Baseops Forums
Guest e3racing

Promotion and PRF Information

2 hours ago, brabus said:

And some orders are USERRA exempt, meaning you’ll get more than 5 years of building seniority...if you can stand to stay full time mil that long. 

The grass is so much greener...

Your if statement is a major qualifier there.  Many of us can't even stand the thought of going on a 2 year order to get the big bonus.  This is why I'll never understand why the ANG didn't push for the 1 year big bonus, like the AFR was able to get.  Also, there are tons of USERRA exempt orders...up on the staff (no sts).  The same staff that has denied adding a few vital positions to the list of USERRA exempt status.  

As for the rest of this thread.  Having a boss who doesn't use the proper words, or not having the "right" medals/titles...what a fucked up system.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

Are there civilian jobs that are NOT pilot jobs where seniority matters?

I don’t know, general statement was made based off airline hiring. I get that doesn't apply to everyone. 

On 7/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, pawnman said:

Two MSMs.  Top two OPRs are the strongest ones, where I got the FGO/Maj strats.

Sounds fairly similar to my situation 10 years ago.  I worked my way into a staff gig so I'd have my PRF written there vs the tanker school house.  Worked according to plan, but I also believe I would not gotten the nod for Lt Col had I taken a 4th flying assignment.  Regardless of board instructions, the O-6s sitting on the board got there following a path, and that path doesn't look like a fly only track.  If you wind up there on purpose or held by your community, O-4 is most likely where you'll top out.     

11 hours ago, pawnman said:

ACSC complete, only negative indicator is that I've never left the community to do staff, never did instructor duty at PCola, never went ALO, and I didn't DG from SOS.  I even did a Master's, before they were masked on the board.

No LORs, no failed PT tests, no Q-2 or Q-3 check rides.

Bro, I don't know what's going on. Your PRF looked pretty darn good to me. I've got another 4 years until I'm IPZ for O-5, but I'm already debating if it's worth playing the game and hoping for the best or do what I want and focus on being a lethal pilot.

3 hours ago, Spaceballs said:

do what I want and focus on being a lethal pilot.

This... 

14 hours ago, Spaceballs said:

Bro, I don't know what's going on. Your PRF looked pretty darn good to me. I've got another 4 years until I'm IPZ for O-5, but I'm already debating if it's worth playing the game and hoping for the best or do what I want and focus on being a lethal pilot.

Being a lethal pilot and progressing in one’s career don’t HAVE to be mutually exclusive...yes one of those paths means flying less as you get older; but at the end of the day, don’t we want the “lethal pilots” being the ones in charge?  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dream big said:

Being a lethal pilot and progressing in one’s career don’t HAVE to be mutually exclusive...yes one of those paths means flying less as you get older; but at the end of the day, don’t we want the “lethal pilots” being the ones in charge?  

One would think so.  We want the "lethal" officers on the line and the lethal ones from there who can (and want to) make the transition to operational and strategic levels to be in charge.  Hopefully breaking out the categories next year allows boards to make a more nuanced evaluation regarding who these folks are, rather than counting boxes checked and reading code that may or may not have been intentional.

Had lunch with the deputy OG today... Turns out Dyess has not promoted a WSO in the last four years.  Fun times.

Not a single WSO has made O-5 in 4 years? How is that possible?

41 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Not a single WSO has made O-5 in 4 years? How is that possible?

Won’t release your guys to staff when that is an assignment that is still a heavy discriminator on the promotion board. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

Won’t release your guys to staff when that is an assignment that is still a heavy discriminator on the promotion board. 

We have a winner.  Also, small sample size... Like six guys.  But one was a guy with a DP IPZ who got passed over.

50 minutes ago, pawnman said:

We have a winner.  Also, small sample size... Like six guys.  But one was a guy with a DP IPZ who got passed over.

Jesus...just reading this invokes -

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

47c9418a2f305ca212e58b86b605fdd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

Wrong--some guys are getting "chosen" to go to staff, just not the ones who aren't.

Reference my post from last week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Wrong--some guys are getting "chosen" to go to staff, just not the ones who aren't.

Reference my post from last week.

Well, they keep removing people from the VML.  The ONLY people we've sent to staff in the last three years were people who went to school first.  I can't remember the last time someone left Dyess for staff without going to Maxwell first.

7 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Well, they keep removing people from the VML.  The ONLY people we've sent to staff in the last three years were people who went to school first.  I can't remember the last time someone left Dyess for staff without going to Maxwell first.

With fewer staff jobs being filled then they're going to go to those at the top.  Are you saying that in the last 3 years not 1 B-1 WSO in the AF who was a senior Captain/junior Major got sent to a staff job without going to IDE first?  

That checks. First priority goes to IDE grads. I can’t believe I actually got a staff assignment.

Rated Staff is being capped at 65%.

At least in AFSOC we are having a tough time. We’re not even filling primary HHQ evaluator / training positions due to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

With fewer staff jobs being filled then they're going to go to those at the top.  Are you saying that in the last 3 years not 1 B-1 WSO in the AF who was a senior Captain/junior Major got sent to a staff job without going to IDE first?  

That is almost exactly what I am saying.  I can't speak for AF wide, but Dyess has not sent a single WSO to a staff job without going to school first for several years.

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

That is almost exactly what I am saying.  I can't speak for AF wide, but Dyess has not sent a single WSO to a staff job without going to school first for several years.

I want to say that's straight up a Bomber Porch policy (i.e. I've seen it on their MyPers page or in a VML Webinar).

18 hours ago, pawnman said:

Not to worry, with the BOne on it’s ass there will be plenty of staff jobs for those dudes soon. Problem solved.

Chuck

1513EB5E-8745-4C7C-A45F-8FAB9C717568.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck17 said:

Not to worry, with the BOne on it’s ass there will be plenty of staff jobs for those dudes soon. Problem solved.

Chuck

1513EB5E-8745-4C7C-A45F-8FAB9C717568.png

As always, my timing is impeccable.

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2019 at 10:12 PM, Right Seat Driver said:

Devil's advocate, not every non-flyer deserves to be promoted. With that being said, when the promotion rates for rated dudes are 6.9% less than the non-flyer's it sends a message to the rated force.

The Air Force is in the business of projecting power and blowing shit up through airpower. I can't speak for promotion rates in the Army, but I am certain my few Army Infantry buddies would have the same complaints if the combat arms branches in the Army promoted at lower rates than the non-combat arms branches.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, chili said:

What?

See RSD’s reply above.

i don’t believe everyone should get promoted just because they are a pilot, but it speaks volumes that pilots aren’t getting promoted at the highest rate if they so desperately need them, especially experienced pilots.

• Like 1

It’s been shown that a pilots job can be done by an Enlisted guy in a GCS.  

Technology is a bitch    

Just now, bennynova said:

It’s been shown that a pilots job can be done by an Enlisted guy in a GCS.  

Technology is a bitch    

I'll believe it when they start putting them in cockpits instead of shipping containers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

I'll believe it when they start putting them in cockpits instead of shipping containers.

You got it backwards man. They are putting the cockpits in the shipping containers. 

• Upvote 1