Fighter Aircrew Conditioning Test (FACT) info

Guest MLH

I definitely fell into the "walking to and from buffalo wild wings" category. During UPT, I subsisted primarily on a diet of hard liquor and Reese Cups. I did the breathing exercise and strain my first couple of G exs then realized I didn't need to, so I just faked it by making the stupid breathing sounds the rest of the way through T-6s. Granted, we only went to about 7 gs, but I never had any ill effects. Maybe those last 2 gs are a motherfucker, I don't know. The guys who were in great shape were also the same ones puking their guts out. The best way to test G tolerance is probably to actually test G tolerance. If only we had a couple of centrifuges ...

If only we had a couple of centrifuges ...

You do not know what you ask for!! The centrifuge has the distinction of being the least fun experience I've probably ever had. I have NEVER felt so sick than in that thing. You are correct though - there seems to be very little, to no correlation between physical fitness and g-tolerance. The guys that have less natural tolerance really need the core and lower body strength, as well as good technique.

Your body seems to adapt as well - i.e. it gets easier the more you fly. I would say that 8-9g's is not 20-30% harder than 6g's, it's much more so. It's definitely not linear. It's also much easier in the jet than in the centrifuge for some reason. But if you don't have to strain for six - it shouldn't be too difficult to get those extra two or three.

I definitely fell into the "walking to and from buffalo wild wings" category. During UPT, I subsisted primarily on a diet of hard liquor and Reese Cups. I did the breathing exercise and strain my first couple of G exs then realized I didn't need to, so I just faked it by making the stupid breathing sounds the rest of the way through T-6s. Granted, we only went to about 7 gs, but I never had any ill effects. Maybe those last 2 gs are a motherfucker, I don't know. The guys who were in great shape were also the same ones puking their guts out. The best way to test G tolerance is probably to actually test G tolerance. If only we had a couple of centrifuges ...

And I would argue you missed the point of why we teach students to G strain in the T-6. It has more to do with teaching habit patterns for those that might end up in an aircraft that the G strain needs to be instinctive. Fighter FTUs shouldn't be wasting time teaching students to G strain correctly. They should have learned and practiced in SUPT.

• Upvote 1

You do not know what you ask for!! The centrifuge has the distinction of being the least fun experience I've probably ever had.

I agree that studs should be practicing their AGSM at the lower Gs to make it instinctive at higher Gs. However, I would argue that the first time you hit 9G's in the sim or that 9K' TC entry on OB-1 is where you really learn how to AGSM.

I would argue that the first time you hit 9G's in the sim or that 9K' TC entry on OB-1 is where you really learn how to AGSM.

Wow. You guys must have awsome sims in the fighting falcon. Do you wear your g-suit in the sim to handle those 9Gs? Do they feel the same as 9Gs in the jet or is it more like the how the centrifuge feels? Do the sim operators debrief your L-1 breathing over the intercom? I wouldn't want to be the first guy to GLOC in the sim. That would be embarrassing.

Edited by Danny Noonin

I agree that studs should be practicing their AGSM at the lower Gs to make it instinctive at higher Gs. However, I would argue that the first time you hit 9G's in the sim or that 9K' TC entry on OB-1 is where you really learn how to AGSM.

You don't need to pull 9Gs for good BFM.

• 3 months later...

Just an update. The new AETCI 11-406 came out in March and basically did away with the FACT. That being said, I know they're still doing it at Vance. I don't know about the other bases though.

This document is substantially revised and must be completely reviewed. Major changes include

eliminating the Fighter Aircrew Conditioning Test, replacing it with aircrew fitness Education

and Assessment.

Long and short of everything is summed up pretty well with the following:

UFT students must receive FACP Education and Assessment during the preflight phase.

Those students tracked to fighter/bomber continue to participate in FACP during the

advanced phase. Students who track-select to Low-G aircraft are not required to participate

in FACP, but may participate on a voluntary basis.

• 10 months later...

Here's what they do at Vance now:

You get one minute for each exercise, and theoretically one minute of rest between each. The exercises (and min reps):

40 crunches with your feet up on a couch

40 air squats

40 lunges (20 per leg and you can switch legs each rep or do 20 and 20, however you want)

40 side crunches (lay down and put your right ankle on your left knee, then put your hands behind your head and bring your left elbow to your right knee, and vice versa) (20 per side)

10 burpees

5 pullups (with your palms away from you)

Also, it's pretty unclear what the requirements really are. In T-6's you do not have to pass; if you fail any component they just give you a workout plan. They said if you track T-38's you just have to improve on your previous score. So I'm not really sure when or if you ever really have to actually pass.

It's pretty easy anyway though... The only area anyone really had trouble with was pullups cause some dudes just don't do pullups I guess.

Here's what they do at Vance now:

You get one minute for each exercise, and theoretically one minute of rest between each. The exercises (and min reps):

40 crunches with your feet up on a couch

40 air squats

40 lunges (20 per leg and you can switch legs each rep or do 20 and 20, however you want)

40 side crunches (lay down and put your right ankle on your left knee, then put your hands behind your head and bring your left elbow to your right knee, and vice versa) (20 per side)

10 burpees

5 pullups (with your palms away from you)

Also, it's pretty unclear what the requirements really are. In T-6's you do not have to pass; if you fail any component they just give you a workout plan. They said if you track T-38's you just have to improve on your previous score. So I'm not really sure when or if you ever really have to actually pass.

It's pretty easy anyway though... The only area anyone really had trouble with was pullups cause some dudes just don't do pullups I guess.

Not sure if this is a Laughlin-ism but we also:

Did not stop moving between exercises meaning if you stopped doing crunches you had to run in place, or do jumping jacks in the mean time while we switched. So I just kept going past max reps.

And then when you were done with that circuit you had to:

Leg press your body weight 30 times

Wall-sit for 1 minute

6 inch leg extension (starting position for flutter kicks) for 1 minute.

Edited by the g-man

The dude (flt/CC) is probably the smartest person I've meet on the subject of human performance. Über smart. He has somewhere in the range of 3-5 patents pending for workout/athletic supplements. But yes, I'm sure he's using it to test some theory. UPT lab rats, if you will.

Has there actually been any data to show that success on the FACT leads to better G tolerance? Or more specifically that someone who fails the FACT can't pull the 7 Gs in a 38?

I barely passes whatever version of the FACT Vance had a few years ago (those hack squats almost did my skinny legs in) and I had no problem passing the centrifuge before 38s

Edited by KState_Poke22

The dude (flt/CC) is probably the smartest person I've meet on the subject of human performance. Über smart. He has somewhere in the range of 3-5 patents pending for workout/athletic supplements. But yes, I'm sure he's using it to test some theory. UPT lab rats, if you will.

Is it the short gray haired capt.? And I thought this was a standardized test?

Has there actually been any data to show that success on the FACT leads to better G tolerance? Or more specifically that someone who fails the FACT can't pull the 7 Gs in a 38?

I barely passes whatever version of the FACT Vance had a few years ago (those hack squats almost did my skinny legs in) and I had no problem passing the centrifuge before 38s

Well considering the handful of reservist Lt. Cols that I saw walking to the jets, that look like they ate a small child before the brief, I would say probably not.