Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

Wait, was your last response to me?  I don’t even know what the a DCG is, solid NameDrop though. However, I do know that you and Bashi are never going to convert one another. I also know that very few Americans “want to give Putin Eastern Europe like it’s his” most notably because Eastern Europe is not America’s to give.  I also know that many Americans are a lot less concerned about Ukraine’s borders than our own borders, which this administration clearly has no interest in defending. I also highly doubt Bashi or Gearhog are KGB, but you seem comfortable calling them Putin operatives quite frequently. So, could they start calling you a Maduro shill since you’re more interested in sending billions of $ to Ukraine instead of fighting a Venezuelan invasion right here in our own southern border?  The point is, maybe a bunch of Americans feel that some of that fake gov cheese should be spent here instead of there.  I know, I know, now I’m a Putin fanboy too. I best start shopping for this season’s ushanka hat. 

Read my lips, if you’re on a Forum spouting off Russian talking points about how Ukraine belongs to them historically, or that NATO expansion justified them invading by force a sovereign nation, or insinuating the CIA ran a coup to overthrow Ukraine’s government (all points he’s tried to make) you’re a shill. Putin has expressed his interest in realigning the old Soviet satellites as vassal states. Pretending otherwise would ignore the last decade of action by him. So yeah Ukraine is as many have pointed out the stepping stone in a lone of stones already crossed leaving us with the next step having a 4/5 chance of being a NATO country.

I’ve got no interest in trying to convert Bashi, I’m pointing out to the rest of the room that may think he has a point how incredibly stupid it is. Why are you suddenly trying to defend him? If he stuck to points about budget he’s fine, but he is repeating known Russian talking points advanced and stimulated across social media.

And DCG would be deputy commanding general. We have one currently and he’s Polish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I really like to boil it down to who is the bigger douche canoe.  In this scenario, Russia is the biggest douche canoe of them all.  They’re the lead rower in said douche canoe.  I don't like douche canoes, much less the lead rower.  This is a pretty good platform in which to build a rock solid foreign policy plan and national defense strategy.  

6 hours ago, O Face said:

Wait, was your last response to me?  I don’t even know what the fuck a DCG is, solid NameDrop though. However, I do know that you and Bashi are never going to convert one another. I also know that very few Americans “want to give Putin Eastern Europe like it’s his” most notably because Eastern Europe is not America’s to give.  I also know that many Americans are a lot less concerned about Ukraine’s borders than our own borders, which this administration clearly has no interest in defending. I also highly doubt Bashi or Gearhog are KGB, but you seem comfortable calling them Putin operatives quite frequently. So, could they start calling you a Maduro shill since you’re more interested in sending billions of $ to Ukraine instead of fighting a Venezuelan invasion right here in our own southern border?  The point is, maybe a bunch of Americans feel that some of that fake gov cheese should be spent here instead of there.  I know, I know, now I’m a Putin fanboy too. I best start shopping for this season’s ushanka hat. 

I don't think anyone views you or Bashi as a fanboy (at least I hope not), more akin to the isolationists leading up to WWII. 

We've been dancing with Russia since the end of WW II with ups and downs on both sides.  The collapse of the FSU gave hope for long-term peace.  Even the proxy conflicts abated for many years.  However, with the rise of Putin and his desire to rebuild the FSU we have seen him reaching beyond Russia's borders through both direct and indirect action.  I certainly understand the view of taking care of our borders and feeding our people here at home, but I also see the long-term danger of leaving Putin's actions unchecked.

As a person with a strategic view I think my side of the argument sees the dangers as far more pressing and concerning than just territory lost in Ukraine.  The second and third order effects destabilize everything and yes I think it emboldens Putin to go further.  Energy markets, the world's food supply and a land war in Europe are not trivial matters to be ignored.

One of the biggest mistakes we make as Americans is we tend to think our adversaries will act rationally as we would.  Of course Putin wouldn't invade invade Poland, that would be foolish, right?  Putin is a dictator, a ruthless one and if you step back and look at the things he is willing to do (employing chemical and radioactive material ON NATO SOIL, genocide, taking territory by force), it is not a stretch to think he might make other actions that we would consider irrational. 

Bullies respond to force and the tougher we make the fight in Ukraine for Putin I believe the lower the chance Putin takes aggressive action elsewhere.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lawman said:

Read my lips, if you’re on a Forum spouting off Russian talking points about how Ukraine belongs to them historically, or that NATO expansion justified them invading by force a sovereign nation, or insinuating the CIA ran a coup to overthrow Ukraine’s government (all points he’s tried to make) you’re a shill. Putin has expressed his interest in realigning the old Soviet satellites as vassal states. Pretending otherwise would ignore the last decade of action by him. So yeah Ukraine is as many have pointed out the stepping stone in a lone of stones already crossed leaving us with the next step having a 4/5 chance of being a NATO country.

