Radio etiquette

Guest rotorhead

I remember specifically while doing Instruments and on in T-6s at Vance, it was standard procedure to say "Clearance Delivery, XXXX 69, clearance on request, ready to copy" - at which time they'd give you the clearance, you'd read back, brakes off lets go.

Ugggg..... "clearance on request" IS A CONTROLLER PHRASE! I'm astonished how many people don't understand that.

Man, you guys are a bunch of ate up mother fuckers! T-6 assignments for all of you! About the only time I get pissed at comm, is if we're in a stack, about to employ, and extraneous comm is hindering our ability to drop. Other than that, you can say whatever the fuck you want.

Building poor habit patterns...

• Upvote 2

The instructor rogered up (they are the individuals with radios controls for the vast majority of each sortie) that in fact it was important that we remain brief on the comm freqs because when you get downrange, freqs are so clogged up that you have to be smart with what you transmit.

Ok, I have to ask...what the fuck does "rogered up" mean? It's like the term "you tracking?" who the fuck uses this shit?These two terms are way more annoying than any stupid shit I hear on the radio.

Edited by SocialD

and also the Pilot/Controller Glossary.

when ATC calls out traffic to you, and you see the traffic, the proper response is "Traffic in sight". The word "Visual" does not appear in the PCG.

when ATC calls out traffic to you, and you see the traffic, the proper response is "Traffic in sight". The word "Visual" does not appear in the PCG.

Hmmm...I could have sworn I saw the phase, "I've got him on the fish finder," in there somewhere!

• Upvote 2

I usually use "traffic in sight, blow me" when I"m fortunate enough to be 1,000' above the conflict.

Nothing more liberating that a solid 'see ya' at KAF. F comm procedures, I don't mind a personable moment in the midst of a hellhole.

Big difference between a SEEEEYA and someone saying dumb, redundant shit because in their head it sounds like something that should be said on the radio.

At least "Moose" should know the route. Our radios and interphone are ok, not great. Real problem is the upgrade process (MPD) that watered down traditional OTJ co-pilot seasoning. IFM vs. old school charts and cfp planning didn't help either. Go into Hong Kong for the 169th time with your day job company, then watch the Reach crew melt down trying the arrival that you briefed them, including the R/T isms...

I tend to rant on interphone when I hear people say dumb shit on the radio - even did it when I was a CP. So one day the smartass I'm flying with chimed in with this:

"Ali Center Good morning, CHROME XX, checking in, level at flight level 200 at this time, with the flash."

My eyeballs started to bleed.

You guys wouldn't last one day at the airlines! You're heads would either explode, or the other pilot would choke you by the end of the trip! Though I do agree about sticking to regs, you gotta know what regs are more important and more simply, when to pull the stick out of your asses.

We herk guys are the worst, we like to tell our life stories every time we key the mic. But nothing is worse than a clear, concise and correct radio call to ATC or 2 and getting "say again" in return, only to restate the call or having to explain the brevity that you used.

Valid, but it does appear in AFTTP 3-2.5 BREVITY & I'd rather guys use that properly than read the PCG.

• Upvote 1

Man, you guys are a bunch of ate up mother fuckers! T-6 assignments for all of you! About the only time I get pissed at comm, is if we're in a stack, about to employ, and extraneous comm is hindering our ability to drop. Other than that, you can say whatever the fuck you want.

If you can't get the radio comms right in the easy, non-stressful times, what are the odds that you'll get it right when it really matters?

Negative bro. Apples and oranges although shoes can't tell the difference. Radio comms can get people killed. Sunglasses on my head won't. People that can't tell the difference lack situational awareness.

People that get everything right except not shutting the f up annoy the crap out of me. I have to wonder if it is some disorder where the situation generates so much adrenaline they simply don't know what to do.

My favorite one in this situation, and I have heard them numerous times, is "tally" and "no-joy".

Edited by cryoglobin