The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

1 hour ago, ViperMan said:

Of course this has absolutely nothing to do with genetics. It's a simple energy conservation problem from Physics 101. Energy is neither created nor destroyed. Fats who want to convince me they're fat because of genetics are asking me to believe a conspiracy theory.

What's wild is how easy it is to lose weight when you're that fat.  Eat a little less and go for a walk once a day and they'll lose 30-50 pounds really quick.  

41 minutes ago, uhhello said:

What's wild is how easy it is to lose weight when you're that fat.  Eat a little less and go for a walk once a day and they'll lose 30-50 pounds really quick.  

Walking is the single most healthy and easiest exercise their is. It is not hard to walk multiple miles a day, yet we need pills and other shortcuts to solve what are truly simple problems. It's amazing to me what we've deceived ourselves into believing.

IMG_1552.thumb.png.2c563af83012bfd97da227038cc737c9.pngJust like someone else had found before me on their model above - I found a set of Atlas Air Decals for my model which sat at my desk expressly for one of our “Supreme Leaders” at the wing who wasn’t happy a bunch of us bailed to Giant well over a decade ago. Granted more than half have moved on, but I enjoyed the frowns back in the day.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Royal said:

What's the pulse on the SWA's TA? Dudes satisfied, indifferent, furious?

Merry Christmas to all.

From a WN bro:

“The FOs are really happy.  The CAs are mostly happy except for the CAs with 3 ex-wives that think they need to be WB pay above $400 TFP ($456/hour) which is a dream at best.”

20 minutes ago, BFM this said:

“The FOs are really happy.  The CAs are mostly happy except for the CAs with 3 ex-wives that think they need to be WB pay above $400 TFP ($456/hour) which is a dream at best.”

That checks.  Thankfully a lot of folks are picking the TA apart on the SWAPA forum but I have yet to see a major sticking point that would cause this to be shot down.  

One topic they're going back and forth over is whether the retro bonus payout will be hit with 1% union dues (in addition to all of the other stupid-high taxes).  If that's a major sticking point on the forum, it's probably hardly being discussed on the line at all.

All-in-all it seems like it will pass.  We definitely didn't maximize the leverage we have at the moment, but there are a bunch of QOL gains that could be lucrative to the pilots assuming scheduling doesn't change its penchant for doing whatever SkySolver tells it to do (which is partly why we ended up melting down... oooooh, about one year ago). And if they do modify their behavior, I guess there will be a a lot fewer reroutes, with which I am totally fine.

SWA:
Seems like a pretty big win on most fronts. The pay is higher than it seems due to the TFP to hours conversion being a completely made up metric. But with guarantee being a lot higher than the other airlines, I just don’t see how anyone could complain about the pay. The new “stackable” overrides will absolutely punish the company if they don’t do a good job running an efficient and effective airline and make the FOs and Capts an absolute metric $#!+ ton of money. The union didn’t even want to secretly cost analysis the ask because they knew if it somehow leaked out, the sticker shock would cause SWA to immediately balk. From what it looks like to me, we got everything we asked for but as always there are people who won’t be happy. I had been on the fence to jump to Delta, and glad I didn’t. With no PBS, the best work rules in the industry, highest guarantee, being able to pickup, drop and move my schedule pretty freely and more scheduled days off than anyone else, it fits for me and my family’s lifestyle. I’ve done enough international flying in the military, doing it for another 25 years doesn’t move the needle for me. I may jump on the ETOPS train out in Las Vegas after the kids graduate just to see how I like that schedule, but overall, I am extremely happy. For the first time in my SWA career, I would actually recommend coming here. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Duck said:

SWA:
Seems like a pretty big win on most fronts. The pay is higher than it seems due to the TFP to hours conversion being a completely made up metric. But with guarantee being a lot higher than the other airlines, I just don’t see how anyone could complain about the pay. The new “stackable” overrides will absolutely punish the company if they don’t do a good job running an efficient and effective airline and make the FOs and Capts an absolute metric $#!+ ton of money. The union didn’t even want to secretly cost analysis the ask because they knew if it somehow leaked out, the sticker shock would cause SWA to immediately balk. From what it looks like to me, we got everything we asked for but as always there are people who won’t be happy. I had been on the fence to jump to Delta, and glad I didn’t. With no PBS, the best work rules in the industry, highest guarantee, being able to pickup, drop and move my schedule pretty freely and more scheduled days off than anyone else, it fits for me and my family’s lifestyle. I’ve done enough international flying in the military, doing it for another 25 years doesn’t move the needle for me. I may jump on the ETOPS train out in Las Vegas after the kids graduate just to see how I like that schedule, but overall, I am extremely happy. For the first time in my SWA career, I would actually recommend coming here. Just my 2 cents.

How many hours of actually FAR flying time do SWA guys do per month? What's the range for normal lines, and what do the hustlers pull off?

Remember that fucked up divorce you went through? How's life now?

Edited by Lord Ratner
  • Like 1

How many hours of actually FAR flying time do SWA guys do per month? What's the range for normal lines, and what do the hustlers pull off?

Remember that ed up divorce you went through? How's life now?

I’m currently on mil leave finishing up my retirement but looking at the January Bid lines out of Orlando they varied from 60-80 hours, some of them with 18 days off for the month. Since I’ve been gone for a couple years, I’m not sure what the high time flyers are getting, so I’ll leave that question for an active guy. Before I left though, the sky was the limit and as long as it was legal and you could put it on your board, you could bank $$$.

Personally, life is great. I ended up having to take my ex back to court and won full custody of the kids (hence the reason I am putting the airline life on hold temporarily and finishing up the mil career). We are all extremely happy. I did end up getting remarried and she has been amazing and my kids all call her “mom”. My older two have pretty much nothing to do with their birth mom, and my youngest is the only one that goes for any sort of visitation. It’s funny what a little bit of wisdom, maturity and life experience will do for the second time around.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 12

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Meanwhile at Alaska…

The shroom master strikes again!

1 hour ago, SpeedOfHeat said:

Boeing stock….

IMG_1586.gif

If it's Boeing, it ain't growing. 

• Haha 2

This is a good video of how those mid cabin doors are used and de-activated. I suspect that some of the bolts were either not installed or not properly torqued down and the door moved up when it hit some turbulence. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the bolts weren't torqued down correctly.  We're not the only ones facing a shortage with a bunch of newbs on the line.  Last year, I had a nose wheel fall off the bearing on taxi out.  Both wheels had been changed that morning in ATL and the old timer mech at BNA was certain they weren't torqued down properly.  Thankful it did happen rolling down the runway.  

Reminded me of another funny (kinda) story.  Picking a jet up from the depot at Hill, I struck up a conversation with one of the mechanics.  I asked the guy if he had been a crew chief or something in the AF?  His answer...Nope, 9 months ago I was a carpenter building houses.  Suddenly I wasn't so excited about exiting VFR and staying low through Weber canyon below a cloud deck.  

Edited by SocialD

2 hours ago, Smokin said:

Wasn't even an exit row.  Apparently it could be configured as an exit row, but it was not an emergency exit door as that particular airplane was equipped.

Structurally it’s still a door. 
it just has a plug in it vs a door with hinges and such. 

8697_ak_hero_plane_16x9_mbr_m1a.thumb.png.063e8e683f4d2be8812de1ce1f9347fb.png

5 hours ago, SocialD said:

answer...Nope, 9 months ago I was a carpenter building houses.  Suddenly I wasn't so excited about exiting VFR and staying low through Weber canyon below a cloud deck.  

Nuts.