The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

6 hours ago, brabus said:

One of the best times I had in the JS was the CA and I taking about our days gone by SEA stories…unbeatable memories. I think the FOs (pure civ track guy) jaw was on the floor the whole time. Probably made him question his life decision to not go mil…or he now thinks mil guys are animals. One of the two!

First rule of mil flight club:

• You do not talk about Mil Flight Club……
  • You do NOT talk about Mil Flight Club.
  • I kid of course and your answer is true. There was a time and my mil non-flyer starter years things were out of control, not a bad thing. That Navy leak tamped things down a bit… Like College but with beer $, no retribution, no hard rules, handbooks and no video footage from strangers.🤪
Edited by AirGuardianC141747

16 hours ago, brabus said:

@Lord Ratner As long as they’re stapled, I’m all for it! Kill the regional model, pay legacy rates, and yeah the new guys will probably get RJs/717/220 only at indoc with the lowest pay rate, but they’ll be at a large carrier on the list and will bid over to larger NB soon enough (or fly one trip with CA @SocialD involving hookers and blow on a berg layover and they’ll never leave the fleet!)

Only the best Charlottesville has to offer!  Lol, when I was on the WB, I used to hate on my plane flying to the 'burgs & villes," but now they're going to have to shut this thing down to get me to leave lol.  I'll take my MSN layover over AMS any day because I wont be dead tired walking around...I just gotta bring my sunglasses.:usa:

2 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

First rule of mil flight club:

• You do not talk about Mil Flight Club……
  • You do NOT talk about Mil Flight Club.
  • I kid of course and your answer is true. There was a time and my mil non-flyer starter years things were out of control, not a bad thing. That Navy leak tamped things down a bit… Like College but with beer $, no retribution, no hard rules, handbooks and no video footage from strangers.🤪

Speaking of fight club.  Anyone see that Delta clown at the Transportation Committee Hearing?  The memes generated from this goober are hilarious!  BTW, if you didn't know, Mr Nehls has a 63 year old Delta pilot brother.  He's one of the reasons it's made it this far.  I didn't watch the hearing to know if this flexing pilot is him or not.  

O'Doyle Rulz!

Edited by SocialD

8 hours ago, SocialD said:

Only the best Charlottesville has to offer!  Lol, when I was on the WB, I used to hate on my plane flying to the 'burgs & villes," but now they're going to have to shut this thing down to get me to leave lol.  I'll take my MSN layover over AMS any day because I wont be dead tired walking around...I just gotta bring my sunglasses.:usa:

Speaking of fight club.  Anyone see that Delta clown at the Transportation Committee Hearing?  The memes generated from this goober are hilarious!  BTW, if you didn't know, Mr Nehls has a 63 year old Delta pilot brother.  He's one of the reasons it's made it this far.  I didn't watch the hearing to know if this flexing pilot is him or not.  

O'Doyle Rulz!

I'm sure his head will explode when he finds out that a lot of us don't think anyone over the age of 65 should be allowed to serve in Congress or the executive branch either.

On 2/8/2024 at 8:44 PM, SocialD said:

Good times to be had no doubt and that’s less than 2hrs from my base. Definitely less dragging around than AMS (depending on your hotel location)and as I mentioned before, Hunter B obviously has had no trouble thriving within the confines of the domestic fishbowl. Plenty of fun to be had at less dense areas and I bid for those for quiet times every so often - Half of our folks prefer hanging out downtown Sydney understandably while I chill on the beach balcony with a stogie. Currently in HKG having just flown in with a new hire just 27yrs on the planet. Hysterical watching folks broaden their horizons. Can’t imagine where he’s run off too especially during the Lunar New Year. May never see him again and I wish him well.🤣

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

SWA has suspended all classes that were scheduled to start in April or later and do not expect to start any new classes in CY24.  

That's abrupt. Did the pilot shortage disappear overnight or do they plan on getting pilots buy some other means?

42 minutes ago, gearhog said:

That's abrupt. Did the pilot shortage disappear overnight or do they plan on getting pilots buy some other means?

Pretty sure it’s because of their new 737 orders being delayed due to certification issues. 

• Upvote 2

Dang, just got booted from the employee parking due to SWA making BNA a base vs satellite or whatever location. Guess I deserve it overall as I never ask my company to book with SWA… If there were more comfortable seating, service classes and big pond crossings it would be a consideration as well as being partnering with outfits that capitalize on comfortable travel and other accoutrements. Honestly I blame BNA for once again poor financial/capacity planning. Went from $25 per month to $75, then $120 and $150 for 2025. It adds some parking tactics and seems it will work out not paying for several months in which I don’t fly out, but it was convenient.

