The meaning of life and other ill shit

On 5/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, Prosuper said:

Psalm 139:13-16 

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

that's great, but in the same way you probably don't base your life on lord of the rings books, a good amount of us consider the bible/any religious text to be complete fiction. 🍻

if you want to life your life based on those principles, have at it.

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2021 at 8:35 AM, HossHarris said:

I’ve yet to meet a violently pro-life individual that has adopted kids. 

im sure they exist … I just haven’t met one. 

Overwhelmingly the people I've met who have adopted have been pro-life. Most have been deeply religious.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Day Man said:

that's great, but in the same way you probably don't base your life on lord of the rings books, a good amount of us consider the bible/any religious text to be complete fiction. 🍻

I think he was responding to this

On 5/10/2021 at 9:59 PM, di1630 said:

I ask my religious friends where in the Bible it talks about abortion...the conversation goes off the subjective rails from there.

And this is the best summation of the debate. When you know you're arguing for something uncomfortable, it's easier to just pretend it's not a real consideration.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:26 PM, lloyd christmas said:

Pro-abortion people know that abortion takes a life.  They just choose to direct the conversation somewhere else because most people don’t have the courage or intellectual honesty to just say that they believe in abortion for convenience whether it kills a baby or not.  I’d have more respect for their argument if they did.

Pro-gun folks (which I am) do this with mass murder all the time. "But knives kill people too!!" Yeah, dingus, but not as easily. The Vegas Shooter, Quest nightclub, Ft Hood, Columbine, Sandy Hook, etc etc... None of those would have had nearly the same fatality rate with a knife. Guns should still be legal. Freedom is paid for in blood, and it's always less that the blood price of tyranny.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:56 AM, Lord Ratner said:

Pro-gun folks (which I am) do this with mass murder all the time. "But knives kill people too!!" Yeah, dingus, but not as easily. The Vegas Shooter, Quest nightclub, Ft Hood, Columbine, Sandy Hook, etc etc... None of those would have had nearly the same fatality rate with a knife. Guns should still be legal. Freedom is paid for in blood, and it's always less that the blood price of tyranny.

You think pro gun folks don’t have the courage or intellectual honesty to condemn mass shootings?  I’m struggling to understand the connection here.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lloyd christmas said:

You think pro gun folks don’t have the courage or intellectual honesty to condemn mass shootings?  I’m struggling to understand the connection here.  

Ditto, and if it comes to mass "killings," emphasis should be on cancer, heart disease, auto accidents, drug abuse and the plethora of other causes which take far more people out than shootings!

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/dataview/how-americans-die/

Of all the ways to leave this life, being a victim of a mass shooting is pretty far down the list of things to actually worry about!

That narrative is about as ridiculous as certain ethnic groups who worry about being shot by the police.  Facts show they are much more likely to lose their lives from a variety of other situations, but we all know that claim is not the driving force behind the movement!

But never let a good crisis go to waste!

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, M2 said:

Ditto, and if it comes to mass "killings," emphasis should be on cancer, heart disease, auto accidents, drug abuse and the plethora of other causes which take far more people out than shootings!

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/dataview/how-americans-die/

Of all the ways to leave this life, being a victim of a mass shooting is pretty far down the list of things to actually worry about!

That narrative is about as ridiculous as certain ethnic groups who worry about being shot by the police.  Facts show they are much more likely to lose their lives from a variety of other situations, but we all know that claim is not the driving force behind the movement!

But never let a good crisis go to waste!

I know you probably don’t mean it this way, but it sounds like your argument is that because natural causes cause more deaths, we should turn a blind eye to mass shootings. That’s like saying seatbelts are unnecessary because you’re more likely to get taken out by cancer. FWIW, I support your right to own a firearm, but just because there are bigger killers out there that doesn’t mean that mass shootings aren’t an issue that deserves attention. 

On 5/13/2021 at 8:19 PM, Day Man said:

Another fairy tale, we live in a Constitutional Republic and not a oligarchy and Joe Biden got 80 million votes. I'll stick with what I have faith in, God and congress is the best that money can buy.

18 hours ago, Prozac said:

I know you probably don’t mean it this way, but it sounds like your argument is that because natural causes cause more deaths, we should turn a blind eye to mass shootings. That’s like saying seatbelts are unnecessary because you’re more likely to get taken out by cancer. FWIW, I support your right to own a firearm, but just because there are bigger killers out there that doesn’t mean that mass shootings aren’t an issue that deserves attention. 

I don't believe car accidents, drug abuse, heart disease, etc. are "natural causes;" nor do I believe any criminal act should be ignored.

My point is the odds of being a victim of a mass shooting is much lower than it's being made out, just as claims certain minorities are being "targeted" by the police.

People are not presenting compelling arguments based on facts, but media hype.  

My advice to them, to quote a caveman, is "Maybe next time you should do a little research."

The truth is out there, but many will still ignore it!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 9:25 AM, lloyd christmas said:

What? 

Condemning them it's easy. Admitting that your stance on firearms *enables* a higher death count in violent events, yet you support it anyways, is not. 

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

What? 

Condemning them it's easy. Admitting that your stance on firearms *enables* a higher death count in violent events, yet you support it anyways, is not. 

My original post that you quoted spoke of distractions from the abortion argument.  And we are talking about mass shootings.  

7 hours ago, lloyd christmas said:

My original post that you quoted spoke of distractions from the abortion argument.  And we are talking about mass shootings.  

Yes, exactly. You talked about lacking the moral courage in having an honest discussion. I quoted what you said and gave another example of the phenomenon, since comparison is valuable when discussing such things. It also demonstrates that the phenomenon is not limited to the abortion debate, or the political left. 

Good talk.