F-15E Down in Libya

Is there such a thing as a WSO who is also a pilot? Or is this article just twice as wrong?

No, they're wrong. Pilots can sit in the back seat in training missions, but WSOs are not "also pilots".

Over the years the media has proven that they don't know the difference between a pilot and a WSO.

Most of the Air Force probably doesn't know the difference, so I wouldn't expect much from the media.

U.S. Elaborates on Jet Mishap

The F-15E Strike Eagle fighter was flying just before midnight Tuesday at

22,000 feet over northeastern Libya when its engines pitched out.In the frantic seconds that followed, the plane's pilot and weapon systems

officer decided they had no choice but to eject.

I hate it when my engines pitch out.

"What do you do with an elephant with three balls?"

"Walk him and pitch to the rhino."

- Ramona (Hot Shots: Part Deux)

I sure hope MY engines never "pitch out" (does ANYONE have any idea what that means?...other than the idiots in the media have absolutely NO F***ING IDEA what they are talking about...)

I'm not saying I don't believe everything uncle sam tells me, but what are the chances of a dual engine failure at 22k in a strike eagle?

Greater than dual flameout over hostile territory, ejecting, and being rescued relatively unscathed.

I know a downed aircrew situation is not a good time to start a turf war...but DAMMIT! The first real CSAR in years and the Marines get the call! WTF. :bash:

Didn't the Marines get the call to grab Scott O'Grady out of Serbia during Op Allied Force too?

I'm not saying I don't believe everything uncle sam tells me, but what are the chances of a dual engine failure at 22k in a strike eagle?

When turbine wheels let go big enough to blow big holes in the top of the engine compartment, I'm thinking the chances are pretty good.

usarmytmw.jpg

I know a downed aircrew situation is not a good time to start a turf war...but DAMMIT! The first real CSAR in years and the Marines get the call! WTF. :bash:

Seriously, that is your concern?