F1 Thread

N730

^ Me every time I hear a “meow” on guard.

Seriously though, really looking forward to the finale plus the BTS when Drive to Survive covers the Saudi ‘21 race. 

Somehow they’ll cover Latifi in detail and barely cover the real story for that week…jk yeah that should be good.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Wow, Toto sure can whine.  Lewis seemed more gracious with a little help from his Dad (good on you Dad).

A race which was obviously worth watching to the very end.

Well, I imagine that's because his pitting strategy probably relied upon the idea that FIA would actually follow their own rulebook.

Congrats to Max. It just sucks to get 99.99% of the way to a championship, only for the ref to help push you over the finish line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/6/2021 at 5:13 PM, SurelySerious said:

Somehow they’ll cover Latifi in detail and barely cover the real story for that week…jk yeah that should be good.

Foreshadow much?  I heard Horner has offered Latifi a lifetime supply of Red Bull.

Michael Masi needs to be fired.

21 hours ago, DEVIL said:

I think the final call was BS on the FIA, but the true great battle there was Checo holding back Lewis for Max to gain ground. That was fun to watch.

Agree with the Checo thing.  However, I don't see the issue Merc raised.  Then there's the minor detail, where Max legitimately passed Lewis after the safety car exited.  Lewis never got that back.

Do we really feel sorry that Lewis didn't get that eighth championship?

(Almost) all of my respect for Toto has now gone out the window.

As I understand it, they’re mad the FIA didn’t let the rest of the lapped cars through (keeping the safety car out) which means the race would have finished under a safety car and Hamilton would have won.
Am I getting that right?

Yeah, they are taking issue with only letting the five between VER and HAM through (which, let’s be honest, are the only ones that mattered) because if they do that they should let all lapped cars past.

My take:

I am neither a super HAM fan nor super VER (actually kind of usually root for Gasley, I think he is underrated). If I was VER I'd be annoyed deep down that that's how I got the 'ship, Hamilton was faster that day and everybody knows it. VER will always have to deal with people questioning his wins legitimacy. The good news is most people can recognize that both those drivers are bonkers talented, VER would eventually win the WC regardless of this years outcome.

F1 needs to really start figuring out if this is really what it wants to be. If that race had ended with the two drivers bumping/grinding and duking it out for the last 5 laps, great. But they can't. The cars are too damn sensitive with the aero work, if they touch they basically explode carbon fiber, which leads to these stupid penalties/cars "leaving the track" bologna to avoid wrecking. Maybe the new car will help, but they need to make the cars more durable even if it is at the expense of speed. What about aluminum wings, etc, so if you touch your wing maybe bends instead of exploding? 

It doesn't matter if you don't feel sorry for Lewis not getting an 8th. It doesn't matter if the 5 cars were the only ones that mattered. What matters is that everything was completely arbitrary. In this case, everyone is under a safety car, and you're coming up on the last lap. Every time up to this point in F1 history, when they've decided to unlap cars, it's either been all or nothing. And in the rulebook, the safety car is supposed to exit the lap after the unlapped cars. In either case, the race should have ended on a safety car -- that's what's in the rulebook.

So, if you're Merc, it makes sense to not pit Lewis because you'd give up the lead. The problem is, the race director decided to unlap only 5 cars, and pulled out the safety car early. It was completely arbitrary, one that gave Max a massive competitive advantage at the most critical decision point of the whole season. It's like getting hooked for flying a Q1 approach because the CC doesn't like the Vol 2 standards, but then not even telling you until you're in the flare. And when you complain, the CC investigates himself and finds that he has committed no wrongdoing.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, joe1234 said:

It doesn't matter if you don't feel sorry for Lewis not getting an 8th. It doesn't matter if the 5 cars were the only ones that mattered. What matters is that everything was completely arbitrary. In this case, everyone is under a safety car, and you're coming up on the last lap. Every time up to this point in F1 history, when they've decided to unlap cars, it's either been all or nothing. And in the rulebook, the safety car is supposed to exit the lap after the unlapped cars. In either case, the race should have ended on a safety car -- that's what's in the rulebook.

So, if you're Merc, it makes sense to not pit Lewis because you'd give up the lead. The problem is, the race director decided to unlap only 5 cars, and pulled out the safety car early. It was completely arbitrary, one that gave Max a massive competitive advantage at the most critical decision point of the whole season. It's like getting hooked for flying a Q1 approach because the CC doesn't like the Vol 2 standards, but then not even telling you until you're in the flare. And when you complain, the CC investigates himself and finds that he has committed no wrongdoing.

The irony is.....everyone is saying Lewis got robbed/stolen from. The only one who got robbed is Max, having is first WC be totally legitimate... he'll never get that opportunity again. Way to go. The ultimate move would have been if VER refused to pass Hamilton. My god, the respect i would have had for him. 

38 minutes ago, hockeydork said:

The irony is.....everyone is saying Lewis got robbed/stolen from. The only one who got robbed is Max, having is first WC be totally legitimate... he'll never get that opportunity again. Way to go. The ultimate move would have been if VER refused to pass Hamilton. My god, the respect i would have had for him. 

On that note, rumor mill saying that Lewis has convinced Toto and Mercedes to drop the court case entirely.

I gotta say, he has handled this whole thing with a hell of a lot more class than you could ask of any human.

• Upvote 1

Driver61 actually read the FIA rules, and similar to aviation, it turns out that the race director can waive rules if he thinks it is in the best interest of racing.  There is also a policy which discourages finishing races behind the safety car.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JimNtexas said:

Driver61 actually read the FIA rules, and similar to aviation, it turns out that the race director can waive rules if he thinks it is in the best interest of racing.  There is also a policy which discourages finishing races behind the safety car.

It's subjective but...pinning a fresh set of soft reds against a set of ancient whites for a lap, I don't know if I'd consider that in the best interest of racing. The second those tires went on everyone knew how the race was going to end if those cars were moved. F1 is just too dominated by strategy to start modifying the playbook at the finale. I guess if fans want anarchy for entertainment making it up as you go works. As a fan i found it to be a disappointing climax to the season, and I couldn't careless whether it was Merc or RB that came out on top. The integrity of competition should be the priority. 

Maybe they should have a provision where if a safety car comes out with less than 5 laps to go, all cars must pit, which would get rid of the stupid tire hocus pocus. 

And just like the FAA/aviation....there's some really dumb decisions/policies that get made. Remember, this is the series that gave us the spectacular 2021 Belgian Grand Prix. What a joke. 

• Upvote 1

This article is great.  Especially the quote from Masi in 2020 about how unlapping and ending a safety car period is supposed to happen.

BL - the inconsistency of adjudication across races this year, and even across seasons, has not been good.  Masi needs to be shown the door.

Formula 1: Where next for sport after Verstappen and Hamilton title drama? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59643988

Holy crap, does Lewis' p*ssy hurt.  Merc win the constructors championship, then Lewis hops over to the Palace where he is knighted, and then we learn his participation next year is in doubt because his p*ssy hurts.  Okay Lewis, you only won seven in a row, our p*ssies hurt too.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12497203/lewis-hamilton-toto-wolff-says-he-can-give-no-assurances-british-star-will-continue-in-f1-after-abu-dhabi-pain

• 2 months later...

Really digging the new cars & some of the rather stark differences between them. It’s going to be an interesting season & I think could see a lot of good competition. I’m guessing the disparity between the designs will mean certain cars will be better suited to certain circuits which should mix things up a bit. 

I like this guy’s channel for simple explanations & some interesting racing history:

• Like 1