I’ve got no interest in trying to convert Bashi, I’m pointing out to the rest of the room that may think he has a point how incredibly stupid it is. Why are you suddenly trying to defend him? If he stuck to points about budget he’s fine, but he is repeating known Russian talking points advanced and stimulated across social media.

And DCG would be deputy commanding general. We have one currently and he’s Polish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

look at you name dropping DCG! you're so cool

like i said let me know when a nato country is invaded then i'm in.

ukraine ain't nato. and it's corrupt as fuck. so enjoy your globalist war you soldier of the world!

• Downvote 2

look at you name dropping DCG! you're so cool
like i said let me know when a nato country is invaded then i'm in.
ukraine ain't nato. and it's corrupt as . so enjoy your globalist war you soldier of the world!

Why so we can wait to hear you call to abandon all those next series countries because of their “historic ties to Russia.”

Seriously… the dumbest point you’ve tried to make on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can't wait for you to call for us to fund all those eastern bloc governments to "defend democracy"
ukraine and russia have historical ties that is undeniable. and not dumb. stop being a war hawk haven't you learned anything post wwii?

You are literally parroting what will be China’s excuse to invade Taiwan in a discussion about deterrence and wider foreign policy like it’s a good reason to reward annexation by force.

Ukraine has “historic ties,” yeah so do the Czech’s. Maybe read a book some time on what the conditions of those historic ties and why they came running into NATO to avoid going back to them. “Eastern Bloc Governments,” wow. Those are NATO partners.

• Downvote 1

https://dnyuz.com/2023/12/12/ukraine-is-on-the-cusp-of-losing-this-war-were-screwed/

so whats the move playboy? you gonna put american troops in ukraine to stop them from losing?
honest question. now that you've hitched your wagon to a losing side what's next? gonna have to continue escalating and you're gonna stumble us into WW3

What did you get tired of reading RT?

9eba1dca554bf7f5c0240a121dd5102d.jpg

Nobody in here has called for US troops in Ukraine. What we have done is call out your isolationist BS and parroting of Russian talking points to justify just leaving Ukraine in the wind like it will stop there.

The entire mission of Foreign Internal Defense was to build combat capability by partner nations so we could avoid needing larger troop deployments later. What we’ve been doing the past 2 years has accomplished that in Ukraine. Continue mission.

you didn't answer my question. ukraine is losing. what next?
oh i know...."trust the experts" like yourself huh?
FID isn't gonna win this war my son.

Yeah lord knows the way to show you are about to lose a war is to successfully conduct a wet gap crossing.

You’re reading trash media claiming to have any idea what’s going on and saying we (the west) need to abandon Ukraine because of their “historic ties to Russia.” What point do you have to make other than to be a relief to all of the sane you aren’t in charge of anything?

17 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

ukraine is losing. that is a fact. what is your plan to fix that besides throwing money at the problem?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/12/politics/takeaways-volodymyr-zelensky-washington

zelensky wouldn't be begging for money in DC if things were all good

That is not a fact. Just because the dude is campaigning for support doesn't mean they are losing. They have been retaking an impressive amount of land that was previously occupied from the Russians (reference this post). 

Is it a tough situation? Yes, obviously...but the Ukrainian military will be much better off with modern weapons that can help minimize their casualties while maximizing Russian casualties. They have done wonders with HIMARs and artillery alone.

2 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

ukraine is losing. that is a fact.

Please support that statement.  Preferably with facts.

You would have been a riot to listen to during the Blitz in England, or during the Battle of the Bulge, or during the seige of Stalingrad, or right after Pearl Harbor.  You are taking a very short and narrow view of a very broad and deep problem.  Maybe try a wider breadth of media coverage.  Ukraine is winning.  Ukraine is losing.  Both sides have valid arguments, yet you're only choosing to listen to one side.  I don't know what bias is driving you to that, but I recommend some self-analysis.

Halve these numbers and it's still insane to say Russia is 'winning'.  They shot their load for a war of attrition using every willing/un-willing 'soldier' at this point.  They have nukes which may or may not work/exist at this point for defense.  What did they gain for that?  

Russia has lost a staggering 87 percent of the total number of active-duty ground troops it had prior to launching its invasion of Ukraine and two-thirds of its pre-invasion tanks, a source familiar with a declassified US intelligence assessment provided to Congress told CNN.

Edited by uhhello

Halve these numbers and it's still insane to say Russia is 'winning'.  They shot their load for a war of attrition using every willing/un-willing 'soldier' at this point.  They have nukes which may or may not work/exist at this point for defense.  What did they gain for that?  

