C-17 McChord

T-6 Laughlin (x2)

KC-46 McGuire

KC-135 Mildenhall

C-17 Charleston

T-38 Laughlin

C-17 Dover

F-35 TBD

Aside from the Offutt tube-of-shame, that's a great drop!

16 hours ago, fritz51 said:

Feel like I’ll catch some shit for this Q but has anyone heard of a C-130 or other heavy airframe ANG/Reserve hire going to ENJJPT or track selecting T-38?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Yes it’s happened in the last decade at SUPT bases.

The guard student was top of the class and there was excess T-38 capacity and the T-6 IPs worked with AETC, NGB, and  the gaining unit.

We got the student a fighter assignment. 

No it won’t happen again because there isn’t T-38 capacity. 

On 4/25/2023 at 2:57 PM, fritz51 said:

What about ENJJPT? There seems to be occasional heavy drops from there and I’m sure the mission of the program isn’t philosophically exclusive to fighters.

The only heavy drops from ENJJPT result from pretty extreme special considerations. There has only been one or two in the last several years. The mission of the program is actually quite philosophically exclusive to fighters. The mission of the program is to be the world's premier fighter pilot training program.

Edited by saltystud

7 hours ago, saltystud said:

The only heavy drops from ENJJPT result from pretty extreme special considerations

Historically, yes. But keep in mind there were several years where half the class got heavies/FAIP. It was a weird period for ENJJPT for sure, but things happen. Fighters aren’t a guarantee for any young lurkers reading this. 

13 hours ago, saltystud said:

The only heavy drops from ENJJPT result from pretty extreme special considerations. There has only been one or two in the last several years. The mission of the program is actually quite philosophically exclusive to fighters. The mission of the program is to be the world's premier fighter pilot training program.

I know an active duty gentleman who went helicopters from ENJJPT.  This was around 2008-2009.  

Edited by Biff_T

44 minutes ago, DonnieDucko said:

I am genuinely curious as to why that drop is so disliked…

11Rs generally struggle to gain relevance in the flying community. They are continually relegated to bus drivers with little buy-in to the mission, very little tactical mentoring, and low opportunity for career broadening. They also tend to get pigeon holed into assignments because according to AFPC there is 0 transferability from an RC-135 to a KC-135. So unless you really love Omaha you really don't have a lot of future to go anywhere else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brabus said:

Historically, yes. But keep in mind there were several years where half the class got heavies/FAIP. It was a weird period for ENJJPT for sure, but things happen. Fighters aren’t a guarantee for any young lurkers reading this. 

First drop I witnessed at SPS was 5 x UAV, 5 x U-28/PC-12, a FAIP, 1 x B-52, and 1 x F-15E.

I also say this as a graduate of ENJJPT, the fact that people are much more likely to drop fighters based on their ability to do well in college/OTS is a joke. It’s how you end up with folks that fly fighters instead of fighter pilots (massive difference). 

I stopped through SPS awhile back and overheard a student say something to the effect of he didn’t have to excel just survive to end up in a Viper. I wanted to choke slam him.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

11Rs generally struggle to gain relevance in the flying community. They are continually relegated to bus drivers with little buy-in to the mission, very little tactical mentoring, and low opportunity for career broadening. They also tend to get pigeon holed into assignments because according to AFPC there is 0 transferability from an RC-135 to a KC-135. So unless you really love Omaha you really don't have a lot of future to go anywhere else. 

Thank you for the detailed reply. I can see why many people avoid it if they are looking for more excitement. At least homesteading in Omaha will sit well with most families!

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

First drop I witnessed at SPS was 5 x UAV, 5 x U-28/PC-12, a FAIP, 1 x B-52, and 1 x F-15E.

I also say this as a graduate of ENJJPT, the fact that people are much more likely to drop fighters based on their ability to do well in college/OTS is a joke. It’s how you end up with folks that fly fighters instead of fighter pilots (massive difference). 

I stopped through SPS awhile back and overheard a student say something to the effect of he didn’t have to excel just survive to end up in a Viper. I wanted to choke slam him.

Lol. Heard that plenty from guard bums. Regardless, I do not miss those days (all UAV's / AFSOC) I chuckled a decade later when the AF was suddenly hurting for fighter pilots at the FGO level. I mean like.... they did it to themselves. 

2 minutes ago, DonnieDucko said:

Thank you for the detailed reply. I can see why many people avoid it if they are looking for more excitement. At least homesteading in Omaha will sit well with most families!

This is true, but remember that's minority of UPT students who are usually in their early 20s, at the bud of their career, and making decent money for the first time in their life. The last thing they want to do is think about a family, and the dating scene in Omaha isn't for everyone either. 

Edited by FLEA

1 minute ago, FLEA said:

Lol. Heard that plenty from guard bums. Regardless, I do not miss those days (all UAV's / NSAv) 

This is true, but remember that's minority of UPT students who are usually in their early 20s, at the bud of their career, and making decent money for the first time in their life. The last thing they want to do is think about a family, and the dating scene in Omaha isn't for everyone either. 

Too true! I am an older married guy going to UPT in the fall and after 4 bases in the last 8 years, the thought of one base for over 4 brings me blissful joy hahaha!

17 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Don't worry I've been hearing this in the flight rooms at END as well now. The students know don't be top half because then their not FAIP eligible but don't be bottom so you don't get BUFF'd

58 minutes ago, Air_Space said:

The students know don't be top half because then their not FAIP eligible but don't be bottom so you don't get BUFF'd

The last guy in my class got FAIP, even though we also had heard you needed to be in top half. So, don’t count that one as a hard line in the sand!

10 hours ago, Air_Space said:

Don't worry I've been hearing this in the flight rooms at END as well now. The students know don't be top half because then their not FAIP eligible but don't be bottom so you don't get BUFF'd

Sounds like it’s time to shoot a hostage and wash a guy out for military CAP type reasons.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 4/30/2023 at 1:51 PM, Danger41 said:

It’s how you end up with folks that fly fighters instead of fighter pilots (massive difference). 

Oh it's been noted. I'll leave this PSA on here for those getting ideas from said demographic you highlight: We recently FEB'd an 11F from PIT.

Most people in this enterprise know how statistically outlier that is, if they have been doing this longer than a tour. And the reasons for that being the COA have much more to do with outlook and attitude, than any intent on the part of 19th to make an example out of anyone. This is unprecedented, especially given the background. 

BL, let it be a warning, approaching a formal AETC course like this is either beneath you or not about you, is not going to get you back to "your fighter". A real bum's bet to even think AETC would go for something like that. Yet some fucked around and found out. 

In the words of Alonzo

Shit-the-cops GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, hindsight2020 said:

We recently FEB'd an 11F from PIT.

Good to hear someone has balls to make the call at least every once in a while. Sounds like a douche getting exactly what was coming his way. 

• Upvote 2

Wish some commanders would have had the balls for that when RPA's were a thing. We had a lot of bad attitudes that rolled through there. I was really disgruntled that many of them ended up getting premium follow-ons after being a liability on their bro's for 3-4 years when they didn't want to pull their weight in the squadron. I get that nobody's first choice is to be there but FFS it wasn't the worst thing in the world and the mission was important. 

On 4/30/2023 at 3:06 AM, saltystud said:

Plus of ENJJPT is some lower quality studs get fighters which forces some higher quality into heavies at the SUPT bases. Obviously not the best if they want fighters but it helps a little with the spread.

• Upvote 1