CCW Choice

herkbum

I carry the P365X. Phenomenal gun. I recommend going to a range and trying the 365, 365x, and 365x-macro. If they have one with a red or Green Dot sight on it, give it a try. I was very skeptical of pistol mounted optics, doubly so for concealed carry, but it took all of one day to make me a convert. The technology is great.

There's a reason it's the most popular gun in America right now.

We are probably going to need a separate thread for "DPRK compliant handguns". 

Beale BX actually has a small gun selection with some. 

Edited by HuggyU2

Try to at least hold and dry fire a few types. Buy the one that feels most comfortable/gives you the most control - that’s the one you’ll shoot best. If you get a super compact where your pinkie isn’t even on the grip, it feels like you’re holding a gun made for kid hands, etc…that’s not the best choice for you personally. Can’t really go wrong with Glock, Sig, S&W.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HossHarris said:

3” stainless 1911. 

if you need more than 8, you’ve got bigger problems 

I absolutely hate 1911s for carry weapons. External safety, external hammer, hair trigger pull, low ammo for the footprint.

I do like that the single stack magazine makes it thin, but there's a reason you don't see many Mil/Leo professionals using a 1911 on duty. Or 45ACP for that matter.

And if you need more than 8 you're probably trying to take down a shooter at longer range. Like this dude. Amazing shot, he didn't need the extra rounds at 40 yards, but I probably would 🤣: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/indiana-mall-shooting-elisjsha-dicken-neutralized-gunman-15-seconds/

Damn beautiful guns though.

3 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

I absolutely hate 1911s for carry weapons. External safety, external hammer, hair trigger pull, low ammo for the footprint.

External safety is a training issue, but sure, personal preference...

Why does an external hammer matter to you?

4.5lbs (avg factory setting) is hardly a hair trigger.

Agreed 100% on capacity issue.  I'd want more rounds, if I wound up in a fight.

• Upvote 1

I have been carrying the Hellcat for years, bought the P365X and put a Holosun on it.  I typically grab the Hellcat, feels more natural and easier to conceal than the 365.  I probably need a new holster for the 365.  Both are great, I have very large hands and both have slightly larger grips so I feel like I have better hand position.

Anyone carry a bigger weapons in their vehicle?  I have a bag on the back of the passenger seat with a Ruger PC Charger...love the gun.  Folding stock keeps it very small and maneuverable.  Accepts the Glock 30 round Mags, keep three in the bag which is a lot of firepower to beat down the zombies and get back to my bunker.

• Like 1

I have the original SIG 365 as my go to CCW for it's, but I also really like the S&W 642 airweight for simplicity and reliability.

4 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

I have been carrying the Hellcat for years, bought the P365X and put a Holosun on it.  I typically grab the Hellcat, feels more natural and easier to conceal than the 365.  I probably need a new holster for the 365.  Both are great, I have very large hands and both have slightly larger grips so I feel like I have better hand position.

Anyone carry a bigger weapons in their vehicle?  I have a bag on the back of the passenger seat with a Ruger PC Charger...love the gun.  Folding stock keeps it very small and maneuverable.  Accepts the Glock 30 round Mags, keep three in the bag which is a lot of firepower to beat down the zombies and get back to my bunker.

I also have the PC charger with that brace. I think it may have been that exact YT review that convinced me.  I have a Sig Romeo and ordered a Silencer Central Banish 30 can for it back in Jan. Hope it gets here soon. I'd like to swap out the forward grip stop for something more substantial, but not sure what I can get away with.

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

Ruger PC Charger

I have a Ruger PC Carbine.  Different gun but still a fun one.  9mm as well.   Nice to use the same ammo as my M9.  Laugh all you want.. the M9 is a beast.   The Ruger PC Carbine also comes with an adapter for glock magazines.   

However, I like to hide a Mossberg 500 410 with a pistol grip under my trench coat.  Every other round a slug.  It's a baby gun but the bad guys' bodies cant tell the difference between a 410 slug and a 44.  

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Anyone carry a bigger weapons in their vehicle?  

My truck gun these days...

