On the struggle bus at UPT, heading for a CR

admdelta

24 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

If you decide to not go the CSO route, give a serious look into Cyber Ops. Hugely impactful career field and will set you up very well for post-AF career.

How so? Genuinely curious. 

I see a lot of guard units have Cyber Operation squadrons but I have absolutely no clue what they do. 

14 minutes ago, Standby said:

If you have to ask big man, you can’t afford it. 

Lol. Comon’ tell me! I’ll tell you my secrets. 

OP, you’re going to do great stuff man. I assume you’re guard/AFRC, take a breath and find a gig somewhere in the country you and your wife (husband whatever) want to live. It’s a good way to generate some excitement about your next career move. 

My aircraft has CSOs on it, they do great work and have a good time. If ops pacing isn’t your strong suit go try Cyber and live somewhere dope, whatever that location means to you. 

1 hour ago, Props said:

How so? Genuinely curious. 

I see a lot of guard units have Cyber Operation squadrons but I have absolutely no clue what they do. 

It’s not even the way of the future as much as it’s the way of the now in all aspects of life. As everything has become more networked, it gives access to so many things that we wouldn’t have had access to before and is one of those inflection point type things they mentioned in PME. It can do everything from ISR to SEAD/OCA (why send the gorilla package to clear the lane when you just turn off the fuel pumps at the base?) to nearly every other core function of the military. If you have a chance, look at the SOCOM budget allocation for cyber compared to airborne ISR compared to 10 years ago.

Our cyber enterprise has a hell of a retention problem similar to pilots because of what you can make on the outside, especially with a clearance.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

It’s not even the way of the future as much as it’s the way of the now in all aspects of life. As everything has become more networked, it gives access to so many things that we wouldn’t have had access to before and is one of those inflection point type things they mentioned in PME. It can do everything from ISR to SEAD/OCA (why send the gorilla package to clear the lane when you just turn off the fuel pumps at the base?) to nearly every other core function of the military. If you have a chance, look at the SOCOM budget allocation for cyber compared to airborne ISR compared to 10 years ago.

Our cyber enterprise has a hell of a retention problem similar to pilots because of what you can make on the outside, especially with a clearance.

As someone with a masters in cybersecurity from a T-25 school, go into cybsercurity policy if you do that. There's a big shift into having AI do more of the blue-collar cybersecurity stuff.

17 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

As someone with a masters in cybersecurity from a T-25 school, go into cybsercurity policy if you do that. There's a big shift into having AI do more of the blue-collar cybersecurity stuff.

What could possibly go wrong with that shift. 

(terminator meme)

On 12/23/2023 at 11:30 AM, Danger41 said:

If you decide to not go the CSO route, give a serious look into Cyber Ops. Hugely impactful career field and will set you up very well for post-AF career.

This. Also got the 6-month UPT tour and ran into some med issues which found me getting reclass'd. Went into cyber, the AF let me do some really cool stuff for awhile, then punched to the reserves to take those skills to the outside where I've done really well.

Not everyone goes to the big FAANG companies, but getting the AF to pay to get the cyber ops/cyber security stink and experience opens up a world of possibilities post-AF that many of my commissioning class who got out just haven't had. And it's a broad enough field that you can find something you enjoy with the training they give you.

On 12/23/2023 at 10:30 AM, Danger41 said:

Might definitely look into that since I found out that I’m getting explicitly recommended not to be reclassed into a rated job as it turns out. So that’s an extra gut punch for me since I was getting excited about that, but cyber sounds pretty sweet from what everyone’s saying. 

That’s a tough development. Sorry to hear that. Whatever you end up doing, know that the Air Force needs studs at every AFSC. You can make a giant difference in mission and morale by your competence and leadership in support roles.

Quick story…WW2 kicks off and my grandpa, his cousins, and brother all left their town of Lakeside, SD (population N/A because it was just an incorporated farming community) to sign up. My grandpa only had a 9th grade education and wouldn’t be accepted by any service but the Merchant Marines as a baker. He was very disappointed but did his best. Fast forward to 1944 off the Philippines when Typhoon Cobra hit (3 destroyers sank, over 700 killed). From his rodeo background, he was one of the only guys that wasn’t violently ill and ended up relaying the orders to help control the ship and save the crew. He was also the POC from the ship to Admiral Halsey and was personally cited for heroism and exceptional performance by Halsey after the typhoon. 

The whole point of this story is that I don’t know if there can be much more disappointment after Pearl Harbor than being told you’re too dumb to do anything in the military and can only bake bread for the Merchant Marines. However, you never know when your number will be called. Even if that had never happened, baking bread and providing good food for men is a worthwhile and important role that you should be proud of.

Whatever you end up doing, it is also a worthwhile role and an honorable profession that deserves your best effort. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Get a guard job doing mx or something related to flying.   

Hang with the pilots and aircrew (pointy nose or enlisted guys showing you their ballsack from chalk 2 position 50 feet (lol 50 feet sometimes divided by 10) i saw gray ball hair.   😆 

Get a job flying wherever they fly .

UPS, Fire bombing, Flying gay helicopters into hairy shit and pulling dudes off ...thats the best.  Pulling men off lol.   

Or.  Fly for fun.

You'd be a good asset to the USAF with the knowledge you gained in UPT.   Regardless if you finish. 