Damn, the incompetence of Boeing strikes again.  Here's hoping its just temporary while Boeing unfucks themselves.  The max delay is having a small impact on the hiring at DAL as well, although so is the 220/321NEO engine issues.  This all probably just means that those of us on the 717 and maybe the 75/76 guys will get to stay in their fleets just a little bit longer.  Already hearing the 76 retirement is being pushed back a few more years while all these aircraft issues get worked.  

4 hours ago, brabus said:

No one will top that fini flight! (in the airlines)

Hear he is great to fly with as well.  He also wrote a book about the Viper.

Keith Rosenkranz is a retired American fighter pilot and author. As a captain in the United States Air Force, he flew 30 missions in an F-16 Fighting Falcon during the Persian Gulf War.[1] He later wrote a book about his experiences in the war, titled Vipers in the Storm: Diary of a Gulf War Fighter Pilot,[2][3] which included a foreword from Vice President Dick Cheney. Rosenkranz was interviewed twice by CNN prior to the Iraq War.[4][5] After nearly nine years, he left the military and became a longtime Delta Air Lines pilot (for 17 years as of 2009).[6][7] He wrote an article for the New York Times about the Tarnak Farm incident[1] and has been quoted in newspapers regarding other aerial accidents.[8][9]

Edited by Springer

11 hours ago, Springer said:

Retiring Delta bro goes out with a bang chartering A330 to Hawaii with fellow pilots that retired w/o a finny flight due to Covid.

Retired Delta Captain Keith Rosenkranz Charts New Territory with A… (bnnbreaking.com)

7 hours ago, gearhog said:

Hats off to that guy!

But seriously, Awesome!

2 hours ago, Springer said:

Hear he is great to fly with as well.  He also wrote a book about the Viper.

Keith Rosenkranz is a retired American fighter pilot and author. As a captain in the United States Air Force, he flew 30 missions in an F-16 Fighting Falcon during the Persian Gulf War.[1] He later wrote a book about his experiences in the war, titled Vipers in the Storm: Diary of a Gulf War Fighter Pilot,[2][3] which included a foreword from Vice President Dick Cheney. Rosenkranz was interviewed twice by CNN prior to the Iraq War.[4][5] After nearly nine years, he left the military and became a longtime Delta Air Lines pilot (for 17 years as of 2009).[6][7] He wrote an article for the New York Times about the Tarnak Farm incident[1] and has been quoted in newspapers regarding other aerial accidents.[8][9]

2 hours ago, SocialD said:

Fucking legend! 

tumblr_ma3ndmDVRP1rf9npxo1_500.gif.d7cb7bfa0c32a2fd9b5082bfa229850b.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Heard Envoy Air is flying banners directly over/near AF fields advertising pilot hiring bonuses of $100k! ...Good times, didn't see that 10+ years ago

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Swizzle said:

Heard Envoy Air is flying banners directly over/near AF fields advertising pilot hiring bonuses of $100k! ...Good times, didn't see that 10+ years ago

You’ll need a $100k bonus to pay for the psychological damage of going to Envoy from the AF. 

8 hours ago, Danger41 said:

You’ll need a $100k bonus to pay for the psychological damage of going to Envoy from the AF. 

Lol this got me wondering so I checked out their pay.  Unfortunately, the $100k bonus is for pilots with >950 hours 121 time.  But for the current pay rates are pretty awesome.  Orders dried up for a short time in 2012, so I went to Compass Airlines (no defunct) and started at $28/hr.  Envoy newhires now start at $93/hr!  My newhire pay at AAL was $52/hr and $91/hr at DAL.  FYSA, I adjusted all these number for current day inflation.  These kids are finishing college and walking straight into $100k/yr jobs...nuts.  

I wouldn't shy away from going to a places like envoy if you finished your career with no currency, or the legacies are not calling quite yet.  With the slowdown in hiring, it's bound to happen to some.  It's good money and you likely won't be there long.  Apply everywhere, but if the legacies haven't called, I wouldn't hesitate to take a regional gig.  I had a good time flying at my regional.  I'd just recommend going to one where you don't have to commute. 

As someone who has recently retired, I can say you won't miss all the bullshit captainmorgan mention.  I live under the pattern for my squadron and can watch SFO's from my back patio.  I love to watch them, but I sure don't miss it, because I know all the stress/BS/sacrifice that goes along with that flying.   They were night flying last night and when I heard the first burner light for takeoff, I raised my whiskey from my campfire in my backyard, while I was "working" (long call) at DAL...go get'em boys!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slc said:

Man I hope you were wearing your "USAF RETIRED" hat whilst sitting around that campfire lol

No retiree hat, but I was wearing a sand colored waffle shirt lol.