PSA 11.5'' Classic Stealth Pistol Carbine (2).jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, raimius said:

I like a carry gun to be as sleek as possible, minimize the things that can catch on clothing. I don't like single/double actions either. I used to think it was great when I primarily shot a SIG P229, but since moving to striker-fired (always single action) I've been converted. That's something I do like about a 1911, every trigger pull is the same force.

External safeties are (in my opinion) for guns I don't want to unload/unchamber between uses. Trap shooting, hunting, etc. For a carry gun it's just something that can be in the wrong position and hinder a stressful and time sensitive use. If the gun is out of the holster that means it's time to shoot. Same theory behind carrying one in the chamber. Of course that means any holster must have complete trigger coverage, but that's pretty normal.

Hair trigger: You're right, what I really was meaning to say is that the pull distance is so short. I like there to be some movement in the trigger since with a carry gun there are many scenarios where your finger is on the trigger but not firing.

Obviously that's my preference, I don't think it's unsafe for a trained and competent shooter to carry a 1911, I just think most people carry them because they are cool (they are) or it's what they are used to, when there are much better options. Again, 1911 use in Mil/LEO is practically zero for a reason.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I just got a Sig Rattler LT with the 6.75" barrel. Haven't got it dressed up yet, and I'm still on the fence between keeping it a pistol or getting an NFA stamp for better stock options. Hopefully the court cases work out to beat back the SBR rules a bit.

That Ruger looks sick.

8 hours ago, raimius said:

As opposed to a Glock with no safety?

and a steel 1911 makes a fine blunt implement if you run out of BBs. Plastic guns don’t. 

Edited by HossHarris

8 hours ago, raimius said:

One more thing to snag on clothing or dig into your body, especially considering many carry with the hammer back. My opinion is simple is better, especially in high stress situations, which is why striker fired is generally better suited for most people. But, all training and personal pref as you said, so totally support people carrying whatever they want - just train and maintain proficiency. 

• Upvote 1

I have a full-size and more compact option depending on what clothing I wear or what situation I'm in. The full-size is a Sig P320 M18 model because I'm clearly a glutton for punishment. The other handgun I occasionally use is an M&P Shield 1.0. The truth is its harder to stay proficient with a small handgun like the shield, so I find myself more comfortable with the P320.

and a steel 1911 makes a fine blunt implement if you run out of BBs. Plastic guns don’t. 

I can assure you even empty a full frame plastic pistol will effectively pistol-whip somebody if that’s what you’re down to.

Polymers don’t quick give the way an eye socket does. And the barrel is great for an in hand smash grip. Doesn’t feel as natural as a full frame metal or revolver, but it’s still way harder than your fist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XDS Mod 2 for normal carry, LCP for summer work out shorts carry.  XDS is a good tradeoff between weight, bulk, capacity, accuracy, and firepower for me.  LCP because a 380 with buffalo bore ammo is better than nothing if you wouldn't have otherwise carried.

I am looking at a truck gun and that Ruger PC Charge is interesting.  But I already have two of the previously pistol brace Form 1s that I'm looking to mod into a folding stock if any of the companies that make bufferless uppers or BCGs would ever have those things in stock. 

2 hours ago, HossHarris said:

image.gif.8cbafcac25d1d24b9e00bb62d9cc0558.gif

Grab a 'plastic' gun and smash yourself in the skull.  Tell me how it turns out.

image.gif.c0168d710038ce7d6ecfa57b315192aa.gif

Also, obligatory quote

Edited by uhhello
  • Haha 1

I run the Glock 48 MOS. No red-dot yet. Handy and dependable.  I debated between one of the 365 models (likely the macro) or the G48.  In the end the budget won out as I got a nice military discount on the 48.  $450 out the door while the 365 macro was over $800 at the time.  Still want to get the sig, but I also have teenage kids to feed.  Choices.

Edited by FourFans

G48 with a vortex defender is my carry gun. Put a better trigger on it to really up the awesomeness. I’ve also had good luck with Shield Arms S15 mags…31 rds on me at all times, even in shorts and t-shirt. 

• Upvote 1