Latest Movies

B*D*A

Since my post was about a book on the movie Red Dawn, I thought it appropriate to post here; but the subsequent comments concerning books better belong in the thread so I moved them there.

"Olympus has Fallen" looks like an "Air Force One"/"Under Siege" Combo movie of fail.

Against all advice I went to see this. Words cannot describe how bad it was on all levels and I am not a movie snob by any means. Not even worth the $1.20 redbox will charge in 6 months.

• Upvote 1

Saw GI Joe Retaliation, it wasn't too terrible - far better than the original. It's not exactly Batman Begins good, but still pretty decent, give it a C+ or B-...

oh and if Olympus has Fallen was shitty, there's a direct clone coming out later this June called "White House Down" starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx. So I guess that's this year's Armageddon/Deep Impact duo.

Edited by Clayton Bigsby

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Oblivion. Saw it in IMAX. Definitely worth the extra $$$, the sound and visuals are pretty amazing and Tom Cruise actually does a pretty decent job. Even the wifey liked it, and she isn't a scifi fan very often.

I liked Oblivion. Saw it in IMAX. Definitely worth the extra $$$, the sound and visuals are pretty amazing and Tom Cruise actually does a pretty decent job. Even the wifey liked it, and she isn't a scifi fan very often.

I agree. Watched it this weekend. Wife generally doesn't dig sci-fi but that's the deal if I'm expected to sit through her movies. She actually liked it as well. Several good twists in the plot, and when the movie slows down (there are a few slow spots) the visuals and effects help you through those moments. Movies like this are truly Cruise's element, as opposed to other roles he's played where he just doesn't fit, so the acting was fairly strong. A few minor things make you ask "how come they did this" or "why is that like this..." but I think most of those gaps could have resolutions that aren't answered in the film, unlike other films like this where there are huge plot holes making the whole premise seem ridiculous.

Finally, I really wish they made something like that bubble aircraft Cruise flies in the movie...looks fun.