Russia has lost a staggering 87 percent of the total number of active-duty ground troops it had prior to launching its invasion of Ukraine and two-thirds of its pre-invasion tanks, a source familiar with a declassified US intelligence assessment provided to Congress told CNN.

A regiment of 4th Guards Division was recently seen training with T-62s.

Let that sink in for people that don’t understand, that is the Russian Army’s most prolific Armor formation. They are the guys that are based to protect Moscow that had the best equipment. They got chewed to hell fighting along the fight to Sumy. The loss situation is such that they can’t replace their losses and maintain the front.

That would be like us having a bunch of Eagle/Viper squadrons lose their aircraft and then get handed F4/5s to regen with because the modern airframes were needed elsewhere.

2 hours ago, FourFans said:

Please support that statement.  Preferably with facts.

You would have been a riot to listen to during the Blitz in England, or during the Battle of the Bulge, or during the seige of Stalingrad, or right after Pearl Harbor.  You are taking a very short and narrow view of a very broad and deep problem.  Maybe try a wider breadth of media coverage.  Ukraine is winning.  Ukraine is losing.  Both sides have valid arguments, yet you're only choosing to listen to one side.  I don't know what bias is driving you to that, but I recommend some self-analysis.

Self analysis. I swore to support and defend the constitution. Never swore to uphold Eastern Europe. Ukraine is not nato. We have zero obligation to defend the them. 

many of you need to reexamine who you’re being loyal to. It’s sad how brainwashed by the military industrial complex you are. War and more war. Most Americans are sick of it. 

4 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

ukraine is losing. that is a fact. what is your plan to fix that besides throwing money at the problem?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/12/politics/takeaways-volodymyr-zelensky-washington

zelensky wouldn't be begging for money in DC if things were all good

Ukraine is at an economic and manpower disadvantage, it would be stupid NOT to continually beg for better equipment and money from outside nations.  That's not a indicator of losing.  Terrain-wise, it's pretty much at a statement with local advances of sub-kilometer distances by each side.  

Take away external support and Ukraine will lose the conventional fight, due to material shortages and likely increased human losses.  They may choose to go unconventional at that point, but why let that happen when they have rough parity via donations/loans?

12 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I don't think anyone views you or Bashi as a fanboy (at least I hope not), more akin to the isolationists leading up to WWII. 

We've been dancing with Russia since the end of WW II with ups and downs on both sides.  The collapse of the FSU gave hope for long-term peace.  Even the proxy conflicts abated for many years.  However, with the rise of Putin and his desire to rebuild the FSU we have seen him reaching beyond Russia's borders through both direct and indirect action.  I certainly understand the view of taking care of our borders and feeding our people here at home, but I also see the long-term danger of leaving Putin's actions unchecked.

As a person with a strategic view I think my side of the argument sees the dangers as far more pressing and concerning than just territory lost in Ukraine.  The second and third order effects destabilize everything and yes I think it emboldens Putin to go further.  Energy markets, the world's food supply and a land war in Europe are not trivial matters to be ignored.

One of the biggest mistakes we make as Americans is we tend to think our adversaries will act rationally as we would.  Of course Putin wouldn't invade invade Poland, that would be foolish, right?  Putin is a dictator, a ruthless one and if you step back and look at the things he is willing to do (employing chemical and radioactive material ON NATO SOIL, genocide, taking territory by force), it is not a stretch to think he might make other actions that we would consider irrational. 

Bullies respond to force and the tougher we make the fight in Ukraine for Putin I believe the lower the chance Putin takes aggressive action elsewhere.

I agree with everything you said. Except, I have never claimed to be an isolationist, nor have I ever stated any isolationist ideals here.  I simply posted a marginally humorous gif and Lawman responded with his normal diatribe, and so I felt compelled to respond. I just figured he might need reminded why the half of the US, that he accused of “wanting to give the keys of Eastern Europe to Putin” of might not be as emotionally invested in Ukraine as he is.  The simple fact that very many low income US citizens can’t find a place to rent, because Uncle Sam is currently paying out the ass to stuff illegal aliens in any imaginable rental property and continues incentivizing non-citizen, non-tax paying, people to come here and enjoy some more free shit!  So yeah, many Americans find these policies downright treasonous, and the threat of Putin doesn’t seem that dire while a working family, of US citizens, lives in their car while their former home is rented to some Guatemalans. That and of course, the US lending money to anyone feels like paying the bum on the corner with your credit card, at this point. 

