Tops in Blue (TIB) - WTF?

Steve Davies

Amigos, Juan Ramos esta una grande bolsa de doucha.

EDIT: Had to correct the Español.

Edited by Spoo

Muff invasion! These must be TIB washouts. Wonder if they have a soundboard dude..

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 2:30 PM

To: AUAB CAOC ALL Personnel

Subject: Camelot Band Event

ALCON,

The AFCENT Band, Mojave will perform at the Camelot Club this upcoming

weekend from 1900-2100. This is an ALL RANKS event. The Camelot staff

actually opens up the larger doors on the South end of the facility and the

band will be setup outside playing "into" the Camelot. The last event was

one of the most enjoyable evenings in a long time and we even had some guest

singers/air guitarists doing their best rock star imitations (one was a GO).

Please spread the word!

Thank you.

"Mojave is a high energy rock and roll band playing hits of the rock and roll era to today's hits. Mojave accomplishes this with talented musicians, including vocalists and a horn line. The band engages the audience with many interactive tunes and often invites audience members to the stage to perform with them"

VSU: the AFCENT Band is an incarnation of the Air Force Bands, who send rock bands to numerous forward locations to perform...nothing like Tops in Blue. Some of the bigger bases don't draw as big of a crowd (because there's a ton more stuff that goes through those locations), but the more remote spots have a great reaction as they rarely get any sort of live entertainment. As fas as "TIB washouts" though, most members of the AFCENT Bands wouldn't be caught anywhere near a TIB show... plus there's no costumes or silly dancing with jazz hands or spirit fingers.

Edited by airmanjerm

Of all the luck...got to Barksdale last night, walked into the O Club and what's one of the first things I see? "Tops in Blue, performing August 15th". FML...

Hmmm..this sounds like it could be a golden opportunity for some well-placed shenanigans by the LPA.

Edited by pawnman

Here at Columbus there are posters all over the place reminding us of the TIB "World Tour 2009, TO DREAM!" There are even some volunteer opportunities associated with the show. If someones OPR/EPR is hurting that bad that the need a bullet from that, God help them.

Of all the luck...got to Barksdale last night, walked into the O Club and what's one of the first things I see? "Tops in Blue, performing August 15th". FML...

Ya tell me about it.. I noticed the gigantic banner draped across the fence on the main road by the flightline over by the 93rd. Kind of ironic that there was an old Buff on the other side of the fence with the ass end opened up getting a MX enema. It's just another reminder where the priorities of the AF are right now.. shameful

If I can get a band together by the 15th I'll gladly go over to the O'club and play some Social D covers to show them up :rock:

Here at Columbus there are posters all over the place reminding us of the TIB "World Tour 2009, TO DREAM!" There are even some volunteer opportunities associated with the show. If someones OPR/EPR is hurting that bad that the need a bullet from that, God help them.

God, a couple years ago at CBM TIB was taking up half of the BX parking lot with their tour buses and semi truck. I made the following mistakes:

1) I drove within 100 yards of the prestigious group and 2) Walked within 75 yards to thy holiness. God, I loved how the TIB SrA went off on my audacity to drive SO CLOSE and walk in their territory. UFB.

God, a couple years ago at CBM TIB was taking up half of the BX parking lot with their tour buses and semi truck. I made the following mistakes:

1) I drove within 100 yards of the prestigious group and 2) Walked within 75 yards to thy holiness. God, I loved how the TIB SrA went off on my audacity to drive SO CLOSE and walk in their territory. UFB.

I don't want to know what I would do if some SrA went off on me...let alone one in TIB. It would get ugly fast...

There are ALOT of musicians and bands in the States who would jump on the chance for a paid tour overseas to a guaranteed good audience with good pay and free publicity. The USAF does NOT need to be using its money on this bullsh*t, they should be paying born-and-raised professional (and struggling) musicians to do what they love doing.

I met the guys from Hollowell in Baghdad before their show at Ali, and they were a good group. Their story is common- traveling musicians in the USA have a tough life, and getting paid good money to perform for our guys and get loads of free publicity is a great move for them.

Leave the gov't paychecks to people actually hacking a mission, pay the willing civilians to do the rest. Oh, and put some young CGO's or Airmen in charge of the selection process- they know a helluva lot more about what the troops are going to enjoy watching than the 40+ O-6's.

There are ALOT of musicians and bands in the States who would jump on the chance for a paid tour overseas to a guaranteed good audience with good pay and free publicity. The USAF does NOT need to be using its money on this bullsh*t, they should be paying born-and-raised professional (and struggling) musicians to do what they love doing.

I met the guys from Hollowell in Baghdad before their show at Ali, and they were a good group. Their story is common- traveling musicians in the USA have a tough life, and getting paid good money to perform for our guys and get loads of free publicity is a great move for them.

Leave the gov't paychecks to people actually hacking a mission, pay the willing civilians to do the rest. Oh, and put some young CGO's or Airmen in charge of the selection process- they know a helluva lot more about what the troops are going to enjoy watching than the 40+ O-6's.

This might be the best post in this thread, and I didn't want it lost in the pages of shittin on TIB. TIB deserves to be shit on, but your post actually has a solution to the absurd argument that troops (or anyone) wants to see TIB as R&R. There are tons of great groups with good music who would make full use of the opportunity to tour overseas to a captive audience, and conversly there are tons of dudes overseas who would love to see a group of real musicians who don't humiliate the Air Force by prancing around like faggots at burning man. Like a lot of problems in the AF, rated CGOs would fix this quick!

Submit AFF1000. :beer:

Oh, the shenanigans that coudl insue...I just PCSed to Barksdale, and like I said in an above post, Tops in Blue is performing here I think tomorrow. Well, I'm in the VOQ for a few days till my apartment is ready, and guess who's staying here too? Yep...those guys. Their gaudy-ass tour bus with it's fake Oscar looking thing on the side is right outside my window. Can we write them up for fraud, waist and abuse for that thing?

Can we write them up for fraud, waist and abuse for that thing?

The entire operation is a giant FW&A case...

Still working on the SITREP - I haven't forgotten about it.

• 3 months later...