"Biden Didn’t Learn for Days That Pentagon Chief Was in Hospital"

11 hours ago, nsplayr said:

I 0.5 FTE vs full-time, buying an airplane, and flying the (future) grandkids out for very expensive hamburgers.

Hell, I might even build that canoe one day!

I highly recommend the book Die With Zero by Bill Perkins. I liked the book a lot and got a lot out of it.

Kill two birds with one stone, build the plane and fly the grandkids. I'll check out the book but having no 'squids' and wife's current spending, we are on a direct path to Die With Zero.  

Edited by Springer
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vito said:

Best line I heard about Austin’s hospitalization was because he needed a “New Spine” and the operation takes time

He had a butt surgery so they probably removed whatever was left of his spine.

On a serious note - cancer sucks and I wouldn't wish that shit on anyone. 

My bet is Kathleen Hicks steps up, she checks the right boxes (female), is equally useless enough, and will probably get them through the election cycle with minimal Tom Cotton and company scrutiny. The OSD-P hacks run the DoD anyways. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone knows Biden is a bumbling idiot, but this SecDef has got to be the most incompetent piece of lard ever. His combatant commanders despise him, his staff is full of woke Ivy League chodes that just get in the way of actual war fighting business and have no business sitting in their positions. The fact that he didn’t resign after the historic embarrassment that was the Afghanistan withdrawal is downright shameful. I’m not thrilled about another Trump admin but at least it may lead to some executive cleaning house. 

Edited by dream big
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Everyone know Biden is a bumbling idiot, but this SecDef has got to be the most incompetent piece of lard ever. His combatant commanders despise him, his staff is full of woke Ivy League chodes that just get in the way of actual war fighting business and have no business sitting in their positions. The fact that he didn’t resign after the historic embarrassment that was the Afghanistan withdrawal is downright shameful. I’m not thrilled about another Trump admin but at least it may lead to some executive cleaning house. 

Listening to anybody driven by political alignment defend this guys it’s clear they haven’t done any reading in his history.

A reminder for the room, this was the COCOM commander that oversaw the rise of ISIS and its view by the admin at the time as a “JV team.”

This guy giving the position to Votel was a godsend…. And then we put him in charge of everything because he checks a lot of boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Pitt4401 said:

I'm not usually a fan of Gaetz and his tirades.  But he hit a solid HR on this one.

I live in Gaetz district and voted against him.  Fully agree with you.

3 hours ago, FourFans said:

I live in Gaetz district and voted against him.  Fully agree with you.

I live here & voted for him, let's fight!

kidding of course.  But I love moments like this, it's his speciality.  Wouldn't support him for any other office but I do enjoy the rabble rousing and spear throws.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

I live here & voted for him, let's fight!

kidding of course.  But I love moments like this, it's his speciality.  Wouldn't support him for any other office but I do enjoy the rabble rousing and spear throws.

Yes, about the only thing he's good at is theatrics

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

Yes, about the only thing he's good at is theatrics

He’s good at making comfortable bureaucrats uncomfortable, which is both useful and entertaining.  We don’t have to like people to acknowledge they may have utility in certain environments; haven’t you seen the Dirty Dozen?

43 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

He’s good at making comfortable bureaucrats uncomfortable, which is both useful and entertaining.  We don’t have to like people to acknowledge they may have utility in certain environments; haven’t you seen the Dirty Dozen?

That's all well and good, but that skill set is a dime a dozen, and he did far more damage with his McCarthy stunt than his theatrics can offset.

He is, however, just another useless politician in an ocean of unaccomplished amateur actors pretending to be competent and in control. I can't fault a sociopath for finding a position to exploit.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

That's all well and good, but that skill set is a dime a dozen, and he did far more damage with his McCarthy stunt than his theatrics can offset.

He is, however, just another useless politician in an ocean of unaccomplished amateur actors pretending to be competent and in control. I can't fault a sociopath for finding a position to exploit.

Not sure I agree with the first statement, although I probably do with the second.  I'll have to give the situation with McCarthy some thought; in general I am a fan of accountability and holding people to their promises, although in that situation it did create a lot of turmoil. Was it worth it? I don't know.  I know I do like the new speaker though.

FWIW I recently had a one on one conversation with Gaetz during a ceremony.  I'll take his brand of spear throwing aggressive showman over the weak sister cry baby frauds like Kinzinger.  Neither are what I want as representatives, but we are in a place of voting for the least worst option and at least he tells Austin to fuck off regularly. 

It is a sad state of affairs in American politics, and one I don't know how to fix. My dad was one of the most honorable men I have ever met in my life. He twice ran for office and I worked his campaign; he lost both times in the primary. He was completely destroyed (>10%) by total scumbags with big outside funding sources.  He ran a great campaign (considering our resources), handily won debates, was personable, worked the entire district, etc.  But if somebody can afford $1 million for Robo calls, signs at every intersection, TV spots till you hate them & people to fake cheer in crowds (a real thing), they typically win a primary.  

Anyway, I wasn't trying to have a deep dive into Gaetz or the unpleasant realities of our current political process, I was really just dropping a dirty dozen reference.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

I know I do like the new speaker though.

The new speaker, who has accomplished exactly nothing and is passing a clean CR that McCarthy was annihilated for suggesting. Gaetz is a preening hack. I like the new speaker, but he has no business doing that job and anyone who thinks he belongs there has no idea what that job actually entails. You want a principled conservative, look to Chip Roy.

I'll take his brand of spear throwing aggressive showman over the weak sister cry baby frauds like Kinzinger.

Both nothing more that actors, just playing different roles. Interesting comparison.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to have a deep dive into Gaetz or the unpleasant realities of our current political process, I was really just dropping a dirty dozen reference.

No worries. I did like his grilling of Austin, it's just the only thing he provides, and he fucks up other things.

It's going to take a war. A bad one. Something to refocus the population and provide a new batch of heroes to vote for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

t is a sad state of affairs in American politics, and one I don't know how to fix. My dad was one of the most honorable men I have ever met in my life. He twice ran for office and I worked his campaign; he lost both times in the primary. He was completely destroyed (>10%) by total scumbags with big outside funding sources.  He ran a great campaign (considering our resources), handily won debates, was personable, worked the entire district, etc.  But if somebody can afford $1 million for Robo calls, signs at every intersection, TV spots till you hate them & people to fake cheer in crowds (a real thing), they typically win a primary.

The tail end of Shawn Ryan Show episode 72 with Tony Cowden dives into politics. The entire episode/podcast is 100% worth a listen…but this particular portion is enlightening. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Standby said:

The tail end of Shawn Ryan Show episode 72 with Tony Cowden dives into politics. The entire episode/podcast is 100% worth a listen…but this particular portion is enlightening. 

He has some really good guests on .

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

I like the new speaker, but he has no business doing that job and anyone who thinks he belongs there has no idea what that job actually entails.

That's a very important insight. Very, very few of our Congressmen are any good at the job of legislator. The ones you are familiar with are probably decent politicians, but they have little to no idea how to move legislation through a deliberative body - and they mostly don't care, because they're all running for the next office. As a society we have definitely moved towards governor or president being the end goal for a politician instead of "served 30 years in the House," and people only know how to make things happen if they can dictate by fiat.

• Upvote 1