…I know that’s wholly subjective, but don’t believe the management hype that the “typical” AD career must look like the cycle I described above. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Khruangbin33 said:

The going to staff sans IP advice you got is probably correct; I’ve sat in on a staff MLR as an observer and it’s tough to land a DP without a strong record since you’ll be competing against the AF top 20-30% types.

Based on what you’ve posted, you honestly have a 50/50 shot on making O-5 based on recent historical metrics (IDE in correspondence complete with a P).

If making O-5 is you top priority, given your situation as you describe it your best bet is getting a Wing job with visibility to the Bob’s.  If making IP and flying is your top priority, stay in Sq and fly your ass off.  Nothing wrong with either COA.  Best of luck to ya!

• Like 1

Thanks again for the perspective, everyone.  I think I'm probably most useful as a flier, and damn right, it's what I joined to do, so there's not much sense in pointless thrash if odds will stay 50/50.  Better to be a reliable crewdog than the alternative.  I'll check back in with results once all this plays out.

• Upvote 2

On 9/13/2023 at 9:48 PM, Khruangbin33 said:

Thanks again for the perspective, everyone.  I think I'm probably most useful as a flier, and damn right, it's what I joined to do, so there's not much sense in pointless thrash if odds will stay 50/50.  Better to be a reliable crewdog than the alternative.  I'll check back in with results once all this plays out.

The cool thing about this path (besides the fact that Robin Olds would respect you) is that you can smoke cigarettes and get fucked up again in public.  Its like being in UPT but you have wings, a paycheck and the street cred to act like a bad ass.  Congrats man!   

P.S.  The bar chicks' tits are a little saggier than back in the UPT days and they're probably living in the trailer park by the bar, lol but who cares at this point in life.  You're a fucking pilot!  

14 hours ago, Biff_T said:

The cool thing about this path (besides the fact that Robin Olds would respect you) is that you can smoke cigarettes and get fucked up again in public.  Its like being in UPT but you have wings, a paycheck and the street cred to act like a bad ass.  Congrats man!   

P.S.  The bar chicks' tits are a little saggier than back in the UPT days and they're probably living in the trailer park by the bar, lol but who cares at this point in life.  You're a fucking pilot!  

Maybe at the bars you hang out at Biff…never had that saggy trailer park problem once I left the Deep South. Although the metropolitan chicks come with their own issues. Glad I’m married now and don’t have to deal with the me too movement. 

But yes…nothing wrong with being a gray beard iron major. Just make sure you’re square with that down the road and don’t have regrets. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

At an all-call yesterday, our OG said there might not be an O-4 board for the 16YG.  I was tracking that the board would likely move to February to accommodate the SCOD.  But no board whatsoever?  Anybody have the inside scoop on this?   

1 hour ago, BE36 said:

At an all-call yesterday, our OG said there might not be an O-4 board for the 16YG.  I was tracking that the board would likely move to February to accommodate the SCOD.  But no board whatsoever?  Anybody have the inside scoop on this?   

That is somewhat correct, they have just moved the board to line up with the SCOD, and there will be 2 O5 boards this year due to the SCOD changes. Nobody says big blue makes logical decisions some times. The O-3 SCOD was too close to when the MLR got the  prf’s. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 11:42 PM, cragspider said:

That is somewhat correct, they have just moved the board to line up with the SCOD, and there will be 2 O5 boards this year due to the SCOD changes. Nobody says big blue makes logical decisions some times. The O-3 SCOD was too close to when the MLR got the  prf’s. 

Yet another reason SCODs are dumb.

Any idea how far back it will be moved? Nothing on myfss indicates the timeline for the 16YG.

Edit: Disregard, found a note that says Jan/Feb 2025. Wonder if that means results now won't release until Dec 25 instead of Jan 25?

Edited by LiquidSky

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, yellerfever said:

The Air Force is once again showing disdain for their hardest working, highest performing people…that have the most options on the outside.

IMG_0436.webp

Dang.

Guess this is the plan:

image.png.aa38c79e236cb813dbf5f5107b2e9f45.png

4 hours ago, yellerfever said:

The Air Force is once again showing disdain for their hardest working, highest performing people…that have the most options on the outside.

IMG_0436.webp

Gotta figure out some way to pay for the $50k bonuses we tricked a bunch of 27-year-old-second-assignment-no-ground-duties bros into taking.

Anybody have previous years’ increments handy?

2 hours ago, jice said:

Gotta figure out some way to pay for the $50k bonuses we tricked a bunch of 27-year-old-second-assignment-no-ground-duties bros into taking.

Anybody have previous years’ increments handy?

You talking about that early bonus thing?  Did anyone actually take it?

15 hours ago, yellerfever said:

IMG_0436.webp

Gotta pump those Air Force Ball bake sales and CGOC numbers up! Air Force doesn’t care whether you’re a good  pilot or not. 

16 hours ago, yellerfever said:

IMG_0436.webp

I tell you what; you can have my O-5 line number (I pin in 60 days) if the Air Force will let me early retire.  I'm in law school right now at Georgetown and I think my career will be much more promising on the outside and far less stressful.  Not a pilot though so I am one of the lower performer, less hard working people.  

I’ll tell you this that the AAD thing is back with a vengeance. I BFM’d that requirement to O-5 DO gig and then went from top Strat to bottom 1/3 for next rack and stack. When I asked why they said that since that’s a requirement for O-6 and not having one shows you don’t want to be an O-6, they don’t want you to be a commander since that’s a step to O-6. Sigh.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, yellerfever said:

IMG_0436.webp

Nevermind the fact that LAF-A is twice the size than some of the other Devcats you are referencing...

31 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

I’ll tell you this that the AAD thing is back with a vengeance. I BFM’d that requirement to O-5 DO gig and then went from top Strat to bottom 1/3 for next rack and stack. When I asked why they said that since that’s a requirement for O-6 and not having one shows you don’t want to be an O-6, they don’t want you to be a commander since that’s a step to O-6. Sigh.

Thats fucking horseshit.  AF leadership has already stated they're having/going to have a problem producing & retaining qualified people for Sq command; now they're back to levying an artificial requirement for command that will drive more good people away.

• Upvote 2

Thats ing horseshit.  AF leadership has already stated they're having/going to have a problem producing & retaining qualified people for Sq command; now they're back to levying an artificial requirement for command that will drive more good people away.
Don't tell AFSOC, they still probably think IDE-in residence is the mark of leadership. Doesn't matter that the number of school slots in the command is less than CC/DO slots.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Thats fucking horseshit.  AF leadership has already stated they're having/going to have a problem producing & retaining qualified people for Sq command; now they're back to levying an artificial requirement for command that will drive more good people away.

I don’t doubt it, but don’t confuse me with a good person.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RJ09 said:

Not a pilot though so I am one of the lower performer, less hard working people.

These non-rated peasants are finally starting to recognize supported vs supporting…

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Standby said:

These non-rated peasants are finally starting to recognize supported vs supporting…

bad news buddy...you can be rated and not a pilot

• Upvote 1