F1 Thread

N730

2 hours ago, N730 said:

Woah! Another F1 fan??? I guess I'm not alone!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

F1 aka The Mercedes/Ferrari demo series...

But the cars and technologies are very cool.  Would like to see more even competition and/or actual racing rather than the "get a good start" if you've got the pole and drive for two hours to the checkered flag that it is now.

New F1 ownership is trying; we'll see if it actually happens.

8 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

F1 aka The Mercedes/Ferrari demo series...

But the cars and technologies are very cool.  Would like to see more even competition and/or actual racing rather than the "get a good start" if you've got the pole and drive for two hours to the checkered flag that it is now.

New F1 ownership is trying; we'll see if it actually happens.

It's never been a pass happy series, but the recent Merc domination is unreal. I quickly learned to enjoy the midfield battles. It's just exciting to see Ferrari and Red Bull steal a couple. Some of these newer tracks are garbage and turn the race into a parade...Russia is included on that list for sure.

Not sure if you saw the German GP this year or not, but it was exciting, especially if you want a lot of passing.

31 minutes ago, N730 said:

It's never been a pass happy series, but the recent Merc domination is unreal. I quickly learned to enjoy the midfield battles. It's just exciting to see Ferrari and Red Bull steal a couple. Some of these newer tracks are garbage and turn the race into a parade...Russia is included on that list for sure.

Not sure if you saw the German GP this year or not, but it was exciting, especially if you want a lot of passing.

Yep.  Watch/tape 'em all to view as able.  Only usually catch final qualifying as the usual suspects are nearly never in the final 10.

And for the unaware of the sport, it usually has the hottest chick fans.  Big dollars so beauty seems to flock to it.  Funny how that is...

GG2i.jpg

2 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Yep.  Watch/tape 'em all to view as able.  Only usually catch final qualifying as the usual suspects are nearly never in the final 10.

And for the unaware of the sport, it usually has the hottest chick fans.  Big dollars so beauty seems to flock to it.  Funny how that is...

Yep, works for me.

Well, Ferrari is finally winning a bit, but Merc seems like they will walk away with it.

ESPN2, or if you can do BitTorrent (or are in the UK and subscribe), Sky Sports is a good bet, with all former drivers commentating.  Crazy six-hour coverage.

Yep, works for me.
Well, Ferrari is finally winning a bit, but Merc seems like they will walk away with it.
ESPN2, or if you can do BitTorrent (or are in the UK and subscribe), Sky Sports is a good bet, with all former drivers commentating.  Crazy six-hour coverage.
Yeah, I think it's too little too late. I think Merc still has it in the bag, but hopefully between Ferrari's new upgrade and Red Bull doing their thing, we can have a good rest of the season.

Watching it on ESPN is awesome. After embarrassingly bad coverage for the first race they aired, they started airing Sky's coverage of it, uninterrupted, thanks to a sponsorship from Mother's Polish and Wax.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 11:14 AM, N730 said:

Woah! Another F1 fan??? I guess I'm not alone!

There are dozens of us!

But if you’re looking for a sport with no political sellouts, F1 ain’t it. The NBA is getting a lot of shit these days for defending the Chinese government over the HK protestors, while F1 has been making deals with sketchy governments for 50 years. Apartheid South Africa, Communist Hungary, China, Russia, Bahrain, etc.

On 9/26/2019 at 4:38 PM, brickhistory said:

GG2i.jpg

Nope, that distinction would go to MotoGP umbrella girls (or brollies, as the Brits call them)!

Image result for MotoGP umbrella brollies

Plus, F1 has banned them from the grid...

Sean Bratches, managing director of commercial operations for F1, explains that the aim is to"be more in tune with our vision for this great sport. Over the last year we have looked at a number of areas which we felt needed updating. While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 Grands Prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms. We don’t believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world.”

Image result for Spicoli fag animated meme

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

There are dozens of us!

But if you’re looking for a sport with no political sellouts, F1 ain’t it. The NBA is getting a lot of shit these days for defending the Chinese government over the HK protestors, while F1 has been making deals with sketchy governments for 50 years. Apartheid South Africa, Communist Hungary, China, Russia, Bahrain, etc.

3CC2AD73-38C9-4AE6-B06F-6920B7F1CAE2.gif.046bab4bcd8ca2a6bfea42d86d08080f.gif

Combine the questionable governments with boring Tilke tracks (Sochi and China some of the worst offenders...in both categories).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, N730 said:

It's a shame Germany won't be on the calendar next year, but Sochi and other parade races are going strong.

Too true, but there's always Hanoi in 2020

This news story just released, F1 now headed to Miami?

"F1 2021 deal for Miami race at Hard Rock Stadium 'agreed in principle'"

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11836785/f1-race-at-miami-dolphins-stadium-proposed

Edited by GrndPndr
Added link for just released news story

22 hours ago, mightymighty said:

@SurelySerious they need to bring back tracks like Imola, Zandvoort, and Adelaide.  I agree the Tilke tracks are just outrageously boring. 

...I’ll bet you $50 that Zandvoort is on the calendar within a year.

2 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

This news story just released, F1 now headed to Miami?

"F1 2021 deal for Miami race at Hard Rock Stadium 'agreed in principle'"

This is going to blow. A race in Florida suburbs next to a Walmart and CVS. South Beach or nothing!

• Haha 2

This is going to blow. A race in Florida suburbs next to a Walmart and CVS. South Beach or nothing!
Hopefully it's not a reenactment of the Vegas parking lot race.

I love street courses, but they generally lead to more boring races than purpose built tracks. The exception seems to be Baku, even though it has what feels like a 5978 mile straight haha.

4 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

...I’ll bet you $50 that Zandvoort is on the calendar within a year.

I should have taken a closer look at the calendar - cant wait for that race! 

Edited by mightymighty

21 hours ago, joe1234 said:

I got into F1 because Lewis Hamilton is the coolest mofo on the planet (back when he was racing for McLaren). Now he's a virtual lock for GOAT status and I hope I can catch one his races one day.

Meh.  Very, very good, absolutely.

"Coolest?"  Not so sure about that:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7578761/F1-petrolhead-Lewis-Hamilton-tells-fans-vegan.html

Luck and timing, as always.  Imagine how some of the other drivers would do at Mercedes instead of the also-rans.  Bottas is a great example of that.  His fortunes (literally) greatly increased after going from nobody Williams (great pedigree but not competitive in a very long time) to current Mercedes drive.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 5:28 PM, brickhistory said:

Luck and timing, as always.  Imagine how some of the other drivers would do at Mercedes instead of the also-rans.  Bottas is a great example of that.  His fortunes (literally) greatly increased after going from nobody Williams (great pedigree but not competitive in a very long time) to current Mercedes drive.

Exhibit 2: Sebastian Vettel pre & post Red Bull.

As much as I can't stand Hamilton he is a phenomenal driver. Even with the equipment advantage it's hard to argue with some of his come-from-behind results going from 15+ on the grid to winning.

• Like 1