The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Down to my last pair of issued tan flight boots/bricks and based on the weight no wonder they were free. Lucky to have received so much overage before you had to buy them yourselves.  Still use a decades old LBE from early army training when plinking targets on my neighbors farm. Current tac belt is nice, but the LBE just works when strolling around extra pellets. Very few items I still use like the waffle shirt after retirement as the rest was unleashed to a local Army/Navy store or dumpster many years ago. 

*Not a scarf or were they called neckerchief to be seen.😜

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

On 3/16/2024 at 2:26 PM, brabus said:

D7BE3D4D-541E-4AF8-B6E7-37F3938E3D7A.jpeg.aeeccd26dfa25b9ae8a332c94959cc1f.jpeg

So how good was the flight attendant “mishap” before the unintentional decent?!

Teeth? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, ViperMan said:

Grabbed the wrong stick?

Ha! 
In reality apparently there is an electric rocker switch on the top of the seat with a cover to move the seat in and out while your are standing. The switch was loose allowing the cover to activate the switch when the FA put their hand on the back of the seat. Drove the pilot right into the yoke and kicked off the AP with considerable nose down input to the yoke!

I've flown the 787 for 5 years.  That switch cover is spring loaded closed and the rocker switch is recessed under it so the switch would be difficult to lean on even without the cover.  The seat doesn't move that quickly so having a tray on your lap and not getting the tray out of the way before it contacts the yoke seems fishy, also.  It takes 80lbs of force on the yoke to disconnect the autopilot so you really got to push hard.

A more plausible scenario involves a crew swap.  Someone getting into or out of the seat tripped, stumbled, etc. and fell into or grabbed the yoke.  That's my guess anyway.

As a general rule, I avoid flying an airline that is based in a country where I can't drink the tap water.

LATAM FO hiring requirements:

Be at least 20 years old.

Have a Commercial Pilot License or PCA.

Have 150 flight hours or more.

Have ICAO English Level 4 or higher.

Have a current Medical Certificate.

Have an IFR qualification.

Have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months.

Have a B1/B2 Visa for the United States.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I recently was flying on Denver Air Connection and the pilots got lost on the ground lol. Easy mistake that I'm sure no one else caught but I couldn't help but laugh. And those ladies had at least 750 for restricted ATP's.

The key to getting lost on the airport is to never admit it.  Just keep moving and hope you figure it out soon.  

A few days ago in CAE, we had a Bonanza request progressive after receiving one of the easiest taxi instructions I've ever heard.  Tower, keyed the mic 3 or 4 times (likely thinking WTF) and finally said just follow the 717.  We taxied an little further ahead and made a right on to the runway.  I'm guessing their iPad died 🤣.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, brabus said:

150 hrs gets you in the right seat?! Yep, never flying those guys.

Agree wholeheartedly. Remember when our own system was only a 100 above that as the commercial requirement and we all ran around on those puddle jumpers. I think even Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had more hours as well and flew in his own uniform.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SocialD said:

The key to getting lost on the airport is to never admit it.  Just keep moving and hope you figure it out soon.  

A few days ago in CAE, we had a Bonanza request progressive after receiving one of the easiest taxi instructions I've ever heard.  Tower, keyed the mic 3 or 4 times (likely thinking WTF) and finally said just follow the 717.  We taxied an little further ahead and made a right on to the runway.  I'm guessing their iPad died 🤣.   

Yup that’s what queued me in. We taxied a bit then slowed suspiciously then made a 180 and back the same route to the other runway. I do have to admit that Watertown, SD is up there with O’hare in complex taxiing so I’ll cut them some slack.

• Haha 2

O’Hare is painful at times. Especially when you’re at SE Cargo and you find out you need to get your bird to the NE Cargo ramp to load before departure. Somebody messed up and we paid the over an hour taxi movement fee. Still better than Shanghai, especially when the home teams are up and running as you always take a back seat.

I may have taxied in Ohare from the runway to the gate without ever getting a spare second of radio time to make contact with ground.  Just jumped into the flow and no one noticed us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Agree wholeheartedly. Remember when our own system was only a 100 above that as the commercial requirement and we all ran around on those puddle jumpers. I think even Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had more hours as well and flew in his own uniform.

LISTEN KID.  I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at Embry Riddle.  I'm out here doing ground ops every night.  Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the taxiway for 48 minutes. - Roger Murdock

Edited by guineapigfury
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Smokin said:

I may have taxied in Ohare from the runway to the gate without ever getting a spare second of radio time to make contact with ground.  Just jumped into the flow and no one noticed us.

Was long as you are moving and not blocking the flow, I don't think they care.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

if only the ohare ground (singular, which is INSANE) controller would talk faster and with a more stressful tone things might move more efficiently

Fast

Frantic

FUCK YOU DONT STOP MOVING!

the new 3c comm

My favorite: the ground controller that leaves the mic keyed while she thinks through her next move.

”UA534 continue on bravo then, uhhhmm, no that’s not gonna work, just keep going and I’ll get back to you, break, let’s see who’s next, oh yeah, DL1276 I see you already parked on the bravo pad, that will work let me know when ramp is ready for you, who am I forgetting…”

FFS let go of the fucking mic already!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

if only the ohare ground (singular, which is INSANE) controller would talk faster and with a more stressful tone things might move more efficiently

Fast

Frantic

the new 3c comm

Sounds familiar, be like JFK is what you’re saying. I’ll take the monotone, self- critiquing, slower ORD, unless it's the JFK “follow the 76 Widget in front of you - your number 29” conga line that’s easy enough. 

Sad we can’t be like Korea. “Eksit KiRo foRRow da gureenz…” slight language barrier here and there, but so much simpler…

5 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

Fast

Frantic

the new 3c comm

There are two ground controllers at O'Hare.

.75 and .9 if I remember correctly. Either way, there's two, *and* a metering frequency.

Are you thinking of JFK?

Edited by Lord Ratner

Any you remember when the ORD Ground instructions were something like:  Taxi via the "Outer" to "Cargo" to the "Wedge"  to the "Inner"? 

I always told both my FOs and SOs (727)  to listening up and after exiting the runway to be prepared to write down the ORD Ground instructions.  And once, neither did, and fortunately, I knew the "Drill"...and so they bought drinks that night.

On the flip side I got to learn Part 121, ORD, JFK, LAX, MIA all during COVID, when there were only 5 planes moving.  Hell I cleared Runway 18 at EHAM and got to taxi to park with the tower (about a 5 mile taxi) as we were the only one moving on the entire airport.  

But you gotta love follow the greens man.  Everyone needs to get on board with that system.

• Like 2