I agree with everything you said. Except, I have never claimed to be an isolationist, nor have I ever stated any isolationist ideals here.  I simply posted a marginally humorous gif and Lawman responded with his normal diatribe, and so I felt compelled to respond. I just figured he might need reminded why the half of the US, that he accused of “wanting to give the keys of Eastern Europe to Putin” of might not be as emotionally invested in Ukraine as he is.  The simple fact that very many low income US citizens can’t find a place to rent, because Uncle Sam is currently paying out the ass to stuff illegal aliens in any imaginable rental property and continues incentivizing non-citizen, non-tax paying, people to come here and enjoy some more free shit!  So yeah, many Americans find these policies downright treasonous, and the threat of Putin doesn’t seem that dire while a working family, of US citizens, lives in their car while their former home is rented to some Guatemalans. That and of course, the US lending money to anyone feels like paying the bum on the corner with your credit card, at this point. 

Populist driven policy of “let the people on the other side of the ocean deal with it” has led us to the more expensive and consuming outcome of two world wars. It’s even easier to dehumanize and detach from it when some are freely buying Russian talking points.

Nobody is saying abandon the border for the sake of Ukraine in this argument. Nobody is saying send troops to Ukraine and fight directly, in fact that’s what we are all attempting to keep at arms length letting them play this out a phase line early.

What we are saying is that in this new Cold War/slow collapse of the global supply chain we sit diametrically apposed to a party made up primarily of Russia/China. One of those two major opponents to us coming out on top in this is happily feeding its military capacity into a wood chipper whole sale. We would be idiots to stop paying to put gas in it when comparing the costs of other COAs.

• Upvote 1

When Germany starts acting like they actually believe Russia might expand past UKR and fight NATO countries, and is willing to commit serious money to that problem, that's when you've got my interest.  However the current situation is that we're rushing to rescue Western Europe who doesn't feel threatened or inclined to break the bank investing militarily due to ann imminent Russian invasion.  At the same time we have ever more serious domestic issues.  The reply always seems to be "it's not either or, we can secure our border and the borders of Ukraine" except we can't, or we already would have. 

No love for Russia here, but I 100% believe our over-investment in Ukraine is strategically foolish.  CH, I get your point on pre-WW2 isolationists, but I am unconvinced Russia is analogous to Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.  It looks like a regional dispute to me.  And instead of engaging in thoughtful discussion to convince me, the prevailing approach is to bully me by claiming I'm parroting Putin talking points like a stooge.  If Covid has taught us anything, it's that people yelling thoughtless demands and name-calling must be ignored.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, SocialD said:

I really like to boil it down to who is the bigger douche canoe.  In this scenario, Russia is the biggest douche canoe of them all.  They’re the lead rower in said douche canoe.  I don't like douche canoes, much less the lead rower.  This is a pretty good platform in which to build a rock solid foreign policy plan and national defense strategy.  

Nailed it. This really isn’t that hard. Russia is in the wrong regardless of Bashi’s affinity for “historical ties” and Putin’s dong. The only question is how much the U.S. can/should afford to invest in flipping said douche canoe over. Zero is a reasonable answer because we are spending ourselves to death, but it shouldn’t be difficult to agree that a strong and expanding Russia is not in the best interest of the U.S. 

When Germany starts acting like they actually believe Russia might expand past UKR and fight NATO countries, and is willing to commit serious money to that problem, that's when you've got my interest.  However the current situation is that we're rushing to rescue Western Europe who doesn't feel threatened or inclined to break the bank investing militarily due to ann imminent Russian invasion.  At the same time we have ever more serious domestic issues.  The reply always seems to be "it's not either or, we can secure our border and the borders of Ukraine" except we can't, or we already would have. 

No love for Russia here, but I 100% believe our over-investment in Ukraine is strategically foolish.  CH, I get your point on pre-WW2 isolationists, but I am unconvinced Russia is analogous to Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.  It looks like a regional dispute to me.  And instead of engaging in thoughtful discussion to convince me, the prevailing approach is to bully me by claiming I'm parroting Putin talking points like a stooge.  If Covid has taught us anything, it's that people yelling thoughtless demands and name-calling must be ignored.  

Europe has spent a combined 91 billion in monetary aid to Ukraine and while short of the 2% mark Germany pushed its military budget up a couple billion (largest increase in a half century) in a single year in the midst of 3 straight quarters of a recession. France cranked in its largest increase in decades, Poland is spending nearly 4% of its GDP and outfitting its self with our latest stuff (economic gain to us). These are just a few examples of what is and has been a wider immediate wake up call to reality for them. It’s disingenuous to imply we are going it alone here.

So what exactly is the threshold Europe has to meet for us to be allowed to get off the bench? Because the EU has roughly half the GDP combined we do and they aren’t simply letting us come to their rescue.