I repspect all my bros.   Even the ones who became intel and.mx.officers or CROs and even missileer.    Do they still wear bags?  

You'll be fine.  

I wanted to be an NBA player but I remembered that im 5'8" (almost 69).

You're gonna be fine.

I never got to go to UPT. Did the CSO thing, and had a good time in the Buff for over a decade. Covered most the Pacific, sent some ISIS goons to goat paradise. You can still fly and have a good career. Or…

I got my CFI, taught on the side and built hours. Now I’ve got my ATP and I’m flying charter, building lots of time and trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up 😂 

You’re going to have opportunities, no matter what. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

I never got to go to UPT. Did the CSO thing, and had a good time in the Buff for over a decade. Covered most the Pacific, sent some ISIS goons to goat paradise. You can still fly and have a good career. Or…

I got my CFI, taught on the side and built hours. Now I’ve got my ATP and I’m flying charter, building lots of time and trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up 😂 

This!!!

Hell yeah 08Dawg!

17 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

OP, I would definitely look at your civilian opportunities to fly down the road. You will make more money at the airlines and have a better quality of life. Airlines are still hiring pretty well with all the retirements. Don’t beat yourself up too much over this. Other opportunities are out there.

Edited by Rated Flyer 4 Life

On 12/25/2023 at 12:51 PM, admdelta said:

Might definitely look into that since I found out that I’m getting explicitly recommended not to be reclassed into a rated job as it turns out. So that’s an extra gut punch for me since I was getting excited about that, but cyber sounds pretty sweet from what everyone’s saying. 

Are you in the guard? 

On 12/25/2023 at 9:47 PM, Biff_T said:

UPS, Fire bombing, Flying gay helicopters into hairy shit and pulling dudes off ...thats the best.  Pulling men off lol.   

Befriended a one-striper w/glasses on my first flying assignment in Germany.  Had him over for dinner a few times then lost track after new assignment.  Years later he found me. Just retired from "Flying gay helicopters into hairy shit."  Pics of him flying below.

short.jpg

firefirghter.jpg

19275148_123316104929003_1598039472259527909_n.jpg

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, M2 said:

Holy shit, B@iff_T!  How about manscaping that profile block a bit! 🤣🤣🤣

image.png.2f92e06ae960f2c338e982c5e258bcab.png

I have no idea what I was typing a few nights ago.

Edit: That was SrA Biff.  I was hanging with some family and he came by to say hello.  He's upset that you cant buy penthouse on base anymore.  

Edited by Biff_T
Afterthought
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear about your situation. I lived through this with many friends washing out of my class. A few went to 89 rides and made it. I always told them that I don’t think I could have handled the stress of an 89 ride.  If it makes you feel any better, and I doubt it will,  UPT gets a lot harder, more so in the “everyone flew T-38 days”. If you struggled with landing a T-6, you may have killed yourself, or your IP, in a -38. 
  As far as your next step, I agree with what the others have said, I know a few guys who washed out and are enjoying a great career at the Airlines. I also know a few guys who are very wealthy and are in the cybersecurity field..  Good luck.

Edited by Vito

56 minutes ago, Vito said:

Sorry to hear about your situation. I lived through this with many friends washing out of my class. A few went to 89 rides and made it. I always told them that I don’t think I could have handled the stress of an 89 ride.  If it makes you feel any better, and I doubt it will, but UPT gets a lot harder, more so in the “everyone flew T-38 days”. If you struggled with landing a T-6, you may have killed yourself, or your IP, in a -38. 
  As far as your next step, I agree with what the others have said, I know a few guys who washed out and are enjoying a great career at the Airlines. I also know a few guys who are very wealthy and are in the cybersecurity field..  Good luck.

This.  

Break, Break

You're gonna be fine.  Seriously look at what @Springer said too.  

You get to see titties in civilian helos also, those 6 fingered bithes don't care what you fly.  Neither should you.  

Helos are fun but.  For real.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 2:41 PM, Sua Sponte said:

On 12/24/2023 at 8:03 AM, HossHarris said:

What could possibly go wrong with that shift. 

(terminator meme)

OP,

I can see you in 20 years leading a fleet of AI operated military aircraft on the way to world dominance. 

Pilot? What pilot?

I hope you'll be a benevolent overlord.😁

• 4 weeks later...

It’ll work out man, it seems like you have the attitude to get past it. There’s a lot of different cool things to go do in the AF that you haven’t even heard of yet. 

I got a pilot slot out of ROTC, going to fly was all I wanted to do after going to AirVenture for the first time when I was 4. Got my shot, but it turns out I spend more time throwing up in the jet than I do flying it and it was “suggested” I find something else to go do. Part way through the process it was hard to deal with as I realized it wasn’t going to work. When I finally had to sit down with the CC and he told me I wasn’t going to be allowed to solo and I was done, I was honestly relieved. Throwing up every day, losing 30lbs from not being able to eat killed my desire to do it at some point. I also was ineligible for any other rated jobs.  

Met a reclass board, ended up elsewhere and turns out it worked out awesome. I’ve gotten to do some wild stuff that I wouldn’t have been able to do if I was flying. It’s all what you make of it, and hey, if whatever you end up doing isn’t your cup of tea, you don’t have to wait around for 10 years to punch. 

• Upvote 2